Canada - Spain Thread

Reza

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could somebody describe the golden goal please?

Thanks,

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Shyte. Man, I hate giving up goals like that. Good run by the boys, gave Spain all they could handle, but there is still a pretty big skill gap. Poor Asanate will be seeing that goal for the rest of his life.

a simple defensive lapse that every defender dreads.

the ball is played into the goalmouth and two defenders allow it to pass by, actually, the last defender sort of hesitated to kick it (i think) fearing he would put it into his own net OR figuring his Gk was ready to pounce on the ball. The spanish striker (very sneaky) slipped and muscled his way through, grabbed the ball, Alim was to late to pounce on it as he dived for it and the spanish striker cut to his left and around the Cdn. GK and slottted it home.

Ouch...the errors of omission always hurt more.

Tough luck, but a great run.

I work with a Colombian ex-pat and we were already making plans to schedule a meeting for Monday morning (at the Duke!). :(

Blair

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

OK, I'll try a quick description. Spain boots it into the box. It falls in front of Asanate who appears to leave it for Karim, who isn't there to take it. Spanish player takes it around Karim and slots it in.

OUUUCHHH nows that hurts. I'm suddenly feeling some chest pain.Maybe I should take a walk at this point.

Besides that I'm happy that Canada has shown its true capabilities, and even if a soft goal was scored against us to win, we showed a lot of character in this tournament.

Didn't see the goal myself, be hopefully our defense could find a way to move on from what happened.

Congrates to Canada

Long ball off of free kick. Headed by Arango but falling to the feet of a Spanish player at the edge of the box. His touch is such that Assante has the opportunity to clear, it looks to me as if he tried to just touch it to Arango, but wiffs. Karim trie to come out but the Spanish player rounds him...not much Karim could do given circumstances, and buries it.

i doubt Alim was calling for it, maybe, he was thinking the defenders would take care of it. On the other hand, the defenders probably were thinking lets play it safe and leave it for the GK. i suspect either he (the defender) was attempting to try and clear it but seemed like he held back. Also, no one expected the spanish defender to squeeze through and free himself to the ball, the way he did.

(i would have to see teh replay one or two more times to get a clear and concise breakdown of the event)

The goal : Arango whis his head duel with a spanish in the box

But the ball directly goes in the feet of the scorer

He passes Hutchinson and Asante that hesitates to put the foot (was he afraid of a penalty ?)

And then, goal :'(

My prediction was that Canada would qualify after penalty kicks..

Damn !

Huge gap between the two teams, almost in organization and ball circulation

But the Canadian goal "destroyed" the (high) self confidence of the spanishes who sometimes played by walking...

We deserved better... almost against 10 men

But Spain was stronger and the only better thing that to be out after extra-time is to qualify

Great game, congratulations to the group

The future's bright :)

Canada loses to Spanish golden goal at world youth soccer championship

posted December 12 @ 11:19, EST

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (CP) - Substitute Javier Arizmendi scored a golden goal as Spain needed 95 minutes to subdue a brave Canadian side 2-1 in the quarter-finals of the world under-20 soccer championships Friday.

The goal came from a long free kick from within the Spanish side that Canadian defender Andres Arango failed to clear. Instead, he nodded it down to Arizmendi, who plays for Atletico Madrid, who beat two wrongfooted defenders and poked the ball past goalkeeper Karim Alim with his left foot.

Many of the Canadian players collapsed onto the ground after the goal, exhausted from battling a Spanish side whose players belong to some of the biggest clubs in the world.

It was the farthest a Canadian side had ever gone in a FIFA men's championship.

The Spaniards were reduced to 10 men in the 65th minute when Victor Vitolo was sent off for a second yellow card.

Iain Hume tied the game for Canada with a thundering strike in the 53rd minute. The striker from Tranmere Rovers in the English Second Division has scored three of Canada's four goals at the tournament. And the native of Brampton, Ont., had a shot at another when he rocketed a free kick off the goalpost.

Barcelona's Andres Iniesta had put the Spaniards ahead in the 35th minute after a wonderful pass by the Spanish captain Juan Alberto Melli of Real Betis split the Canadian defence. Iniesta, one of the stars of the Spanish side, poked the ball past an onrushing Karim.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

one thing that impressed me about this game is that our boys possessed 41% of the game esp. against soccer giants, however, they gave up nine CK to one.

