Kingston Konvention (June 13, 2004)

Varsity Tyler

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:

Brilliant!

Beer garden tent. Standing section. Goal.

I am sooo there.

It does sound like fun, but you can't annex all those who are under 19. I'm 18 and getting in with an id is always dodgy regardless of how good my fake is. Also, I'm not going to volunteer to write this proposal, volunteer to handle the finances (consider this me volunteering) and then sit elsewhere. Then there's also those who may want to bring young teens, kids etc. into the section. We can't limit our numbers in our first attempt at doing this.

Otherwise, I've started to draft a proposal. Please comment on ideas/themes as opposed to spelling and style. I'll edit for that later. This is the start of it:

Introduction

The men’s World Cup team has not played in Canada since a cold night in November more than three years past. Since then, the team has played abroad numerous times. Canada managed encouraging results against the likes of Switzerland, Costa Rica and Libya, and fought bravely against Scotland, Ireland and Germany, amongst others.

The recent development of a home fixture has the community of Canadian supporters highly anticipating this summer. With a fresh manager in place and our brightest stars on board, there is a renewed sense of optimism within Canadian ranks. Soccer fans in Canada are anxious for June 12, 2004.

We, the Voyageurs, are Canada’s national soccer supporters. At present, we represent the height of excitement when it comes to the upcoming match against Belize. In past years our members have ventured across land and water to watch Canada play; Cairo, Edinburgh, Fort Lauderdale and Boston are all recent destinations. The opportunity to now see our team at home is exhilarating. Understandably, we want to give this important event its due service.

The Proposal

The announcement of Kingston’s Richardson Stadium as the venue for the June match is particularly pleasing for fans in Canada’s east. Already, there has been a large outpouring of commitment to trek to Kingston for the match. There are a number of supporters in the Windsor-Montreal corridor ready to cheer. Moreover, people from as far west as Vancouver have expressed interest in attending the game.

Organizing a proper supporter’s section for individuals that come from across the country is not easy; we ask your assistance. If possible, please set aside a block of approximately one hundred tickets. The Voyageurs do not know exactly how many people want to attend the match in a unified section, only that there is widespread interest to do so. One hundred people, by many accounts, is a realistic estimate. We plan to market the section and collect money for tickets via our website (http://www.canadian-soccer.com). Upon a deadline safely in advance of the match, we will deliver the funds, pick up the tickets and then handle distribution by mail. Essentially this is a regular group buy of tickets, the only oddity being that a section is informally reserved for the Voyageurs. It would be horrible to market our section as unified, place the order and then hear that we must be split up to accommodate our numbers. The reservation that we ask is critical to success.

Fine Details

If the request were feasible, some small details would further aid us. Ideally, we will be towards the front of whatever stand we fill. This will allow us to be closer to the action and better able to support Canadian players on the pitch. Of course, this is negotiable. All people in the section will be standing. While we desire a spot close to the field, we understand that obstructing other patron’s views is a concern.

Associated with positioning are television cameras. We feel that it would be excellent mutual promotion to have our section in view of the television cameras.

To elaborate on our section’s behaviour, we plan to host a standing section. Individuals who opt to view the game with us are encouraged to stand, sing, drum, cheer, and wave flags and banners in support of Canada. Of course, all of this is within limits. We are not hooligans, and we do not plan on becoming such. No crude behaviour will be tolerated, and the rules that govern fan attendance will be adhered to.

Well done VT.Are you sure that you're only 18?

I can't see the CSA snubbing us on this.They'd have to be crazy to not try and make this happen.We're really not asking for much here.Just to get maybe the first 5 or 6 rows of a section I'd imagine.

Anyway this is a great start.Maybe you could add Pasadena to the list of places Voyageurs have ventured to watch the MNT in the last few years.

Kill the last two sentences and I think you've nailed it. Oh, and two other things.

