Good article on Futsal...

beachesl

Read the article this a.m. as well as the one on the following page [print edition]which featured one of the keepers who represented Canada at a recent tournament.

I chuckled because in the article reproduced above the ball is described as "heavier,less lively". The caption to one of the photographs on the next page described it as "lighter and more lively"...which is it? From what I saw of the tournament from Egypt the former seems correct.

I can see its appeal from a skill development perspective. As a spectator sport, it was [at least for me] like watching paint peel, never mind dry if that tournament is any indication of how international futsal is.

I had not appreciated the red card, penalties and non-contact aspect of the game until I read the article.

Seeing futsal played live by people who are skilled, but not overly proficient at futsal, I really loved it. It was better paced, more skill, etc. The Egypt tourney was like watching basketball without a shot clock. Overall I think it's a good game and hopefully will help development.

The ball definitely is less lively. I'm not sure if it's 'heavy' but it's definitely kind of dead. It also hits you pretty hard when you try to save it.

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

The ball is not only less lively, it is smaller than the outdoor ball. I doubt that in fact it is heavier.

I watch high level Spanish league here on tv and it is not always that exciting. A lot of contention and control, occasionally a team could score 9 but more usual you see a 6-2 or 5-3 result. I guess that is enough goals to keep fans happy. But even then if you got a couple hundred out for a top game in Canada that would be good.

A Futsal ball is indeed weighted! If you hold a ball straight out at shoulder height the ball will bounce no higher than your shin. Whereas, a regular soccer ball will bounce to your chest if not higher with the new technologies in the lighter balls! The rationale for this is that futsal is a ball skills game and not a kick/dump and run style of game. To me this is why everyone under the age of 14, should be playing this form of indoor as you are forced to improve one's ball skills. In futsal, you cannot play in board style of indoor with 4 field players a brusier at the back and a keeper, as you will accumulate fouls and end up in the penalty phase. Also the no board game(hangar/soccer centre) is still conducive to the kick/dump and run stlye of soccer.

Now that the CSA will be taking over Futsal in the spring, here's hoping there will be wider accetance of this game!!!!:D

Archived