2003 Soccer Demographics Report Released

hamiltonfan

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1607

Canadian Soccer Association

Friday, February 06, 2004

2003 Soccer Demographics Report Released

The Canadian Soccer Association today released their 2003 Soccer Demographics Report which again showed an increase in overall soccer registration in Canada, surpassing the 800,000 mark. The total number of Canadians playing soccer is 825,031 which translates into a 4.5% increase or 35,742 additional players from 2002.

Female registration has increased by 12% or 35,718 players. This is the largest growth recorded since 1999, when female stats were first documented. The large increase in female registration is in part due to the success of the FIFA U-19 Women’s Championship which took place in August/September 2002. The Canadian Women’s U-19 Team earned the silver medal.

The Ontario Soccer Association remains the province in Canada with the most registered players (362,723) but it was the Yukon Soccer Association which saw the greatest increase in players at an impressive 17%.

For more detailed information, please check out the 2003 Demographics report on the CSA web-site at www.canadasoccer.com/eng/docs or email Valerie Kowal at vkowal@soccercan.ca.

I have always wondered why there were so few players from Quebec who have played international football (rugby as well)or represented canada on the national team. I have always assumed that participation in the game must be low in Quebec. These numbers show however that soccer registration is in proportion to that province's population within the country.

From what I have seen, there are some excellent facilities, including indoor full sized field-turf pitches. Pro teams always seem to draw well, indicating that the game is popular. The Impact have the second best attendance numbers in the A-League.

All of this begs the question....Why have there been so few international calibre soccer players from quebec?

I'm gonna say that in the past, Canadian national soccer teams have had a "type" of player in mind: "disciplined" system players and, let's face it, players of British descent. Seeing as 80% of Québec is not of British descent, that ruled out (moreso in the past) a few potential candidates. Another aspect of this is that Canadians of British ancestry could/can play in Europe/UK, while among the best players in the province, probably Italians have the best chance of playing in a half-decent league abroad (who's going to advance their career by going to play in El Salvador, Algeria, Congo, Haiti, etc.?). Also, scouting in Québec has been erratic, and pre-Impact, there is a lack of pro infrastructure.

Currently, I'd say that some players in Québec are extremely talented but don't have a very disciplined mentality, which is crucial to national team recruiting and pro integration. A lot of Haitian, Latino and African & Arabic (most recently) talents have been emerging, but don't get to follow through (I've played with a few, and money is definitely a huge issue - provincial teams cost money). This results in very good "playground"-style players playing in senior amateur league, but unfortunately for Québec and Canada, not much on the North American stage.

However, with the Impact's new mandate to develop Québec talent (almost all our Canadians are from Québec) has helped a LOT. Just need to look at the Florida camp and Barbados game. What we need is a free youth squad to develop players that can strengthen the calibre provincially and nationally. A team in Québec City would be huge for aspiring-pros (which are more rare when talking to people of non-European parents/grand-parents) and for motivating fringe players to excel.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1607

The Canadian Soccer Association today released their 2003 Soccer Demographics Report which again showed an increase in overall soccer registration in Canada, surpassing the 800,000 mark. The total number of Canadians playing soccer is 825,031 which translates into a 4.5% increase or 35,742 additional players from 2002.

Blah, blah, blah. Wonk, wonk, wonk.

I hate this stat. At least they didn't tell us how "there are more kids playing soccer than hockey" (implying that soccer is more popular than hockey -- it's not).

I have two questions.

1)- how many of the 825,031 are four years old?

And 2) - how many of the 825,031 are playing at an elite level (hell, playing at all) after the age of 12?

I'll give you a hint -- a lot, and not many.

The CSA has done a good job a convincing people of the fitness benefits of playing soccer. The CSA has done a rotten job at convincing people that soccer is a sport that a Canadian can have a future in.

While I agree with your assessment that soccer is not as popular as ice hockey in Canada, I will still say that these stats are significant.

I will also say that, through my involvement with youth soccer since the early '80s, the game is far more popular now amongst teens than it was then. That is both playing and watching. While I would agree that there are many younger kids playing the game, there are many more teens playing too. Granted the level of interest may vary from region to region in Canada.

In terms of general popularity, there must be some fan interest in Canada given amount of professional soccer shown on tv at present. It may not be Canadian soccer but it is professional soccer.

