More Greek News!! (Daniel Fernandes)

George

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

is he in the first team then? or is this another hirsch signing? (is hirsch ever gonna get a chance!?!?! - he needs to or transfer NOW)

Hirsh is still very young. Nothing can replace the level of coaching he is getting day in, day out at Spurs. Not many keepers his age that are starting.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Probably just because it sounds much more glamorous.
They could be referring to his passport: I don't know if there is a limit to the number of foreigners allowed on Greek clubs, but if so then from PAOK's point of view an EU passport is more important than his national team and for all intents and purposes he is Portuguese. (I must give Jeffrey S. credit for this observation, which he has previously passed on to me with respect to some of our other players who are not listed as Canadians on European rosters.) Of course, they should probably still mention that he is Canadian, but that article looks really short so they probably just wanted to get the key details out.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

They could be referring to his passport: I don't know if there is a limit to the number of foreigners allowed on Greek clubs, but if so then from PAOK's point of view an EU passport is more important than his national team and for all intents and purposes he is Portuguese. (I must give Jeffrey S. credit for this observation, which he has previously passed on to me with respect to some of our other players who are not listed as Canadians on European rosters.) Of course, they should probably still mention that he is Canadian, but that article looks really short so they probably just wanted to get the key details out.

I know, but greek articles generally mention what country a player is from if it differs from their passport.

I'm just being picky, that's all. :D

Guest Jeffery S.

I have had word from Thunder over a week ago, but have kept it quiet. He went on trial there a few weeks ago and seemed to like it, in spite of cold. Also had possibilities in Portugal. Mentioned he had met Marcena who was loaned out soon after. The team is third I think, a perennial Champions qualifying team in Greece.

He plays under the Bosman rule as an EU, a Portuguese, which means he does not occupy a foreign spot. Reason for him being listed as such.

The idea would be that he could work his way up, as the current keepers are quite senior.

This fall Daniel was playing in Vancouver in the amateur leagues while sorting out his rather confusing autumn. Wish him all the best.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The team is third I think, a perennial Champions qualifying team in Greece.

I think you mean UEFA Cup, as PAOK have qualified for the Champions Cup only when they won the Greek title in 1976 and 1985. Certainly they generally have Olympiakos, Panathinaikos and AEK ahead of them.

Here is the keeper pecking order at PAOK courtesy of a reliable source at phantis.com.

1) Tochoroglou: vetran (1972) (sometimes shaky)

2) Atmatsidis: vetran (1969) (former national team keeper)

3) Porliotopoulos: vetran (1969) (instructed to find a new team)

4) Daniel (really the #3)

There are also two promising youngsters on PAOK's youth team: Vasilidadis and Andriopoulos.

I don't think Daniel's imediate prospects for 1st team football are great, but if he bides his time well he could be the number one in a few years.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I think you mean UEFA Cup, as PAOK have qualified for the Champions Cup only when they won the Greek title in 1976 and 1985. Certainly they generally have Olympiakos, Panathinaikos and AEK ahead of them.

I think you're right. Since the Champions' League inception, I don't remember PAOK ever finishing high enough to qualify. (Before this season, only the top two in the Greek League qualified for the CL.)

The smaller print below the headline talks about the debut of all the new signings shown in a friendly with Paulos Melas on Wednesday (which PAOK won 3-1).

BTW, the woman shown at the bottom is Beckham's alleged new home-wrecker (in case the photos weren't self-evident).[8D]

Archived