Barbados vs Canada official match thread

hamiltonfan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pregame article from Barbados news source:

Canadian's 'golden goal' - Sunday 18, January-2004

by Barry Alleyne

CANADIANS are known for ice hockey, not soccer.

However, the country’s 39-year-old soccer coach, Frank Yallop, wants to lift the game in the eyes of his countrymen.

Yallop, the second youngest man to lead Canada’s football team into a World Cup qualification campaign, hopes to get off on the right foot tonight, when his troops play Barbados in a friendly international at the National Stadium.

Taking up a job not many Canadians want has provided Yallop with extra motivation to please a country that cares little about soccer, and only about ice hockey or other winter sports.

For the new coach, its all about a change in attitude, and he wants to see the first signs from 8 p.m. today when his players suit up against the Bajan Rockets.

“The enthusiasm is there for sure. Like all Canadians, these guys are very proud, and want to do well. My real job is to create the right mindset, the right attitude which can be transfered to the field of play, and yield the right results,” Yallop told SUNSPORT after taking the team through a late-morning workout at the National Stadium yesterday.

According to the coach, who only took over the national programme just before Christmas, many Canadian players are very good, but don’t think they can line up with their more celebrated European or South American counterparts. “The truth is, we have some really good players, and I’m going to do my best to make them believe in themselves some more.”

Tonight’s match should be a perfect stepping stone, since no professional players who play in Europe have made the trip, leaving Yallop with five Olympic (Under-23) players, and a number of experienced players trying to cement their place. Among them are Mark Watson, a striker with 62 caps to his name.

Manager, Morgan Quarry, summed it up best.

“The game is really important even though its the first game of the year, because we have some young players trying to show they belong at this level, and some mature players trying to show they still have what it takes.”

Yallop isn’t sticking his head in the stars just yet either.

“The aim is to make the World Cup, but you can’t just expect miracles to happen in a short time. You have to work really hard to get there, and that’s what we plan to do.”

He expects Canadians to eventually warm to this national team. “It’s going to be a hardsell, but I’m up to it. Fans of any sport won’t come out to see a team that keeps losing all the time. I’m sure once we bring the right attitude and the results start coming, soccer will make it big in Canada.”

Manager Quarry said the team played quite a few international matches the past two years against top European teams like Ireland, Germany and the Czech Republic, but their focus is now the other side of the planet, with matches expected against CONCACAF teams as they prepare for their first World Cup qualifier against Belize in June.

From Canoe

Canada beats Barbados 1-0 in debut of soccer coach Frank Yallop

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CP) - Veteran striker Carlo Corazzin scored early in the first half to give Canada a 1-0 exhibition soccer win over Barbados on Sunday night in Frank Yallop's first game as head coach.

With most of his European-based players still with their clubs, Yallop's starting 11 consisted almost entirely of North American-based players.

Barbados is ranked No. 111th in the world to No. 87 for Canada.

Goal was the result of a Pizzolitto ball out of the back to DeRo who beat his man and slotted it across the face of goal for a Carlo tap in.

We started: Sutton - Pizzolitto, Watson ©, Gervais, Pozniak. -

Bernier, Dasovic, Sulentic, Nash - Corazzin and De Rosario. No indication on subs, sorry Codegoat.

Yalop was pleased. Hoping for more goals, but said field was bumpy and that didn't help.

cheers,

matthew

PS I just realized no Kappos. WTF?! I trust we made a lot of subs, but Davidson said that Sulentic, Sutton and Gervais were the only first caps.

Canada Defeats Barbados 1-0

Canada’s Men’s World Cup Team earned a 1-0 win against Barbados Sunday in Bridgetown, Barbados.

Carlo Corazzin scored the game’s only goal in the 10th minute to give the new head coach Frank Yallop a win in his first game in charge. Corrazin scored from within the 6th yard box thanks to a great pass from Dwayne de Rosario who was a handful for the Barbadian defence all game.

Several players made their debut with the World Cup Team including: goalkeeper Greg Sutton, defenders Gabriel Gervais and Adam Braz, midfielders Josh Simpson, Johnny Sulentic, Stathis Kapos, and David Frondimadis.

Yallop played four Olympic team players as a result of injuries.

“It’s good to start off with a win,” said Yallop. ”We had to make some adjustments and several players earned their first caps tonight. It was a great opportunity to see what some of these players can do.”

The Canadian team returns to Florida on Monday to continue their camp until Friday.

January 18, 2004 – International Friendly

Bridgetown, Barbados

Canada 1 (1)

Barbados 0 (0)

Goals: Canada – Carlo Corrazin (10)

Greg Sutton; Nevio Pizzolitto (Adam Braz, 42); Chris Pozniak; Gabriel Gervais; Mark Watson – C; Nick Dasovic; Patrice Bernier (David Frondimadis, 90+); Johnny Sulentic (Stathis Kapos, 75); Corrazin (Rob Friend, 62); Martin Nash (Josh Simpson, 55); Dwayne de Rosario; Head Coach: Frank Yallop

Report from Sportsnet

Yallop successful in soccer coaching debut

Canada defeated 111th ranked Barbados in a friendly match.