The corners didn't reflect the game I thought. The got several after a man down where they'd just fire the ball out to the flanks and the winger would try to take on the Canadian defenders. Got some corners out of it, smart play tactically, but really not reflective of much IMO.

Hey,

Great game. Great things should come from this tournament. Simpson, Hume, Atiba and Matondo should all expect some offers. The Spanish, who felt fit to foul him every time he touched the ball, paid Simpson the greatest respect.

No shame in the loss as Spain really was the better, though not by too much, team. Their attacks were better planned and really stretched our defence. Even with 10 men they looked more likely to score.

All that said we played exceptionally well and proved that we have the skill to compete with the worlds best. All our players have ever really needed is confidence as the skill is there.

This team exceeded my expectations by far as I initially picked the early first round exited due to the usual problems that plague Canadian teams.

We will have a great team by 2010.

Paul

That FIFA report who seem to blame Arango for the winning goal when really I don't think there was more that he could do. Unfortunately the blame has to go to the otherwise excellent Richard Asante, who seem to hesitate at the wrong time.

But well-done Canada - sucks that we lost when we a win was certainly possible, but I give all the lads plaudits for making it this far, taking Spain into extra-time & essentially doing the country proud. Hopefully a few players will land Euro jobs (or in the case of some, even better Euro jobs). The quality of Hume's strikes suggests strongly that he could help Canada score some goals in World Cup qualifying.

Well done to Dale Mitchell as well, and thumbs down to the officiating - I'm not saying they cost us the match, but generally they were horrible (for both teams). Matondo gets a yellow for wearing something black underneath his shorts, & then they fight with Lemire for what seemed half an hour over his thigh-pad. Bunch of pedantic losers, let them play the game!

While all this "brave Canada", "Canuck spirit" stuff is very nice and flattering, I get the feeling there is also a negative side to this.

It seems to stem more from the idea that Canada is not a footballing nation, and thus can never be as talented as a nation like Spain. Hence, when instances like this take place (the game and the tournament in general) it seems instinct to attribute it to our boy's heart and guts. Yet, in all this gushing over out Canadian spirit, the fact that we showed we can be just as technically efficient as world powers is over-looked. In playing up our heart, the actual skill behind the performance is over-looked.

I liked the way the commentator put it. This game was a sign that quite simply the gulf between football powers and smaller footballing nations like Canada is drastically shrinking. That has nothing to do with heart, nothing to do with any type of mythical Canuck brawn. It all has to do with ability.

Our finishing, above all, proved that in this tournament.

Well I'm totally gutted, but I'm so proud. Watching 20-45 I was thinking, 'we're playing decently, but Spain is just in another class' and then in the second half we took them out of their game and gave them a real scare. I don't mind having a mentality of being battlers and the underdogs. We didn't play scared today and even when down a goal we rallied and startled Spain.

The effort was tremendous. I know there's criticisms for praising our efforts in defeat, but I have nothing but good things to say after the way we played today. Some day in the future I'll be ready to talk about who may or may not be ready to be contributors for our full nats, but today they're all heroes and did us all proud.

cheers,

matthew

I just want to congratulate “Paul Mitchell” for a job well done. I am not sure if anyone else noticed that the guy from Eurosport was getting Dave’s name wrong during the first few minutes of the game. I am certain that the announcer will never make that mistake again!

I had my doubts about "Paul" as a manager. After the disastrous performance of our jnr. nats in Argentina, I was very skeptical of a Canadian coach. G-L, Krammerhead and others assured me that Mitchell was very component, they were right!

It was nice to see a confident, aggressive squad out there. I have never been prouder of a Canadian national team. Simpson, Hume, Matondo, Arango and Hutchinson looked great!! I hope they continue to develop.

Just a side note: I thought the referring was excellent. Matando’s card and the Lemaire incident were strange, but the referee, to his credit, did an incredibly good job. A poorer ref. would have given Spain a PK for Karim’s foul in the 1st half. I also wonder how many referees would have the guts to send Vitolo off?

Archived