Brazil fail to qualify for Athens 2004

Mimglow

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D[}:)]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/01/25/bc.sport.soccer.brazil/index.html

VINA DEL MAR, Chile (Reuters) -- Brazil, who have never won an Olympic gold medal in soccer, failed to qualify for this year's Games in Athens after a shock 1-0 defeat to Paraguay on Sunday.

Brazil, five times world champions, had needed only to draw against their less illustrious neighbours in their last game of the South American qualifying tournament but were instead sunk by a 32nd-minute goal scored from rival captain Jose de Vaca.

Paraguay will thus join Argentina, who qualified with a game to spare, as South America's Olympic representatives.

Paraguay finished the four-team final stage with six points alongside Argentina, who were playing their final game against hosts Chile later Sunday. Brazil have three points and Chile none.

Brazil have always taken Olympic soccer seriously and see the gold medal as the one item missing from their trophy cupboard.

Coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo lost his job with the senior team after failing to take Brazil's Olympic squad beyond the quarter-finals in Sydney four years ago.

This time former Paris St Germain defender Ricardo Gomes took charge solely of the under-23 team and is almost certain to be axed in turn.

Brazil, whose squad includes five members of the Santos team which won the Brazilian championship in 2002, had beaten Paraguay 3-0 in the first stage of the tournament.

They fielded four attackers in the second half but were unable to break down a typically stubborn Paraguay defence and also found goalkeeper Diego Barreto in inspired form.

The closest Brazil came was when Dudu Cearense sent a shot agonisingly wide with five minutes to play.

Brazil's Hopes of Grand Slam Come Crashing Down!

No Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto (Carlos) or Romario (or any other R's) set for Athens...they should have had Kaka in Chile first ( I think he is U-23 age, isn't he?). Some Brazilian posters on other sites reported that it was a fait d'accompli that Ronaldo would be appearing in Athens! At least the Brazialian football fan's arrogance has a charming feel to it, unlike the Argentinians, Yanks and Mexican's.

Guess you can never underestimate those pesky Paraguayans, the Davids of so many Goliaths (like Uruguay used to be, and may be again, their senior team is doing some great attacking)...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foo...all/3429289.stm

Just hope they don't send that ugly goalkeeper as one of their overagers!

So, Argentina and Paraguay go onto the Olympics. Wonder if the US or Mexico can be upset at the qualifying tournament starting next week in Guadalajara? Seems unlikely at this point. The US squad looks serious and strong with all those MLS'ers. Mexico is playing at home, but at least we don't have to beat them at mega-altitude!

I hope there is no whining about the "lack" of spaces for South America. They still have a priviledged position in all world tournaments. The Olympics is not like the World Cup, it's about equal participation by all parts of the world by new blood, not the apex of quality and competition.

Personally, I'm glad Brazil did not qualify simply so their players won't have to leave the Brazilian leagues to play in some tournament that would be under a huge shadow! Unfortunately, Argentina DID qualify.

When is the olympics, does anybody know?? I'm guessing it might be in the middle of European soccer season due to the hot climate of Athens. If that's the case I hope Croatia, Belarus and Swisse qualify from Europe.

By the way, Franklin SALAS (LDU de Quito/Ecuador) really caught my eye in this qualifying tournament. The guy is so talented.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

When is the olympics, does anybody know?? I'm guessing it might be in the middle of European soccer season due to the hot climate of Athens. If that's the case I hope Croatia, Belarus and Swisse qualify from Europe.

The olympics open on August 13. Assuming they open at all! Apparently Athens is one huge construction zone right now. Sounds like it'll be a miracle if they games go well.

Then again, the soccer side of things should be all right--it's not like there are no alternate venues in Greece.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

I have already been getting my digs in with my Brazilian friends. Unfortunately, being of Dutch heritage and being Canadian, I really don't feel comfortable being too coy about it..

Clearly a case of overconfidence and fate...

This was a very good side including the young superstars, Robinho and Diego. From what I can tell from talking with my friends, there won't be any suicides in Sao Paulo over this; but, the coach will likely lose his job.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

This was a very good side including the young superstars, Robinho and Diego. From what I can tell from talking with my friends, there won't be any suicides in Sao Paulo over this; but, the coach will likely lose his job.

And don't forget Dudu (great name, I want to see him playing beside Kaka some day), who nearly scored to tie it up in the end....(oops)[:I]

Archived