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CP) -- Veteran striker Carlo Corazzin scored in the 10th minute to give Canada a 1-0 exhibition soccer win over Barbados on Sunday night in Frank Yallop's first game as head coach.

"I thought we handled ourselves very well," said Yallop, who took over the national team on Jan. 1 in the wake of Holger Osieck's departure. "We played with some spirit and endeavour.

"We played with some creativity but . . . I would have liked us to score more goals. But having said that, we created some great chances, couldn't quite pull the trigger at the right time because of the (bumpy) field.

"We did well, we worked hard and I think we definitely deserved the win," he added.

The victory snapped a four-game losing streak for the Canadian men.

With most of his European-based players still with their clubs, Yallop's starting 11 consisted almost entirely of North American-based players. Defender Mark Watson, in his 70th appearance for Canada, captained the side.

Eight of Canada's starting 11 play in the A-League, including four from the Montreal Impact and three from the Vancouver Whitecaps. Another plays in the MLS and the remaining two in Europe. Three of the starters won their first cap for Canada at this level.

Barbados is ranked No. 111 in the world to No. 87 for Canada.

"A win's a win and I'm really happy with the performance, to be honest," said Yallop.

The goal started with a pass from the back from defender Nevio Pizzolitto. Striker Dwayne De Rosario beat a defender and slid the ball across the penalty box for Corazzin to slot it home.

It was the 11th goal in 58 internationals for the Vancouver Whitecaps striker.

"A real nice move," said Yallop. "Good sharp play by the two forwards playing close together and a good finish."

Goalkeeper Greg Sutton won his first cap for Canada in goal, behind a backline of Pizzolitto, Watson, Gabe Gervais and Chris Pozniak.

Sutton was goalie of the year in the A-League last season while Gervais took top defender honours.

The midfield was Patrice Bernier, Nick Dasovic, Johnny Sulentic and Martin Nash with Corazzin and De Rosario up front.

In addition to Sutton, Sulentic and Gervais made their international debut at the senior level.

Other first cap winners were substitutes Adam Braz, Josh Simpson, Stathis Kapos and David Fronimadis.

Pizzolitto left the game early with a groin pull. Striker Rob Friend also came on as a substitute.

Well, that's it then. Canada will qualify for the 2006 World Cup. You read it here first.

I mean, could there be a better omen to the Yallop era than a shut-out victory on the road with Corazzin scoring his first goal since the 2000 Gold Cup (4 years ago now)?

Surprised that Kapos played just 15 minutes, and not in defense. Though he might still have been a bit jet-lagged, I suppose.

Most encouraging to me, and to a few others as it seems from the comments, is that all but our backup keeper saw time on the field in this game. This is an improvement over Holger, where we might see only 1 or 2 subs in a friendly, and those subs he did make were in the 87th or 90th minute. I wasn't one of the Holger-bashers, but this was one area where he was frustrating for me.

And a win is a win. With so many players getting their first exposure to the national side, 1-0 isn't a bad result. From the reports so far, it seems like the 1-0 victory was well-earned, if not a little closer than the game would indicate.

Another thing is that it seems De Rosario is quite the playmaker from the forward role. It sounds like he made a nice play to set up the goal. Recall also his great pass to Donovan in the MLS Cup final for the 4th goal.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I ICQ'd a guy to get the result of the Lybia game. Now there is a Crown Victoria with Diplomatic plates parked outside of my house 24 hours a day and I get my garbage picked up every day :(

Odd, don't they pick-up the recycle bin too?

Well, they are just game reports but I will of course draw sweeping conclusions nonetheless :D.

First off, Corrazin scored, while Watson and Dasovic played 90. I think that this is some vindication for the selection of all three. I have faith in Yallop's ambition that a player who can not pull his wieght will not be on the field. I am sure that the vets were a steadying influence on a young team that fielded a lot of players. As I said previously, while I want to see Yallop having a look at as many players as possible, I also want to see Canada winning games while doing so...and that is going to mean the rpesence of some vets.

Also, I suspect that Bernier and Dasovic were in the middle of the field and Sulentic on one of the wings. So Kapos was probably not playing at Number 10 when he subbed in.

DD caused the opposition fits all night. This is very encouraging. Speed kills. DD is going to be very effective in qualifying if he can stay healthy.

Pizzolitto came out at 42 minutes. I wonder if he got a knock. Thrilled to see the clean sheet. Obvioulsy Pozniak and Watson are very experienced and both played the full 90 as did, I think Gervais. It will be interesting to see if Sutton was called upon to make any difficult stops.

A decent victory away with a B team. Yallop saying he is happy with the way the boys played. It ain't 4-0, but I'll take it.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Odd, don't they pick-up the recycle bin too?

