La Befana delivers for Italian soccer fans

DJT

A heads-up that Serie A is in action on Tuesday, January 6. All matches on Telelatino, all times Eastern:

9:00 AM - Inter vs. Lecce        (live, replay Wednesday at 11:00 PM)
11:00 AM - Juventus vs. Perugia (tape, replay Thursday at 11:00 PM)
2:30 PM - Roma vs. Milan (live, replay Friday at 11:00 PM)
11:00 PM - Reggina vs. Lazio (tape, no replay)[/code]

Roma vs. Milan - Roma (1st) lead Milan (2nd) by 6 points but Milan have a game in hand, so this is a big one. The two teams will also meet each other again next week and the week after that in the Coppa Italia quarterfinals.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

A heads-up that Serie A is in action on Tuesday, January 6. All matches on Telelatino, all times Eastern:

IS it a holiday in Italy or something? Otherwise it doesn't make much sense to play round 15 Tuesday instead of 2 days earlier. Oh well, guess I'll just be staying up until at least 1:00am. Another productive day at the office in store for me on Wednesday. [V]

Yep...called La Bafana...Nobody works today so they might as well catch up on the 2 weeks break they had for christmas.. If i'm not mistaken its for the Epifany...My grandmother will kill me that i dont know what its for....

btw good game between roma and milan....i have to say though, Cassano is a whiny little git :)

not that anyone who watches serie a doesn't know that :D

quote:Originally posted by TorontoInferno

Yep...called La Bafana...Nobody works today so they might as well catch up on the 2 weeks break they had for christmas.. If i'm not mistaken its for the Epifany...My grandmother will kill me that i dont know what its for....

btw good game between roma and milan....i have to say though, Cassano is a whiny little git :)

not that anyone who watches serie a doesn't know that :D

Catechism 101: The Epiphany is the 12th day after Christmas and is traditionally associated with the visit of the wise men bearing gifts. Big holiday in Mexico (Three Kings day) and other RC countries.

Guest Jeffery S.

Holdiay here in Spain, and for many the key day to receive gifts for Xmas. So take that. Nice for us workers as sometimes it means a very long weekend. Like this one.

In Spanish it is called, simply, Los Reyes, The Kings. Epiphany, rightly observed. Happens to be, funnily enough, the king of Spain's birthday.

La Bufana, with my son I have watched an Italian cartoon about La Bufana called "The Blue Arrow", about one of those grinch imitators trying to steal Xmas type stories and a kid saving the day with the toys as they come to life. Isn't La Bufana a story about a grandmother who delivers gifts?

Yeah i just asked my father :) thanks for clearing it up

Incidentally, he also told me that the only gifts he got in sicily (for la bafana or anything) were the prizes from laundry detergent ... and even that was a mad scramble...

Sweets and other rare desserts were the only presents they got at special events....

Yup, La Befana is the old woman/witch who brings gifts on Epiphany to commemorate the bringing of the gifts by the Three Wise Men to Jesus. That's why I titled this thread "La Befana delivers"! Glad to see that some cultural discussion resulted, I was hoping for that.

I grew up with La Befana along with Santa Claus as my mother remembered the former from when she was a child in Italy (with stories like TorontoInferno posted) and carried on the tradition. It was fun to receive gifts not once but twice! Today January 6 marks the end of the Christmas season for my family as it's the last day before the tree and lights and other decorations are taken down. :(

i have to say though, Cassano is a whiny little git

Geez, I hate that guy, and I did even before he went to Roma. He and Totti together, nice pair [rolls eyes]. Just wait until he appears in a Euro or World Cup, the Italy-bashing will reach an all-time high!

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Geez, I hate that guy, and I did even before he went to Roma. He and Totti together, nice pair [rolls eyes]. Just wait until he appears in a Euro or World Cup, the Italy-bashing will reach an all-time high!

Personally I think Totti is the greatest! He is pure class on the pitch and a pleasure to watch (maybe not as classy as Sinisa Mihajlovic, but what can ya do?) ...

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Holdiay here in Spain, and for many the key day to receive gifts for Xmas. So take that. Nice for us workers as sometimes it means a very long weekend. Like this one.

Cool. That's something you'll never ever ever EVER see in North America (people also getting a Monday off when the Tuesday is a holiday)

Cassano was stupid to go to Roma so young, he put his development back 2 years by not staying at Bari, now he is just the opitomy of a young spoiled overpaid athelete (stories of his youth or upbringing notwithstanding). If he had stayed at Bari for even another year and resisted the 'inevitable' windfall. For an impressionable *child* such as Antonino, Totti would have to rate as the WORST role model i can think of...ok Mihaijlovic or Conceicao would be close, but Totti is the biggest diver, complainer, give it your 10% player i've ever seen. End of Rant..but yeah i hate totti, but he is good at what he does, i'll admit that [:P]

Totti would have to rate as the WORST role model i can think of...ok Mihaijlovic or Conceicao would be close, but Totti is the biggest diver, complainer, give it your 10% player i've ever seen. End of Rant..but yeah i hate totti, but he is good at what he does, i'll admit that [:P]

Yup, all you said is true. Well, either that or Totti is the Serie A player of the season so far. Hmmm... I think its gotta be one or the other... I wonder where Roma would be this season if they didn't have a guy like Totti bringing the team down by giving his usual 10% effort and merely second-best goal scoring tally in the league?!

quote:Yup, all you said is true. Well, either that or Totti is the Serie A player of the season so far. Hmmm... I think its gotta be one or the other... I wonder where Roma would be this season if they didn't have a guy like Totti bringing the team down by giving his usual 10% effort and merely second-best goal scoring tally in the league?!

Hey, I didn't say he wasn't talented. :) What i did say is that he is a lazy player. You can be a great scorer and be lazy at the same time (look at Trezeguet). Sure he takes free kicks, and scores those wonderful lobs (palonetti; i love that word hehehe), but Shevchenko or Adriano i would be more fearful of (as a keeper) than Totti.

I'd have to argue that Chivu or to a lesser extent Carew would be more the reason for Roma's success. Remember Roma stunk last year, and Totti was a part of that team. Its like the Leafs this year, Roma has a better supporting cast this year than last, and are doing better.

Hey, I didn't say he wasn't talented. :) What i did say is that he is a lazy player. You can be a great scorer and be lazy at the same time (look at Trezeguet). Sure he takes free kicks, and scores those wonderful lobs (palonetti; i love that word hehehe), but Shevchenko or Adriano i would be more fearful of (as a keeper) than Totti.

I'd have to argue that Chivu or to a lesser extent Carew would be more the reason for Roma's success. Remember Roma stunk last year, and Totti was a part of that team. Its like the Leafs this year, Roma has a better supporting cast this year than last, and are doing better.

At the back Roma is much better this year with Mancini and Chivu. But up front? IT's Totti with occasional help from Mancini (but no more than what he normally got from Cafu), and THAT's IT! Shevchenko is lethal but he gets so much help from other guys. I mean, Montella is injured, Delvecchio is crap, Carew is wood and Cassano just isn't "there" yet. Plus, Totti plays more of a central-role than all the forwards I mentioned here!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Personally I think Totti is the greatest! He is pure class on the pitch and a pleasure to watch (maybe not as classy as Sinisa Mihajlovic, but what can ya do?) ...

Hey, I don't like Mihajlovic either, so you're not going to get me with that one!

I think there's such a big gap between Roma last season and Roma this season because last season they under-performed and this season they are over-performing. None of the changes they made were big enough to explain the drastic change.

Archived