Canada - Burkina Faso U-20 Game Thread (R)

Gordon

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

He is a Voyageur (assuming the He part).

He's our buddy from Chile; great guy who updates us about Canucks

playing there...

(BTW, thanks for the links Francesco!)

Does anyone know if the next game would be on Sportsnet or

Galavision, or something?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone who cares, we wore white today, with red shorts. Man I'm so proud of these guys. Maybe it's all that talk about 'Canuck style" and fighting spirit, but this team is the mix of skill and guts that I think we need to build on. Spain or Paraguay are both going to be tall orders, but I know we can give them a big battle.

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

Okay, the quarter finals go at 6 PM local time, I think that is three my time in Spain. And no, we don't get this on TV here, most are watching DSF the German channel or satellite Localia. Though for the quarter finals if Spain gets in that might change and TVE would pick it up. Would be amazing to watch us live vs Spain here in Spain.

The other positive thing is that we are in Abu Dhabi where the next match will be held, and the Spain-Paraguay is in Al Ain, acc. to FIFA site some 165 km away. Not a lot, but it means the winner travel on the Wednesday morn (or late Tuesday) and that does affect their practice schedule. And of course, we have an extra day to rest, this time it's four days in the same hotel where we've been since Saturday.

So there are some little advantages for us having knocked off a group winner.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fifa match stats here: http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/event/match,1046,2003,b,a,38.html

Looks like they had more of the ball and play, look at those shots actually on goal. Our only one between the pipes went in it seems.

The other thing is that they had a lot of fouls on us. Looks like they were cutting down our play, our counters, which is where they might have picked up their cards.

All our cards came after our goal. Good work guys, that is tactical sense. I like it when Bruno comes on for Harmse, who had a card, and takes a card himself, perhaps the guy they were marking was dangerous. As long as these are happening away from the risk zone in terms of free kicks, this is good sense.

We have now gone two full games without giving up a goal (plus that bit of the Aussie game), and are now even on goals for/against.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fifa match stats here: http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/event/match,1046,2003,b,a,38.html

Looks like they had more of the ball and play, look at those shots actually on goal. Our only one between the pipes went in it seems.

The other thing is that they had a lot of fouls on us. Looks like they were cutting down our play, our counters, which is where they might have picked up their cards.

All our cards came after our goal. Good work guys, that is tactical sense. I like it when Bruno comes on for Harmse, who had a card, and takes a card himself, perhaps the guy they were marking was dangerous. As long as these are happening away from the risk zone in terms of free kicks, this is good sense.

We have now gone two full games without giving up a goal (plus that bit of the Aussie game), and are now even on goals for/against.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

You have to admit that "Honest Men" is a pretty cool name. Way better than Reggae Boyz. Anyone have an idea where this nickname comes from? Just curious.

Burkina Faso means "Land of Honest People" in the local language.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

You have to admit that "Honest Men" is a pretty cool name. Way better than Reggae Boyz. Anyone have an idea where this nickname comes from? Just curious.

Burkina Faso means "Land of Honest People" in the local language.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Good observations... also nice to see while BF had greater possession, it was not a heavy dominance. I also wonder what the possession stats were like before the Simpson goal. My guess is they were probably a percentage point or two closer.

Also interesting to note was the higher amount of off target shots. Either this means we were shooting from distance or we really have to work on the finishing.

Well, big day for Canadian soccer, but the trouble is this time there is no media coverage of it at all.

Nevertheless, to make it this far is huge and really, there is no reason not to make it to final 4 now as they have confidence and must have gained some cohesion as well and at U-20 level, the experience/professionalism gap is not as big as senior level to give one team unbeatable advantage over another.

So bring on Spain or Paraguay.

I apologize if someone already posted this:

http://www.fifa.com/en/display/article,73412.html

A fine second-half strike from Josh Simpson saw Canada stun previously undefeated Burkina Faso on 8 December 2003 at the Al Nahyan stadium in Abu Dhabi. With a fine combination of scrap and skill, the North Americans became the only men’s side from the Great White North to reach the Last Eight of a FIFA finals, and the only side at UAE 2003 to take a goal off the Honest Men of Burkina Faso. Canada will now play either Paraguay or Spain, who meet on 9 December in Al Ain.

