Celtic to play in Toronto

Joe05

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norman Da Costa had a bit on this in his Toronto Star article on Saturday, December 6:

CELTIC HEADED HERE? Scottish powerhouse Celtic will play two exhibition matches against European clubs in Toronto and Boston between July 25 and Aug. 1.

But there's a slight snag. There is no natural grass stadium in Toronto that could host the game. SkyDome has been ruled out because it has artificial turf. Champions World, organizers of the Celtic visit, did not return phone calls yesterday.

Despite the way he makes it sound, I think the only way in which "SkyDome has been ruled out" is by Norm's own faulty reasoning process. In other words, he's just saying that but has nothing to base it on. I think there is more reason to believe that it will be at SkyDome.

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

A North American police force handling the Glasgow derby? No thank you.

Actually I've had many Brits tell me that one reason there are so many fights at pubs and around soccer stadiums in Britain is because the police over there don't do anything! I don't think there would be any problems if Rangers play Celtic in N.America.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Champions World should try and get a French league team to play in Montreal against another marquee Euro side. