Miklos Feher of Benfica Passes Away during match

Mimglow

GUIMARAES, Portugal (AP) - Hungarian international Miklos Feher collapsed on the field and was rushed to a hospital Sunday during Benfica's Portuguese league match at Guimaraes.

The 24-year-old striker, who came on as a substitute 15 minutes into the second half, was given CPR on the field before being taken to Guimaraes hospital in an ambulance. He appeared unconscious when emergency medical personnel reached him on the field. He was reported to have had a heart attack, according to Radiotelevisao Portuguesa, quoting an unidentified doctor at the hospital.

Feher was not involved in the action on the field when he collapsed in injury time. The match was played in heavy rain on a muddy field. Benfica was winning 1-0.

The Hungarian striker first came to Portugal in 1998 when he signed with FC Porto. He moved to Benfica in 2002.

Last year, Cameroon star Marc-Vivien Foe collapsed at the Confederations Cup and later died. He was found to have had a heart attack caused by an enlarged left ventricle.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/shownews.jsp?content=R012513AU

Guest Jeffery S.

I would like to send a letter of condolence to Benfica and another to the Hungarian Football Fed on behalf of the Voyageurs. That means adding the V-logo, hope that is alright.

Our connection to Benfica is through Aguiar right now, turns out both were 2nd half subs and that Feher had a hand in Aguiar's goal m. 90 which was the game winner, totally overshadowed by what came soon after. I have seen images on tv of Fernando totally broken up (if you see images he is number 16). As I don't think anyone will oppose I will just post the respective texts here when it is done. They'll go out by e-mail and by regular post, as I think they should receive something on paper.

Maybe this thread could go onto Canadian Players as it does have a relation to a teammate of a Canadian international.

Guest Jeffery S.

The following e-mail, to be followed by a letter, headed by the Voyageur logo above, has been sent to Sport Lisboa e Benfica. You can send a personal message via the Benfica website, a link is on the front page at http://www.slbenfica.pt:

January 26, 2004

Dear Friends at Sport Lisboa e Benfica,

The Voyageurs, supporters of Canada’s national football teams and Canadian footballers worldwide, wish to express our most sincere condolences on the tragic death of Miklos Fehér.

The loss of Miklos Fehér has stunned the world community of football, united around this beautiful game that Miklos Fehér so passionately played until his final moment. As Canada fans we would like to pass on our thoughts and prayers to the family of Miklos Fehér, his friends and fellow teammates at Benfica, as well as to the entire Benfica family, together with all of Portuguese football.

Our warmest regards,

Voyageurs Supporters Club

www.canadian-soccer.com

(sent on behalf of the Voyageurs by Jeffrey Swartz, Voyageurs member, Barcelona)

Guest Jeffery S.

The following e-mail, followed by a written letter, headed by the Voyageur logo above, has been sent to the Hungarian Football Federation. The only e-mail I could find with my zero Hungarian was that of the press officer. The Hungarian website can be found at http://www.mlsz.hu/home.asp:

January 26, 2004

Dear Friends in Hungarian football,

The Voyageurs, supporters of Canada’s national football teams and Canadian footballers worldwide, wish to express our most sincere condolences on the tragic death of Miklos Fehér.

The loss of Miklos Fehér has stunned the world community of football, united around this beautiful game that Miklos Fehér so passionately played until his final moment. As Canada fans we would like to pass on our thoughts and prayers to the family of Miklos Fehér, his friends and fellow teammates for Hungary and at his former Hungarian clubs, together with all of Hungarian football.

Our warmest regards,

Voyageurs Supporters Club

www.canadian-soccer.com

(sent on behalf of the Voyageurs by Jeffrey Swartz, Voyageur member, Barcelona)

From RTL.be

Le footballeur Miklos Feher foudroyé sur le terrain

L'attaquant hongrois du Benfica Lisbonne Miklos Feher (ex Gyor Eto) a été foudroyé hier soir par un arrêt cardiaque en plein match. Le joueur âgé de 24 ans est tombé inanimé sur la pelouse vers la fin du match opposant le Benfica au Vitoria Guimaraes lors de la 19ème journée du Championnat du Portugal de football disputé devant 13.015 spectateurs à l'Estadio D. Alfonso Henriques, et avait été transporté à l'hôpital vers 22h45. Feher s'est effondré sur le terrain à la 92ème minute, peu après avoir écopé d'un carton jaune, et permis à Fernando Aguiar de marquer le but qui a donné la victoire au Benfica Lisbonne, troisième au classement du Championnat, face au Vitoria Guimaraes (1-0). Il était monté au jeu à la place de Joao Pereira à la reprise.

Les médecins ont d'abord tenté de le réanimer sur le terrain, au milieu de joueurs en larmes, se prenant la tête entre les mains. Au bout d'un quart d'heure, le joueur a été évacué en ambulance vers l'hôpital voisin. Les tentatives de réanimation par les équipes de cardiologues de l'hôpital se sont déroulées jusqu'à près de 0h10 "sans succès, le joueur étant décédé", a indiqué un médecin de l'hôpital.

Le corps du joueur devait rester à la morgue de l'hôpital pour être soumis à une autopsie et à des examens afin de déterminer les causes de la mort. Selon son médecin hongrois, Miklos Feher n'a jamais eu de problèmes cardiaques. "Je connaissais Miklos Feher depuis plus de quatre ans, d'abord au sein de l'équipe espoir, puis chez les adultes, mais il n'a jamais eu de problèmes cardiaques", a annoncé Dezso Lejko, l'ancien médecin de l'équipe nationale de football hongroise. "De plus, il ne prenait pas de médicaments contre des troubles cardio-vasculaires", a-t-il ajouté.

