Northern Ireland to compete in Algarve Cup?

Desigol

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I would think Northern Ireland will play in the C level at the Algarve Cup.

here are the countries involved...

Algarve Cup 2004 participating teams and dates

Denmark is the organizer this year.

Match dates are March 14, 16, and 20th.

Group A

Denmark

USA

Sweden

France

Group B

Norway

Canada

Finland

China

Group C

Portugal

Greece

Wales

Northern Ireland (first time for them)

after group play there's cross over b/t A1 vs. B1 to determine winner, A2 vs. B2 for thrird ... then A3/B3/A4/B4 play how group C finishes up for the other placings ...

so teams from group c cannot finish higher than 5th place, hypothetically speaking

something to that sort ... i think i could be mixing up how teams play their placements matches ... but something to that sort.

elaine

quote:Originally posted by Elaine

Denmark is the organizer this year.

What does that mean? The tournament is still in Portugal but the "organizer" changes every year? What does the organizer do when they are not the hosts?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

What does that mean? The tournament is still in Portugal but the "organizer" changes every year? What does the organizer do when they are not the hosts?

i'm not exactly sure of the procedure, but the organizer changes every year and it's usually a european country that organizes. (usually from scandinavia) i remember norway was organizer a few years back .. and i'm not really sure what their roles are. sorry

elaine

btw, there's a Girl from Bellaghy in County Derry that's mentioned in my local Paper called Sarah McFadden (No relation to Scottish International James or Westlife's Bryan). She played for Northern Ireland's Under 19 side, and scored a couple of goals.

Archived