Nickname for Canada's National Teams

beachesl

Hume has called our style "Canuck"[}:)]? Are we happy with that as a nickname to be placed among the "Imdomiable Lions" , "Super Eagles",

"Red Devils" (stolen by the South Koreans), "Socceroos" of the world?

How about "The Overcomers" (Hallelujah!), the "Commitments",

the "Carpe Diems", the "Wolves"? Something that trasnlates well into French as well would help.

Ideas? [?]

Industrious Beavers?

Invulnerable Polar Bears?

Super Loons?

Super Ravens?

Red Blizzard?

Soccer-Eh's?

Polka Boyz?

Most of the international press already calls us the "Maple Leafs." But my favourite nickname remains "Red Surge," which was a suggestion from one of the Voyageurs a few years ago. It's a play on "Red Serge," the dress uniform of the RCMP.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Hume has called our style "Canuck"[}:)]? Are we happy with that as a nickname to be placed among the "Imdomiable Lions" , "Super Eagles",

"Red Devils" (stolen by the South Koreans), "Socceroos" of the world?

How about "The Overcomers" (Hallelujah!), the "Commitments",

the "Carpe Diems", the "Wolves"? Something that trasnlates well into French as well would help.

Ideas? [?]

What's wrong with Canucks? That's who we are. Plus, who says these other names are good ones. "Socceroos" is so damned gay, "Super Eagles" is mundane as hell...Let's not try to force ourselves into being something that we aren't. Ever hear of the Crazy Canucks of skiing lore? These guys were world famous, very good skiers, and knew how to party hard.

"Canuck Style" sounds like some sort of frigid, bald-fisted martial arts discipline. I like it. If Hume wants to call it Canuck Style, then so be it. Grit mixed with skill--burgeoning skill, thank god--is what defines us in many ways, especially in our two national sports: hockey and lacrosse.

Vive le Canada!

quote:Originally posted by Chet

Industrious Beavers?

Invulnerable Polar Bears?

Super Loons?

Super Ravens?

Red Blizzard?

Soccer-Eh's?

Polka Boyz?

Most of the international press already calls us the "Maple Leafs." But my favourite nickname remains "Red Surge," which was a suggestion from one of the Voyageurs a few years ago. It's a play on "Red Serge," the dress uniform of the RCMP.

Okay, I must admit, "Red Surge" sounds pretty cool. Nothing wrong with Maple Leafs...

Started a thread on this a couple of years ago on the old board, but it seemed to be solved with the international press calling us the Maple Leafs. But we need one for the Canuck press to refer to us by, since the Maple Leafs nickname is already taken by the great hockey team in Toronto. (So there! :) ) And you can always have more than one nickname.....

I believe "Red Minnows From Hell" was a nice suggestion made in the last year or so, and I'd take that as a back up.

Well, actually "LUmberjack" goes pretty well with "voyageur", and lumberjack also denotes the kind of grit and toughness that is in our national character. Plus we could always start singing Monty Python's Lumberjack Song when we watch our boys play live...

Guest Jeffery S.

When you win something big or catch the popular eye in a major way, a nickname will come by some natural or artificial way and will stick. That is all you can ask for.

I was happy to be a fan of Holger's Heros when that meant something, as what it meant was good enough for me. The term has faded into oblivion, but it once was fun to dream on.

I like the idea of a Canuck style, or Canuck grit. Isn't this what we want, a team that is tough to beat and irritates the opponents? I would not mind seeing the senior team playing such tight games, as is our goals against is atrocious and the dynamic of our Euro friendlies really bothersome.

quote:Originally posted by Northern Star

How about Lumberjacks?

Actually I always refer to them as "The Lumberjacks". Never anything else.

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

only prob with Maple Leafs is that there is the obvious connection to the most despicable hockey team on earth.

:D And thats a major problem! I wouldn't want the rest of the World to think that we have a dirty team with no skill!

Last time this came up I felt that you can't really invent a nickname it kind of has to happen. We already have a few and they're going to be tough to replace especially outside the country.

After the Holger's Heroes and the Larry debacle (I'm sorry Paul), I shouldn't even say anything, but I do like what we've got.

I like Canucks or Super Canucks (we need to resurect that banner). Names like Maple Leafs, Mounties (and for some reason) Lumberjacks seem to be tough to get rid of and frankly I don't mind any of them.

I like the Reds, les Rouges and my favourite of the suggestions from the previous round of discussion fuerza roja, red force. Red Surge is great too.

And Industrious Beavers and Invulnerable Polar Bears are genius, but I just can't see it catching on.

cheers,

matthew

Sean and Jeffery are right. Our last nick-name, Holger's Heros, came naturally after the Gold Cup. And that was a classy name.

If you try and come up with a nick-name by commitee, it will come off forced and lame.

Granted, I would be proud to wear a jersey with the name INDUSTRIOUS BEAVERS across it.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Sean and Jeffery are right. Our last nick-name, Holger's Heros, came naturally after the Gold Cup. And that was a classy name.

Well technically the Canadakicks.com site used Holger's Heroes in a headline during the 2000 Gold Cup after it started getting a lot of use on the Voyageurs boards, so it kind of started with us. After it appeared there, Neil Davidson mentioned it and then Gerry Dobson dropped said "Holger's Heroes some people in the media are calling them." And six months later they were selling t-shirts. So you're right it did come naturally in that there wasn't a big push or anything, it just built momentum. But we deserve some credit for getting the ball rolling, but if Bill Ault and Canadakicks hadn't noticed no one else would might have either.

I'll spare you the Oct. 99 origins of Holger's Heroes on the board.

cheers,

matthew

No, you'd be called The Duke.

Me? I'd be called WarMaker!!! Is that a pro-wrestling tag or what? In the corner to my left, from East Kildonan, Winnipeg, Canada, at 85 kilos the Canuck Style Kung Fu Master,,,,WaaaaaarMaaaakerrrr!!

Something will come up which'll stick. It'll just have to happen in it's own time.

Don't be shy though! Go back to '35 and you'll find a cub sports reporter jumbling in his mind's eye the gawdy blue and gold of the Winnipeg Football Club uniforms, the emerging legend of the hard hitting American boxer Joe "The Brown Bomber" Lewis and coming up with a nickname for the grid iron club which not only eventualy stuck, but evolved into a unique and recognised NORTH AMERICAN sporting club nickname. And a way cool nickname at that. Can you imagine? Grey Cup champion Winnipegs? Yeesh.

P.S. Red Minnows from Hell! Yeah, baby!

Archived