Canadians abroad: February 6-12, 2004

DJT

Some randon adds:

Iain Hume appears to have had four fine chances scoring once, forcing two "excellent saves" and one just inches wide at the close of the game.

Jim Brennan hit a post.

Keving McKenna - contrary to some reports - appears to have come on at 49 mins (according to Soccernet).

Bury (Dunfield) lost again to Carlisle, an intereseting sub plot to this is that Carlisle signed Bury's fired player manager a few months back, agreed not to play him against Bury in the first game and renegged on that agreement. This was the second game and the relegation bound Carlisle team has swept Bury, who probably will avoid relegation although they sorely deserve it.

Maybe a little off topic, since there isn't any serious footballing taking place in Sweden at the present, but you've always got the pre-season training games. Atiba Hutchinson's Helsingborg (without Atiba, obviously) played his former team Öster away friday night. The match was played in Öster's full-size indoor hall before a crowd of 700. Helsingborg lost 1-0.

Kenny Stamatopoulos and his Enköpings SK has also been on the road. Lost today 1-0 with Kenny in goal to Västerås SK (another 1st division team, Adam Braz played here last year), outside on artificial turf (and snow) with 200 watching.

Helsingborg has 11 and Enköping has 8 pre-season games planned. I'll write a line or two if something interesting happends.

Not for the 1st time and certainly not for the last time Gordon right, Cheeta wrong.

After seeing Gordon's post I scooted over to the Hearts 'sight and sure enough they've got McKenna coming on as a striker at 50 minutes. Now in my defense, I can honestly say I didn't hear him come on or hear his name mentioned that 2nd half. It was an early kick off and maybe I was a little hung, but Geezus.

Anyway, it was that sort of game for Hearts. I'd give it another listen except it was a pretty bad match.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Not for the 1st time and certainly not for the last time Gordon right, Cheeta wrong.

After seeing Gordon's post I scooted over to the Hearts 'sight and sure enough they've got McKenna coming on as a striker at 50 minutes. Now in my defense, I can honestly say I didn't hear him come on or hear his name mentioned that 2nd half.

Well he clearly didn't do much in his 40 minutes then. If your watching the game, miss a sub and then never hear his name you know he might as well not even been on.

In any event, the thing I like about this board is that on the odd occasion I can be right. Unlike my house where I have been wrong every time for nearly 16 years :)

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar came on m. 80 for Zahovic as Benfica beat Belenenses 0-2 in Portugal action. Benfica is now two back of 2nd place Sporting Lisbon and 9 away from leaders Porto.

Anyone hear they signed Zack Thornton, though he did not play today?

Guest Jeffery S.

Kevin de Serpa got what I think is his first start in Portuguese 2nd div this season with Penafiel, subbed off m. 77 in the Feb 8 game they lost away to Desportivo Aves, 1-0. Good show for Kevin, as he is called there. Pretty sure he was in the midfield as usual.

The team is 5th, 10 back of the leadership, having fallen off the promotion pace a bit in the last month or so.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Fernando Aguiar came on m. 80 for Zahovic as Benfica beat Belenenses 0-2 in Portugal action. Benfica is now two back of 2nd place Sporting Lisbon and 9 away from leaders Porto.

Anyone hear they signed Zack Thornton, though he did not play today?

At the risk of being off-topic and being vilifiled by the rabid anti-US contingent, I would add that a few high-profile players have gone to Europe season, leaving a few holes to fill in MLS lineups. Mathis to Hannover, McBride & Bocanegra to Fulham, and Thornton to Benfica. Cory Gibbs, American defender who was rumoured to be on his way from St. Pauli to Tam's Regensburg club, is instead returning to the MLS with the Dallas Burn.

Guest Jeffery S.

Michael Klukowski had a sad 90 for La Louvière as they were hit 0-4 at home vs. FC Bruges, today Wednesday. All goals came in the 2nd half.

Fernando Aguiar seemed to have a rough first half vs Nacional as Benfica did without him in the 2nd and came back to win 2-1 and go into the Portuguese Cup semi finals. He was not the only player changed at the half though.

Kevin de Serpa has a new coach at Penafiel, Manuel Fernandes, hope this does not alter his new role on the squad. The team I understand is three back from a promotion spot into top flight.

Guest Jeffery S.

Tomasz Radzinski was subbed off m. 59 as Everton fell 3-0 to Birmingham City. The team is flirting with relegation lately.

Kevin McKenna did not get off the bench in Hearts' 1-0 win over Aberdeen tonight. They remain third in the league.

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

The CSA actually gave a report about "Canucks Abroad". Says Peschesolido was dangerous too.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1611

On the other forum Varsity Tyler revealed that he wrote that report. The CSA used to do these reports themselves last season but I don't recall them doing any this season, so I guess Tyler stepped in to help out. Good job Tyler.

Archived