1). As bad as my spelling and grammer is I know for 100% certainty that Guinness has two n's. Trust me on this one.

2). 18 eh? Wish I was still 18. No, wait. Got that wrong. Wish I could REMEMBER when I was 18. Hell, wish I could remember the late eighties...

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

1). As bad as my spelling and grammer is I know for 100% certainty that Guinness has two n's. Trust me on this one.

Fast-forward to 20 years down the line in a roadside pub, where Cheeta walks in to find a worn-down looking Mimglow muttering into his beer...

...I misspelled a beer name. I misspelled it, I did...I just haven't felt worthy since that point...

Mimglow passes out

quote:Originally posted by WilfPTheReal99

Take that back! Wish you could remember the late Eighties? Take that back now you freak! :P

Did I write that? Oh,,,My,,, God. I did. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

To music lovers everywhere, I apologise.

Re; Mimglow.

Scooorre!! I'm printing this page and sending it to my Mum. She'll be pleased beyond words. Kinda like when I almost passed the Grade 11 "04" English exam. that I wrote in crayon. Would have made it too except for that last question. Well, at least something good came out of it 'cause now I'll always remember how to spell cat.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

ok one word of wisdom...if u plan on driving from winnipeg, and u want to stop somewhere overnight.....thry your HARDEST to avoid wawa. Its in a convinient location distance-wise,but it's the biggest **** hole ever. I stopped there once (from winnipeg to toronto) and shal never again. The motel there is absolutely gross. Just thought you guys should keep that in mind....try to find somewehere els eot stop for the night.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

ok one word of wisdom...if u plan on driving from winnipeg, and u want to stop somewhere overnight.....thry your HARDEST to avoid wawa. Its in a convinient location distance-wise,but it's the biggest **** hole ever.

Thanks Marc. I know EXACTLY what you mean. Between Thunder Bay and

Sault St. Marie, right? At least Marathon (or was it Terrace Bay?)

had an A&W ...

I usually go through the US route, but make sure you have proper ID

(passport preferable) and DON'T have any sense of humour with the border INS ... [:0]

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Thanks Marc. I know EXACTLY what you mean. Between Thunder Bay and

Sault St. Marie, right? At least Marathon (or was it Terrace Bay?)

had an A&W ...

I usually go through the US route, but make sure you have proper ID

(passport preferable) and DON'T have any sense of humour with the border INS ... [:0]

I just checked my air-miles and have enough to get to the 'Peg. Maybe I can ride in the trunk to Kingston from there, but I'd have to insist on the Canadian route ... call it a Berdusco thing. :D

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

ok one word of wisdom...if u plan on driving from winnipeg, and u want to stop somewhere overnight.....thry your HARDEST to avoid wawa.

Yeah but Wawa has a big Canada Goose and that has to count for something!

Been trying to sell the Wife on an Eastern Canada "Towns that I have lived in" Tour: Winnipeg, Elliot Lake, Ottawa, Kingston but she's seen through the ruse. I doubt I'll make Kingston, unfortuately.

http://members.rogers.com/tyler_adamsky/Proposal.htm

^^^^

That's where you can read the latest version of the proposal. I haven't written a formal business letter in some time. If somebody could educate me of the proper format then it would be great.

Aside from formatting, I think that it's pretty good. Marc P on the other forum stressed that the first draft was too assertive. I agree with his assessment and I took the tone down a notch accordingly.

This is your letter guys; this is your chance to have a say. Make the most of the opportunity.

http://members.rogers.com/tyler_adamsky/Proposal.htm

^^^^

That's where you can read the latest version of the proposal. I haven't written a formal business letter in some time. If somebody could educate me of the proper format then it would be great.

Aside from formatting, I think that it's pretty good. Marc P on the other forum stressed that the first draft was too assertive. I agree with his assessment and I took the tone down a notch accordingly.

This is your letter guys; this is your chance to have a say. Make the most of the opportunity.

Archived