Radz and Lars News and Other Stuff...

Massive Attack

Everton shoots down rumours that Canadian striker is on the move

By NEIL DAVIDSON

(CP) - Everton has shot down reports that Canadian striker Tomasz Radzinski is on the move.

"We have had no approaches from any other club with regards to Tomasz Radzinski," Everton chief executive Michael Dunford told the club's official website. "He still has 18 months left on his contract and it is unlikely that the possibility of any new contract - or contract extension - will be discussed before next summer."

Everton signed Radzinski from Belgium's Anderlecht for 4.5 million pounds ($10.3 million Cdn) in July 2001. The speedy forward - Canada's most expensive soccer export - has scored 22 goals in 77 appearances.

The Sun tabloid has linked Radzinski to Aston Villa and Spain's Real Valladolid. Blackburn is also reportedly interested.

The Liverpool Daily Post has reported that the Canadian has approached the club for a contract extension, looking to further his future at Goodison Park. The paper speculated that while manager David Moyes wants to strengthen his midfield, he may have to sell off an asset like Radzinski to do so.

Everton has a glut of forwards in England star Wayne Rooney, Kevin Campbell, Duncan Ferguson, James McFadden and Francis Jeffers.

Moyes has tried playing a formation with three up front this season.

Radzinski, who turns 30 on Sunday, led the Toffees in scoring last season with 11 goals. He has four so far this season.

Villa manager David O'Leary has said he wants to sign a "proven striker" if his board gives him the money. The Birmingham-based club have scored just 11 goals in 15 Premiership games this season - tied for worst in the league with Wolves.

-

Lars Waits: Canadian goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld should know by the end of the week if he is to join English Second Division team Plymouth Argyle on loan.

Hirschfeld played for the Pilgrims on Tuesday in a 3-1 reserves win over Swansea.

"We've got all week with him, so we'll have a look at him in training," Argyle manager Paul Sturrock was quoted in the Plymouth Herald on Wednesday. "But he can't play in the first team unless we sign him on loan. And we'll decide that at the end of the week."

The 25-year-old from Edmonton is currently the No. 3 goalie at Premier League side Tottenham.

Plymouth, which is already home to midfielder Jason Bent of Brampton, Ont., is looking for goalkeeping cover with starter Romain Larrieu sidelined with ligament damage.

"I think it went quite well," Hirschfeld, speaking to the Plymouth paper, said of his debut.

"There were certain times when the communications are not quite there yet, but after a while the back four and myself got comfortable with each other."

Hirschfeld was loaned to Luton Town towards the end of last season but was sidelined after just five games when he injured his hamstring.

-

W-League Grows: The W-League will feature 37 teams for the 2004 season - its 10th - with the addition of a dozen new clubs.

The women's league will continue in a three-conference format but the Northern Conference, formerly the Eastern Conference, will be split into three divisions: New England, North Central and Northeast.

The Central Conference is still comprised of the Atlantic and Midwest Divisions while the Western Conference remains one group.

The North Central Division will feature the Toronto Inferno, Ottawa Fury, Rochester Ravens and two newcomers: the Sudbury Canadians and a club in Montreal to be announced in January.

The Edmonton Aviators Women and a new club in Calgary will join the Vancouver Whitecaps, Seattle Sounders, Arizona Heatwave, Denver Lady Cougars, Fort Collins Force and Mile High Mustangs in the Western Conference.

Six of the 12 new clubs will be in the Central Conference with teams debuting in Cleveland, Detroit, Fort Wayne, West Michigan, Richmond and Bradenton.

-

A-League draft: Expansion Puerto Rico and Edmonton will have the first two picks in the A-League college draft set for Dec. 17. The remaining picks were determined by reverse order of finish. Calgary goes third, Toronto fifth and Vancouver 12th.

The draft will consist of two rounds, with 16 picks in each.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2003/12/10/283237-cp.html

Radz should leave Everton for Blackburn to partner Andy Cole, plus they have an excellent midfield capable of, especially Tugay, feeding Radz on a more consistent basis. I think Radz is a bit tired of those half chances he gets every game or game and a half at Everton.

I`m an Everton fan but they have a horrible midfield!! Not even 1 player with talent, besides Gravesen at times.

quote:Originally posted by fza

Radz should leave Everton for Blackburn to partner Andy Cole, plus they have an excellent midfield capable of, especially Tugay, feeding Radz on a more consistent basis. I think Radz is a bit tired of those half chances he gets every game or game and a half at Everton.

I`m an Everton fan but they have a horrible midfield!! Not even 1 player with talent, besides Gravesen at times.

Was going to write Radz. would make a complete, and positive, change to Blackburns attack. He will open the field for them, that's for certain.

Thinking this is all just politics, though. With the parade of strikers growing at Goodison if I were in Radz.'s boots as the #1 front man I'd sure be asking questions of management. Asking for an extension and seeing the response, is a good way to try to guess management's mind.

It's also a good way to draw attention, publicly, to your increasing concearns about your future at the club in a cautious, round-about fashion. Non-confrontational. Which is nice on Radz. & Companys part. You'd think that shows an amount of contentment or comfort with Everton.

Still, Radz. is Everton's biggest proven asset. His stock will only be peaked (as I think it is right now) for another season or two barring injury. There are some young Toffee frontmen who are going to be great strikers but need playing time and Everton looses truck loads of cash every year...

Archived