The best thing that could happen to Canadian soccer would be for more Canadians to arrive in the Big 4 leagues of Europe. If Canadian fans were to see one or two different Canadians playing at the top level every week, greater interest would develop in the Canadian National teams. It would also go a long way in reducing the scepticism about the quality of the Canadian game played locally.

I will also say, however, that the CSA has so far squandered the opportunity that these stats offer.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

The best thing that could happen to Canadian soccer would be for more Canadians to arrive in the Big 4 leagues of Europe. If Canadian fans were to see one or two different Canadians playing at the top level every week, greater interest would develop in the Canadian National teams. It would also go a long way in reducing the scepticism about the quality of the Canadian game played locally.

As always, CO, you make excellent points.

I can't help that think, though, as right as you are about the benefit of even more Canucks in the Big 4 in Europe, it would be of mere incremental benefit rather than exponential benefit. The sad sociological fact is that Canadians by-and-large measure success through the looking glass of the American media/culture/framework:(.

Although I am amongst those who think that the negatives of MLS expansion in Canada[}:)] outweigh the positives, it is the only clear avenue I see for an exponential increase in soccer and Canadian player visibility in Canada, baring some unforeseen (by me) developments[8].

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'm gonna say that in the past, Canadian national soccer teams have had a "type" of player in mind: "disciplined" system players and, let's face it, players of British descent. Seeing as 80% of Québec is not of British descent, that ruled out (moreso in the past) a few potential candidates. Another aspect of this is that Canadians of British ancestry could/can play in Europe/UK, while among the best players in the province, probably Italians have the best chance of playing in a half-decent league abroad (who's going to advance their career by going to play in El Salvador, Algeria, Congo, Haiti, etc.?). Also, scouting in Québec has been erratic, and pre-Impact, there is a lack of pro infrastructure.

Currently, I'd say that some players in Québec are extremely talented but don't have a very disciplined mentality, which is crucial to national team recruiting and pro integration. A lot of Haitian, Latino and African & Arabic (most recently) talents have been emerging, but don't get to follow through (I've played with a few, and money is definitely a huge issue - provincial teams cost money). This results in very good "playground"-style players playing in senior amateur league, but unfortunately for Québec and Canada, not much on the North American stage.

However, with the Impact's new mandate to develop Québec talent (almost all our Canadians are from Québec) has helped a LOT. Just need to look at the Florida camp and Barbados game. What we need is a free youth squad to develop players that can strengthen the calibre provincially and nationally. A team in Québec City would be huge for aspiring-pros (which are more rare when talking to people of non-European parents/grand-parents) and for motivating fringe players to excel.

Sounds reasonable. But I would question one point, you stated:"Also, scouting in Québec has been erratic, and pre-Impact, there is a lack of pro infrastructure". Well there have been very successfull pro clubs in the past in the NASL and CSL. Using this argument, I would ask, what advantage in pro infrastructures do Vancouver and Toronto have?. I can only think of the climate factor in Vancouver ( meaning longer season) but besides that there is no difference.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Sounds reasonable. But I would question one point, you stated:"Also, scouting in Québec has been erratic, and pre-Impact, there is a lack of pro infrastructure". Well there have been very successfull pro clubs in the past in the NASL and CSL. Using this argument, I would ask, what advantage in pro infrastructures do Vancouver and Toronto have?. I can only think of the climate factor in Vancouver ( meaning longer season) but besides that there is no difference.

Re:4 year olds

You will find more 4 year olds registered in Hockey's numbers than in soccer due to insurance and liability issues.

Each of the provinces decide at what age players need to be registered so the CSA numbers are only the players registered by the Provinces not the number of players actively participating in the sport.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The Manic was successful for all of TWO years before crashing out in 1983. And the Supra never really caught on during the few years it was in the league (and it never was competitive).

Vancouver has had pro soccer for something like 25 of the past 30 years (I'm estimating). Toronto has had the NSL and a stronger CSL presence (2 teams) than Montréal has had in the past. Québec has only turned into a soccer hotbed since the 90's (playing since early late 80's - early 90's, watching the Impact since the final in 1994 on and watching international competitions - and caring - since France's 1998 WC). Of course, maybe this is all skewed because I'm only 20 :S. I can't remember the 1994 WC getting as much "ordinary" people watching as 1998, and 1982 was the exception, with the Italian community making it an event.

Archived