CUSL

aussoccerfan

The CUSL was an idea that never got off the ground. The "Blueprint" is available as a .pdf file by going to: http://members.shaw.ca/t.godwin/cusl/

As mentioned by Impact Supporter, the league was to incorporate the Canadian A-League teams to which more teams would be added. A CUSL champion would be chosen based on results of matches amongst the Canadian teams and A-League points would be recorded for those matches and also for matches played against US teams for standings within the A-League.

After X number of years of expansion and centralised management of the marketing and support functions of the league there would be enough viable teams to amicably withdraw from the A-League and become a fully-independant financially viable league.

It failed because no one was willing to front the cash (my personal estimate of what was needed was $10 million cdn) and when the A-League club owners found out that they personally were not going to be handed wads of cash they decided the whole idea could not work.

But that just the way I saw it as a part of the team that wrote the Blueprint and was part of the group trying to answer the questions the blueprint raised.

Aussiefan

Lets not forger the proposed "Double O" league in early 1990's

Ottawa/Outaoauis Pro Soccer League. Or the Double O league.

It was to have 8 pro teams, each with a budget of 5 million per year.

Kanata SuperHawks

Orleans Express United

Glebe Giant Tigers

Hull Hellnic Hellions

Gatineau St- Germain

Manotic Warriors of Doom

Ottawa Greek Otters

Each team was to aligned with a pro team from Europe, who would supply their marketing knowledge and any second team players of Canadian heritage that they may have had. Each team would be required to build a 12 thousand-seat stadium with nothing but the best grass fields.

The league fell apart when no European clubs returned calls and the huge multi million-dollar TV package with the CBC fell through.

Clarification for Drewsome: While the CUSL proposal came to incorporate the idea of an All-Canadain Division there was never any suggestion that while remaining part of the A-League the Canadian teams would not play American teams. The current A-league configuration has teams playing out of conference or division or whatever they are calling them this year.

The phrase that was used that really seemed to confuse people was "interlocking schedule". All it really meant was counting games against Canadian teams in both the overall A-League standings and also a seperate table for the CUSL. In fact it would have been much like the V-Cup is currently run.

quote:Originally posted by ted

The CUSL was an idea that never got off the ground. The "Blueprint" is available as a .pdf file by going to: http://members.shaw.ca/t.godwin/cusl/

As mentioned by Impact Supporter, the league was to incorporate the Canadian A-League teams to which more teams would be added. A CUSL champion would be chosen based on results of matches amongst the Canadian teams and A-League points would be recorded for those matches and also for matches played against US teams for standings within the A-League.

After X number of years of expansion and centralised management of the marketing and support functions of the league there would be enough viable teams to amicably withdraw from the A-League and become a fully-independant financially viable league.

It failed because no one was willing to front the cash (my personal estimate of what was needed was $10 million cdn) and when the A-League club owners found out that they personally were not going to be handed wads of cash they decided the whole idea could not work.

But that just the way I saw it as a part of the team that wrote the Blueprint and was part of the group trying to answer the questions the blueprint raised.

ted:

I know we have had disagreements and that you did not support the RCSL ''Super League'' concept for Canadian soccer. There were three reasons that I had defended the concept.(Though I felt they should play more than just 6 games)

1)The provincial select teams (such as Les Equipes de Quebec) needed to be full-on teams with a regular schedule, no just a few games here and there. (Even in some of the bigger provinces therecould be more than one select team) One such advantage with that is the players can gel as a team if they played more games.

2)VERY FEW Canadian cities could sustain a pro soccer team. Certainly not in Sherbooke, Cape Breton, Moose Jaw or Nanaimo. As well thes teams get very few spectators, except friends and family of the players.

3) It is also a question of using and improving on existing resources, such as the provincial select teams.

Just some thoughts.

quote:Originally posted by ted

The phrase that was used that really seemed to confuse people was "interlocking schedule". All it really meant was counting games against Canadian teams in both the overall A-League standings and also a seperate table for the CUSL. In fact it would have been much like the V-Cup is currently run.

In fact the CUSL's "interlocking schedule" is exactly where the idea for the Voyageurs Cup came from.

What are the chances of reviving the whole project, or perhaps having the same old parties kick starting a whole new set of negotiations. This time things will be a little different, especially with 2 new Canadian franchises: Calgary and Edmonton joining the A-League. There is still that slight possibility of Hamilton and Ottawa joining the A-League in 2005.

I hope to see perhaps Gerry Gentille coming back into the scene.

Once Hamilton joins the A-League and Ottawa or another city joins then I think talks about a canadian league should start up. the league would have to have solid backing for the feds, sponsors ect.. It might be hard to get Montreal and Vancouver and other A-League teams to join the first year but after a few years I'm sure they would.

quote:Originally posted by Impact supporter

ted:

I know we have had disagreements and that you did not support the RCSL ''Super League'' concept for Canadian soccer. There were three reasons that I had defended the concept.(Though I felt they should play more than just 6 games)

1)The provincial select teams (such as Les Equipes de Quebec) needed to be full-on teams with a regular schedule, no just a few games here and there. (Even in some of the bigger provinces therecould be more than one select team) One such advantage with that is the players can gel as a team if they played more games.

2)VERY FEW Canadian cities could sustain a pro soccer team. Certainly not in Sherbooke, Cape Breton, Moose Jaw or Nanaimo. As well thes teams get very few spectators, except friends and family of the players.

3) It is also a question of using and improving on existing resources, such as the provincial select teams.

Just some thoughts.

Cape Breton could probably support a pro soccer team ???

Cape Breton had an AHL team called the Cape Breton Oilers.

quote:Cape Breton could probably support a pro soccer team ???

Cape Breton had an AHL team called the Cape Breton Oilers.

Really , I don't want to rain on any-ones' parade ......but.....there was a CSL team called the NOVA SCOTIA CLIPPERS , they lasted "a" season.

There once was an ATLANTIC DIVISION in the AHL , Moncton Alpines, Hawks and others, Saint John Flames , Fredericton Canadiens, C.B. Oilers, P.E.I. Senators, Nova Scotia Voyageurs thru Halifax Citadeles,the only surviving AHL team is the St. John's Leafs.

Halifax once boasted itself as a basketball haven. But the old Global Basketball League , had as much fan support in Saskatoon and Winnipeg , if I remember right.

Always keep in mind in the three Maritime Provinces ( not including Newfoundland)we have a population of 2 million in a land size of Britain, plus we are long ways from our markets.

So it's the the old joke .....no-body lives here ....and we're a thousand miles away from anything.....

If soccer were to succeed it would have to be within the Maritimes:(

Also Halifax may never accept being in a Maritime league as it considers itself too big , in the same-way as Toronto wants to be in American makets( Detroit, New York, Los Angeles), Halifax wants to be in the Montreal, Toronto markets

quote:Originally posted by argh1

If soccer were to succeed it would have to be within the Maritimes:(

Also Halifax may never accept being in a Maritime league as it considers itself too big , in the same-way as Toronto wants to be in American makets( Detroit, New York, Los Angeles), Halifax wants to be in the Montreal, Toronto markets

UCCB has soccer,

and the Nova Scotia Clippers were in Halifax.

Also check this out ???

www.geocities.com/halifaxshockers

It sure would be nice though if there was a Maritime Soccer League.

Halifax might go into a maritime league- ??????

maybe these websites will answer questions ???

www.halifaxmooseheads.net

www.mjahl.com

www.geocities.com/halifaxshockers

www.maritimeprostocktour.com

argh1- I never mentioned it, but, I am from

New Brunswick like you.

I was born in Saint John, New Brunswick.

Archived