questrion bout simpson?

marcl_19

OK...i been following soccer for a few years but i been following hockey for a lil longer. The phx coyotez (my favourite team....as i used to live in winnipeg...i loved the jets)

The phx coyotes of the nhl take part in a rookie tourny every year for the last couple years... There's always talk about how their ncaa players cant go cause if they buy their plane tickets or whateve rit jepradieses their eligibilty in college hockey...did josh simpson have to pay his own way to the wyc, or was he able ot have the csa pay it with the permission of the ncaa?

From my understanding with regards to soccer. The players can be paid, just not by a professional team. Case in point the "W-League" was not considered a Professional league allowing NCAA women the chance to play in this league and get paid, without jeopardizing their scholarships. The same goes for National Team Duties. Since they are not classified as Professional teams in the eye of NCAA, they have no problems. Just my $0.02

There many reason one should be careful regarding eligibilty under the NCAA rules.

From my understanding these are the rules one must be careful with

NO exception ot the rules:

Any written or verbal representation obtaining the services of an agent fifa or not does not matter.

Register on a professional team in league play.

The following could disqualify you for # of games in the NCAA if accepted

Particiipated in on a professional team in a game 11 v 11

If you recieved monies above the normal expenses.

Accepting any benifits from an agent or agency or anyone associated with an agent or agency.

any benfits accepted from anyone other than your parents

any prize money based on your place of finish for your participation

If your team recieved money above expenses for their participation on any of the teams on which you particpated eg salary bonus etc

Trials to any clubs is a legal contract. They required all offical trials by player to be disclosed and a copy of that trial must be forwarded to the NCAA for verifaction.

These are some things that I know, and the consiqences of these items above could be mean punishment up to certain amount of games with your team of the NCAA and or your not allowed to play in the NCAA thus Nullifing your Scholarship.

But the first two is a no no!

Thats why ADU could not play in the NCAA he had an agent working for him. He had no choice but to accept the MLS........

Hope this helps.

Everyone is watching your progress and when it comes time to get you they will after all we live in a protest world and a very jeoulous to for that matter.

Further I just want to add I believe the students from europe have another set of rules for qualify in the NCAA because of the standards of teams there but im not total sure may one shed some light to tjhis it would be nice

Agree NCAA is very strict. A young friend of mine and my son is now attending school on a NCAA track scholarship. At 16, he had to be careful not to accept even a pair of running shoes at recreational road races for fear of it negating his eligibility.

Young people need to be incredibly careful if they are considering going to NCAA programs.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

see this makes no sense. why can an athlete not get a professional athletic job, but an engineering student is applauded for getting an engineering position over the summer? makes no sense whatsoever.

Even stupider is that they can accept huge cash payouts if they go into a "trust fund" but the pair of shoes or even playing in a game against Major Junior players in hockey will render then ineligible. And then you get the example of guys like Danny Ainge, playing professional baseball, yet retaining his eligibility for basketball.

Gordon I dont think nessessary playing in a game against Major Junior players in hockey will render then ineligible. But they may considered a punishment of a few games in the NCAA because of it. I believe its the intent that may be Questioned. But i hope its not that serious of not being eligible.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Gordon I dont think nessessary playing in a game against Major Junior players in hockey will render then ineligible. But they may considered a punishment of a few games in the NCAA because of it. I believe its the intent that may be Questioned. But i hope its not that serious of not being eligible.

Well this may have changed, but I had a co-worker whose son lost his NCAA eligibility simply for attending an evaluation camp help by the Moose Jaw Warriors about 10 years ago.

Exhibition games in major junior will cost you a year at least. A goalie from Calgary had a full ride to Wisconsin after leading his team to the Royal Bank Cup final and getting drafted by Chicago. But three years earlier had played one period in three different pre-season games for Spokane of the WHL. He would have had to sit a year, losing that year of eligibility before going. So he's in the WHL this year.

There was also an intra-squad scrimmage this year that just happened to feature a lot of players from another team. It was basically an exhibition game without rosters, with practice jerseys and no admission.

And don't get me started on the NCAA rule that says if you play Junior A after you turn 21, you lose a year of eligibility. It means guys in their final season have to abandon their teams before their birthday hits. Heaven help you if it's in the middle of the playoffs. It just makes guys with early birthdays less attractive to teams and since they can't play thy're therefore less attractive to NCAA teams. Catch-22.

I don't know how the NCAA decides these things. You get room and board, equipment and a litttle spending cash in Major Junior and you can't play, but if you are paid by team in a pro league like the W-League, that's cool?

cheers,

matthew

Archived