Limited recycling in Saskatoon, and it is a drop off rather than pick up system. One of the problems of having reams of space and a limited population is that NIMBY for garbage dumps is not really a problem. Hence, really limited compulsion for decent recycling programs. Also, no mixed paper recycling so the stuff THEY are interested in would go to the dump (except I burn it, buuuhahahahah).

Sounds like the team played well, especially at the back. I am very pleased to see so many Impact players involved in this game, especially Sutton who should have bee given a chance a long time ago. While a lot of these players will never see action in the important games like the World Cup Qualifiers, it is great to know that some of them can be called in for friendlies and/or the Gold Cup if need be. A little more depth is very welcome.

Any one know if there are pictures from the game somewhere?

Can't find a Barbados report of the match but here's Concacaf's - no word yet on whether Ryan Lucas got off the bench.

USA ties Denmark, while Canada tops Barbados in friendlies

19.1.04 - The USA tied visiting Denmark 1:1 in an international friendly in Carson, California on Sunday (18 January), while Canada topped the host Barbados 1:0 in Waterford, St. Michael.

The crowd of 10,461 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, saw the stars & stripes trail since the 28th minute, when Thomas Roll-Larsen scored for Denmark off a penalty kick.

After several near chances, the USA finally got the equalizer in the 76th minute of the second half, with a penalty kick tally by Landon Donovan for the 1:1 draw.

Denmark continues its USA tour on 24 January, when they meet CD Aguila of El Salvador at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, while the stars & stripes travels to Holland for an international friendly against the host next month (18 February) at the Amsterdam ArenA in Amsterdam.

In Barbados, newly appointed Frank Yallop earned his first international victory at helm with Canada as they defeated the host 1:0 at the Waterford’s National Stadium on Sunday.

Carlo Carozzin scored the game-winner in the opening nine minutes of the match for the maple leafs, who snapped a four-game losing skid. The victory also ended the bajans’ three-game winning streak.

Canada returns to Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA to continue their training, while Barbados heads to St. George’s, Grenada for an international friendly against the host at the National Stadium on 31 January.

18.01.2004: Waterford, St. Michael BARBADOS; National Stadium

BARBADOS – CANADA 0:1 (0:1)

Carlo CAROZZIN 9’

BRB: Bernard Howell – Wayne Sobers, John Parris, Johnathan Straker, Randy Burrowes, Brian Neblett, Kirk Cox, Kent Hall, Norman Forde, Gregory Goodridge, Llewellyn Riley.

Subs: Jason Boxill – Stuart Hall, Walton Burrowes, Rommel Brathwaite, Christopher Holmes, Paul Lovell, Ryan Lucas.

TD: Kenville LAYNE

CAN: Greg Sutton – Nevio Pizzolitto (42: Adam Braz); Chris Pozniak, Gabriel Gervais, Mark Watson, Nick Dasovic, Patrice Bernier (90: David Frondimadis), Johnny Sulentic (75: Stathis Kapos); Carlo Corrazin (62: Rob Friend), Martin Nash (55: Josh Simpson), Dwayne de Rosario.

TD: Frank YALLOP

R: Mark FORDE (BRB)

18.01.2004: Carson, California USA; Home Depot Center (A: 10461)

USA – DENMARK 1:1 (0:1)

Landon DONOVAN 76’ pen – Thomas ROLL-LARSEN 28’ pen

USA: Jonny Walker – Chris Albright (79: Frankie Hejduk), Eddie Pope, Nick Garcia, Bobby Convey, Steve Ralston (62: Chris Klein, 62), Richard Mulrooney (71: Kerry Zavagnin), Chris Armas (88: John Wolyniec), DaMarcus Beasley, Ante Razov (62: Josh Wolff), Landon Donovan. Booked: Pope 26’

TD: Bruce ARENA

DEN: Peter Skov-Jensen – Ulrik Vinzents, Per Nielsen, Martin Albrechtsen (58: Bo Svensson), Asbjorn Sennels, Martin Retov (45: Nicolai Stokholm), Morten Wieghorst (74: David Rasmussen), Morten Bisgaard (79: Jan Kristiansen), Michael Silberbauer (64: Steffen Hojer), Thomas Roll-Larsen, Tommy Bechmann (58: Soren Borg). Booked: Albrechtsen 7’, Bechmann 32’, Stokhom 46’, Vinzents 74’, Nielsen 75’, Sent off: Stokhom 84’

TD: Morten OLSEN

R: Antonio RODRIGUEZ MENDOZA (MEX)

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

The bumpy field down their seems to be a common complaint. The Americans weren't happy with it when they were down their for a WCQ match.

I also seem to recall hard and bumpy pitches being a problem for past games played in Kingston Jamaica as well. In addition, As I remember similar conditions for the pitch in T&T when canada played its WCQ there. It would appear to be a problem throughout that region

Archived