OT; Puffed Wheat & Powdered Milk.

Cheeta

[xx(]

In the usual round about ways the lads at the shop were having a glance backwards in time during lunch and somehow the subject of breakfast came up. The Little One was complaining about supper the other night and it struck me, and I said as much, that she's never had anything to complain about until it's been Puffed Wheat & Powdered Milk sitting in front of her at the table (which thankfully by the Grace of God, hasn't happened). So as we were sort of on the subject I tells the lads as I thought it was pretty funny. Thing is, more than a couple knew exactly what I was talking about.

That sad look in their eyes. Brother, we know your pain.

Not even real Puffed Wheat. A duffel bag of some no-name crap which weighed all of an ounce and turned instantly to mush when wet. Yeeeesh. I'll bet it isn't even real wheat.

Anyway. Taking a survey. If anyone can top that for wretched eats I want to hear/be warned about it. Cold, rubbery, shark fin I've already got along with straight from-the-can Puriton beef stew (unheated) and Klic gelatin.

Nah. Just got back from #1 nephew's hockey game and this has been in my head since last night. The Wee Elf and me were laughing about it 'cause the Little One had no idea what I was talking about. That, and I'm starting to sound like an old man.

But I'm serious. Guy could make a fortune selling these ideas to Fear Factor (aka What won't they Eat?).

Foreman at work had a pretty good one, too. It involved the process of making blood sausage as a kid back on the farm. Not nice. But it could be a great episode. 1st they got to make the blood sausage. Then they have to eat it.

hahaha......what qualifies, mom's sometimes not so home cookin', or the 1st few months or years on our own. I can idenity with the beer commericial "I've eaten condiments as a meal"(HEY..I GOT MY OWN PLACE!!)

Hey you forgot the Crino was yellow and the plastic put to-gether thing (toy they called it) in the middle of the giant bag of puffed stuff[:o)]

Having spent some time in the reserves, I'm on it.

1. Ranger coffee. Take 1 packet instant coffee from rations pack. Rip open. Open canteen. Coffee in left hand, canteen in right. Pour coffee in mouth. Take almighty swig from canteen. Swallow. Rinse. Watch hands trembling.

2. American ration packs, apparently left over from Desert Storm, passed on to the Canadian reserves in '92. 12 varieties of delicious, nutritious meals, featuring Orange Goo With Rice, Yellow Goo With Rice, and Diseased Lung. These were cheerfully, and erroneously, labelled Sweet and Sour Pork, Chicken a la King, and Ham Omelette respectively. Lived on them for two months, if you can call that "living". Incidentally we started bringing cheap canned goods back from leave--including Puritan stews, eaten from the can. They were better than the rations.

3. "Chow mein" served at McMaster University cafeteria. Staff of life for my graduate year. It cost $3 and was about two cups of noodles with approx 3 small pieces of vegetable and an undefinable sauce. Mmmmm. Salty. Eat once daily to aid in grad student Deep Thought.

4. Peanut butter in bulk (10kg pail). My mother used to buy this for us. After about a week the oil would separate from the solids, and there would be about an inch of oil sitting on top whenever we went to get some. Impossible to re-homogenize the mixture without industrial machinery. And the PB tasted like crap. Incidentally my mother dislikes PB--go figure.

I've also experienced the horror of powdered milk and Puffed Grain By-product. I'm only 30 but apparently my mother had connections to some kind of malnutritional black market. I attribute it to her troubled upbringing. She's English, maybe that's it.

M@

Okay, my theory is that Cheeta and Winnipeg Fury are one and the same, a kind of Voyageurs' Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Winnipeg Fury is the button-down serious article-toting keeping-to-the-old forum Dr Jekyll to Cheetah's deleriously deranged .....well, you know.

Has anybody ever seen them together in the same room?

Sadly beachesl, I have to burst your bubble and say I've been in the same pub with Winnipeg Fury and Cheeta.

I submit 'punk tea' - you take nick a couple of Jolly Ranchers out of the bulk bin at the Safeway, head to wherever you plan to loiter for lunch, ask for boiling water with your order. Throw the a jolly rancher into the boiling water add lots of sugar and lots of cream and you have a warm, creamy flavourful beverage that is free to warm your bones on a cold prairie afternoon. The guy that invented has also been known to eat gravy as a meal. Come to think of it, he was originally from Winnipeg too.

The point of this? I'm ready to go to Germany on the cheap and people from Winnipeg are prepared for hard times.

cheers,

matthew

Yes, I too have seen Cheeta and Winnipeg Fury in the same pub as well. I remember Cheeta's relief when Matthew showed up. Up until then he had been muttering about being the only celtic fan at Ibrox...he started muttering it after he found out what the rest of us did for a living [:0].

I too had a concoction I despised. Creamed Brussle Sprouts made with tinned milk. See, growing up in Winnipeg we were so po' (cue how po' were you'). We were so po' that after dear old dad took off, dinner often consisted of one can of creamed corn between the four of us. But some of Dad's buddies felt bad about what had occured, and one or two of them just happened to be salesmen. One of them flogged tinned milk and would occasionally drop off a carton. I know I should be grateful, but Damn! creamed brussle sprouts!

Yes, I too have seen Cheeta and Winnipeg Fury in the same pub as well. I remember Cheeta's relief when Matthew showed up. Up until then he had been muttering about being the only celtic fan at Ibrox...he started muttering it after he found out what the rest of us did for a living [:0].

I too had a concoction I despised. Creamed Brussle Sprouts made with tinned milk. See, growing up in Winnipeg we were so po' (cue how po' were you'). We were so po' that after dear old dad took off, dinner often consisted of one can of creamed corn between the four of us. But some of Dad's buddies felt bad about what had occured, and one or two of them just happened to be salesmen. One of them flogged tinned milk and would occasionally drop off a carton. I know I should be grateful, but Damn! creamed brussle sprouts!

Honest to God I am laughing so hard I think I'm going to be sick.

Full marks all around. Too funny. Way too funny.

P.S. Yeah!!!! Punk Tea!!! One of the many, (and I must add tamer) uses of Jolly Ranchers candy.

P.S.S. Heyyyy. That's a pretty clever one there, Gordon. Had to get the gears going there a second. But only a second mind you...

Honest to God I am laughing so hard I think I'm going to be sick.

Full marks all around. Too funny. Way too funny.

P.S. Yeah!!!! Punk Tea!!! One of the many, (and I must add tamer) uses of Jolly Ranchers candy.

P.S.S. Heyyyy. That's a pretty clever one there, Gordon. Had to get the gears going there a second. But only a second mind you...

Archived