The Canadians came out in bright mood. A fine through ball from Josh Simpson sent battling striker Iain Hume in toward goal. And his quick snapshot had Daouda Diakite looking worried. But in the end it slipped past the far post (5’). Just minutes later, a fine long ball from Jason Ditullio found the young striker again streaking into space. But his first-time volley under pressure went wide of the near post (8’).

Despite the good early Canadian work, Burkina Faso were in no way overawed. And when Amadou Coulibaly raced to save a long ball from the end line, his cross picked out Hamada Ouedraogo on the edge of the goal box. A fine first-time volley with his left foot was only just smothered safely by keeper Alim Karim (24’).

It was again the Burkinabe heading up the pitch to create the final half chance of the half. Turning well and busting into space, Ouedraogo’s forceful shot from 25 metres sailed fractionally over Karim’s crossbar(43’). And just seconds later Coulibaly tried a wicked curling shot from way out on the right. But Karim was well up to the task, pushing the strike wide of the post (44’).

But with very few real chances of any consequence, the fractured first half - dominated primarily by cut-and-thrust midfield scrap - ended scoreless.

Burkina Faso came out of the dressing room stalking a goal. And by sending on striker Aristide Bance, one of only two Burkinabe goal scorers at the finals, in minute 50, coach Mart Nooij made his attacking intentions clear.

Despite the pressure, the rough-and-tumble North Americans were also surging forward admirably. Kevin Harmse really should have done better with his right-footed shot from just outside the box, but Diakite had only to watch it roll weakly past his post (52’).

The North Americans’ grit and endeavour, intermingled with no mean amount of style, finally paid dividends a quarter-hour into the second half. Collecting the ball at the left-hand corner of the area, central midfielder Josh Simpson fired an absolute stunner with his left foot to the top corner to break the nervy deadlock and breach Diakite’s goal for the first time at these finals (0-1, 60’).

The Africans, stunned into response, nearly drew level not long after. Ouedraogo flicked Amara Ouattara’s free kick at goal, but Karim was Johnny-on-the-spot once more to snatch the sneaky attempt (63’).

As the half wound down the Canadians found themselves hanging on to their slimmest of leads for dear life as Burkina Faso poured on the pressure in a desperate bid to haul themselves back into the match. Ousseni Zongo had the best chance deep into stoppage time, but his ferocious volley was bravely kept out by Karim. In the end, it was just enough as the Canucks celebrated wildly after the final whistle rang in warm evening sky.

“This is beyond our wildest dreams,” said Canada coach Dale Mitchell after the match. “We have here a tight-knit group of boys who believe in themselves and they’ve done an amazing thing here. We tried to defend well and play behind the ball, looking to take advantage of our speed on the counter-attack. In the end it paid off. It’s a great day for Canadian football.”

Another huge game from Karim by the sounds of it. Looks like Dale Mitchell made the right choice after all.

Reading the report on the US game, looks like FIFA along with everybody else forgot that we actually beat the USA on their pitch to qualify.

This team is something special.

Guest Jeffery S.

If you may recall, after our terrible performance at the WYC in Argentina, quite a few of our players got a look at and ended up with pro contracts. Think Pozniak was one of those who benefitted. Canizalez as well.

This time, with two more wins over supposedly superior sides, good discipline on the field, I am hoping that more are going to see the light. All the NCAA kids should be thinking about the right time to make a move, plus a few of those we have not taken as seriously, like Chin. Maybe, given the right team, Gordon does have something to contribute to a stronger pro side than the Whitecaps. I certainly like his play.

The other thing is that any scout looks down our roster and sees a lot of players at Impact, is going to start thinking. I wonder if Montreal can pull a few nice little transfers out of this, though I suppose A-League contracts are such that normally players can go cheaply. Same goes for Syracuse, makes it look like a NCAA stronghold when it is pure mediocre.

BTW, Simpson's U of Portland lost to UWashington in the NCAA second round 1-0 last week, and is thus out of the playoffs.

You see guys, I told you Burkina Faso was overdue to give up a goal. :)

The furthest a Canuck men's team has gone in a FIFA tournament, and equals our 1984 Olympic Quarter-Final appearance as well. I just hope the Canadian media does the story its deserved justice, otherwise the usual barrage of complaints to the media will follow. I would also like to know how it is Jamaica got this match live but we couldn't.

I think this is the first time the men have won a post-first round match at a FIFA or Olympic tournament (not counting the 1904 Gold Medal)

Archived