Lynx media release--2004 A=League alignment

Rocket Robin

TORONTO LYNX MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

2004 A-LEAGUE ALIGNMENT AND PLAYOFF FORMAT

December 18, 2003 (TORONTO, ON) - The United Soccer Leagues announced today the official alignment and playoff format for the 2004 A-League season. The A-League will remain divided into the Eastern and Western Conference, however, the four division format will be dropped for 2004.

The Toronto Lynx will compete in the Eastern Conference with former Northeast Division rivals Montreal Impact, Rochester Raging Rhinos and Syracuse Salty Dogs. They will be joined by the Atlanta Silverbacks, Richmond Kickers, Virginia Beach Mariners and defending A-League Champion Charleston Battery, former members of the Southeast Division, as well as, the expansion Puerto Rico Islanders. The Western Conference will be composed of Calgary, Milwaukee Wave United, Minnesota Thunder, Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders, Vancouver Whitecaps and the expansion Edmonton Aviators.

The new 16-team A-League will have a more Canadian feel this season with Edmonton becoming the fifth team from Canada. The addition of Puerto Rico will add further international flavour to the Eastern Conference.

2004 Playoff format:

The 2004 A-League playoff format will remain relatively the same as 2003 with the top four teams from each conference advancing to the postseason and playing in a two-leg, aggregate score series in the conference semifinals to take place on September 3rd and 5th with the winners advancing to the conference finals on September 10th and 12th. The playoffs will culminate on September 18th with the A-League finals, broadcast on Fox Sports World and Fox Sports World Canada.

“Although the disparity in the number of teams competing in each Conference creates the challenge of selecting a playoff structure equitable to teams from both Conferences, we are excited to have arrived at a format consistent with recent A-League seasons,” said A-League director Tim Holt. “Selecting the top four teams from each of the two Conferences puts an emphasis on the importance of success throughout the regular season, as well as increasing the likelihood of the added drama when teams face their rivals in the race for the A-League Championship.”

-30-

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:

DAVID NUTT – MEDIA RELATIONS, TORONTO LYNX

416-251-4625 ext. 30

No surprises here. It is hard to believe but the A-league had as many as 30 teams a few years ago. Finally the weaker teams have been weeded out and I'm looking forward to more parity in the league. I also very much like the two conference idea. I know it is very early but here are my predictions of the four teams that will reach the playoffs in both conferences:

East: Montreal[^], Rochester, Virginia Beach and Charleston

West: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland and Minnesota

Any other predictions?

Albert

Archived