Impact re-sign Sutton, Sebrango and Roberto

Alberto7

Taken from the Impact web site:

SEBRANGO, SUTTON, ROBERTO EACH SIGN A THREE-YEAR CONTRACT

MONTREAL, December 11, 2003 – The Montreal Impact announced Thursday the signing of forward Eduardo Sebrango, goalkeeper Greg Sutton and midfielder Zé Roberto. All three players, who became free agents at the end of the 2003 season, signed for a period of three years with the Montreal club.

"These are all important players who play in key positions and we’re pleased to have them back," said Impact head coach Nick DeSantis. "To build a competitive team you also need to ensure some continuity. With Greg Sutton in nets, Zé Roberto in the midfield and Eduardo Sebrango up front, we are giving the team stability but also consolidating the team for the future."

Sebrango (photo) played 20 of the Impact's 28 games in 2003, following a torn ACL to the right knee that put an end to his season on July 23. He nevertheless scored six goals and picked up a total of 15 points. Only Mauro Biello (seven goals, 20 points) and Zé Roberto (six goals, 17 points) did better with the Montreal squad over the last season.

"It was very frustrating for me last year because I felt so helpless at the end of the season," said Sebrango, who received the green light from the team doctors to resume training in January. "I’m very pleased to have signed for three years because I always wanted to play in Montreal. But more importantly, I can’t wait for the next season."

In 2002, Sebrango was crowned the Impact's team MVP after scoring 18 goals and collecting 36 points to establish two new club records. He finished on top of the A-League's goal-scoring race and was named on the first All A-League team.

Goalkeeper Greg Sutton is coming off his best A-League season ever. Proclaimed the A-League's Goalkeeper of the Year and winner of the Giuseppe Saputo Trophy, awarded to the Impact's team MVP, he led the league's goalkeepers for goals-against average (0.731), minutes played (2,463), shutouts (11) and wins (15). His 11 shutouts were also a personal best. In addition, he was named on the first All A-League team.

Zé Roberto, a Brazilian-born midfielder who is renowned for his offensive and defensive play, was the team's second leading scorer in 2003. He picked up six goals and five assists for a total of 17 points, his best offensive output in four seasons in the A-League. His performance earned him a spot on the second All A-League team.

Excellent news for Impact fans. I hope Sebrango will be fully healed from his torn ACL.

Archived