Miklos Feher, international hongrois à 18 reprises, était arrivé au Benfica Lisbonne en 2002. Il évoluait depuis 1998 dans des clubs portugais (FC Porto, Salgueiros, Sp Braga, FC Porto, Benfica). Il avait marqué le seul but du match retour (1-1 à l'aller) du 1-er tour de la Coupe de l'UEFA contre La Louvière, le 15 octobre 2003 à Porto (Boavista), grâce à une volée à la 58-ème minute.

Le 26 juin dernier lors de la demi-finale de la Coupe des Confédérations Cameroun-Colombie à Lyon, l'international camerounais Marc-Vivien Foé était décédé d'un arrêt cardiaque.

UEFA chief exec. links player's death with busy fixture schedule...

I pretty much agree with everything he says/suggests relating to how to reduce the quantity of matches (ie. you can't reduce leagues to 16 teams. It's simply not an option. Instead you gotta get rid of Confed. Cup, World Club Cup, things like that)

http://www.dailysoccer.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2220

UEFA´s new chief executive is

concerned that professional soccer players may be risking their

health by playing too many matches.

In the week following the on-field death of Benfica´s

Hungarian international Miklos Feher, Lars-Christer Olsson said

he had a gut feeling such fatalities were not one-offs.

´I do not have water-tight statistics but my feeling is that

these incidents have become more frequent recently,´ Olsson, who

became chief executive of European soccer´s ruling body this

month, told Thursday´s Die Welt paper.

´That is a reason for me to ask questions. Are players

playing too many matches and is their health damaged as a

result? We have to assess whether the burden is too heavy,´ said

the Swede, adding that UEFA had launched an investigation.

He added that FIFA´s idea that every country could cut its

top league to 16 clubs was not viable.

´It´s a matter for the national associations and you cannot

lump them all together. In Scandinavia, 16 clubs per league is

too many given the climate but in Germany 18 works wonderfully,´

he said.

The 53-year-old Olsson added that he did not believe a

German idea to increase halftime to 20 minutes from 15 would

make much difference to club revenues as the German FA has

suggested.

He also said he was unwilling to work with the G14 group of

top European clubs.

´It is a lobby group that wants to push football in the

direction of entertainment. I see a great danger that we will

get North American-style closed leagues at the top with no

promotion or relegation,´ Olsson said

I agree with what he says, but not with what you say. Okay, maybe we can scrap the Confed Cup. But there's nothing wrong in capping leagues at 18 teams. Plus, the World Club Cup is going to be a firm reality for generations to come. AND it will be exciting.

Do you not agree that once you find a nice slot where all club teams from around the workd can participate, that we would have an incredible event? Don't you want to know who the best club in the world is, instead of relying on FoxSportsworld top 20 list? This isn't college football, I'd like to see it in action instead of a freaking poll.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I don't think getting rid of the Confederation Cup, or the World Club Cup, would solve the fixture congestion problems. Both of these competitions would only feature a few elite teams/countries, and they don't happen that often. The death of Miklos Feher should be a warning that the solution to this problem runs deeper than removing those 2 competions. The best and easiest way to reduce fixtures is to limit the number of league games and cup games. Anyone with half a brain can realize this. Not every player plays on a national team. And not every national team qualifies for continental championships, the Cofed Cup and the World Cup.

Right. But the elite teams are the only ones with fixture congestion.

Except for Britain, does anyone else in the world care about domestic cups? I follow the Italian League, and, based on attendances, and player selection, nobody seems to care about this competition. Getting rid of national cups could be a start to reducing fixture congestion.

NOt a good (or even viable) idea! To answer your question: almost everyone cares about domestic cups. And people cared about them upto 80 years before they even considered caring about the World Cup. Italy is the exception, not Britain!

Also, what about the UEFA Cup. What the hell is the purpose of this trophy? The Champions League determines the best club team in Europe, but the UEFA Cup makes no sense to me. If Uefa was really serious about ending fixture congestion, they would get rid of this Cup (as well as the Intertoto Cup).

I agree there. It should be replaced by the Cup Winners' Cup. Which of course would only feature about 30 teams, not 96 like the UEFA Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

I agree with what he says, but not with what you say. Okay, maybe we can scrap the Confed Cup. But there's nothing wrong in capping leagues at 18 teams.

So that would mean you do not agree with what he says (limiting the # of teams in a league is not viable). 20 teams in Spain is fine. 16 in Norway is too many... Why shouldn't the individual countries be able to choose? Sure FIFA wants to make the game more Asian ... eerrr I mean, GLOBAL. But domestic championships is still the "main event" and makes the sport what it is!

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Do you not agree that once you find a nice slot where all club teams from around the workd can participate, that we would have an incredible event? Don't you want to know who the best club in the world is, instead of relying on FoxSportsworld top 20 list? This isn't college football, I'd like to see it in action instead of a freaking poll.

So you think Boca Juniors in the best team in the World?

Everyone already knows what the best club in the World is - AC Milan (the Champions League winners). And if their B-team loses a July pre-season match to the Nanjing Red Dragons in the WCC, nobody's opinion will change.

Hey the WCC might be exciting, but at what price to players' health??

Archived