Blatter Plans Skimpy Hotpants to Boost Woman's Soc

beachesl

I look to tennis.

The women's game is more popular and generates more revenue then the guys.

You can't tell me its because Anna can hit a wonderful passing shot.

I think if Women's football wants to create men's like revenue, they might have to look to playing up other aspects then the game itself. Really, this kind of thinking isn't much different then the American bid to increase the goal size a few years back. Comes down to attracting fans that haven't been too inrested in the past.

quote:Originally posted by Pony

I look to tennis.

The women's game is more popular and generates more revenue then the guys.

You can't tell me its because Anna can hit a wonderful passing shot.

I think if Women's football wants to create men's like revenue, they might have to look to playing up other aspects then the game itself. Really, this kind of thinking isn't much different then the American bid to increase the goal size a few years back. Comes down to attracting fans that haven't been too inrested in the past.

Pony, the esthetic value of Anna (and others...Ms. Hingis anyone?)is not the main reason it attracts more viewers. The graphite racquet has ruined the men's game: whoever has the 170 kp/h serve usually wins.

When one wants to see real tennis, with extended rallies and skill shots, they must turn to the women's game (minus the Williams sisters, who are men in skirts).

I agree that some people do turn in just because of how the women look, but it's not the main reason for it's dominance over men.

Soccer finally made the front Page of the Star Phoenix. Blatter's comments finally made soccer newsworthy in this neck of the woods. Jesus, I finally break down and get a partial subscription and first day of delivery I get crap like that on the front page.

This is obviously an absurd idea, but as someone who has to watch (and take pictures of) high school volleyball players in skin-tight shorts, I can say frankly it makes me uncomfortable. I certainly wouldn't want my 13-year-old daughter wearing skin tight short-shorts because it was the FIFA standard.

Blatter is such a clown. When is the next FIFA election?

cheers,

matthew

P.S. Gordon, enjoy Cory Wolfe's 20 questions.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

When is the next FIFA election?

What difference does it make. The consensus was that he was a clown before the last election (which I think was just before the last World Cup?), but of course he was still re-elected. And remember, Canada voted for him.

Mind you, while this whole thing about what the women wear is silly, I do side with Blatter on other things over which he has also received criticism (eg. reducing the number of domestic club games, resurrecting the Club World Championship), so in my eyes he isn't as much of a clown as most people seem to feel.

Just listen to yourselves! Gawd, I might actualy attend a womens match.:)

And fashions change now don't they. Somehow I recall a whole twenty or thirty years of shorts being somewhat shorter and tighter than what they were in the past or are now. And that would be in the mens game by the way.

Weder Bremmen's tops are nice and tight and show the lads oh-so-fit forms because why? Gotta look good, man. The only time crap kits sell is when the crap kits are so ugly they're beautiful if you get my drift. Except those Juve pink kits. Burn them, bury them, sink them to the bottom of the sea. But just get rid of the things. Yikes.

You are not going to see any guys buying womens kits and wearing them except by accident, poor buggers. The female fashion athelete, just like the male fashion athelete, is going to buy the kit they think is cool, or looks good on them. The male kit (currently used) isn't necessarily appealing to the average female eye for casual sport wear. The female eye you're trying to sell your product to.

The whole women, athletics, and sex (or sex appeal) issue. Well that's another thing. But just keep in mind there is a big difference between ameature and professional athletics. I'd go so far as to say there is no such thing as professional athletic leagues anymore, just sport industries and the operators of these industries will do as they see fit to keep their share holders content and profitable.

Just throwing a few darts out there. Something to have a think on.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Just listen to yourselves! Gawd, I might actualy attend a womens match.:)

And fashions change now don't they. Somehow I recall a whole twenty or thirty years of shorts being somewhat shorter and tighter than what they were in the past or are now. And that would be in the mens game by the way.

Weder Bremmen's tops are nice and tight and show the lads oh-so-fit forms because why? Gotta look good, man.

Yeah, going to hotpants might be a bit far but I do agree with Blather in the sense that the female uniforms could be a little more feminine looking. Nothing wrong with that! Blatter is getting way to much heat for suggesting this. You wouldn't expect to see someone like Mia Hamm wearing long, baggy man-shorts out on the streets, right?

Archived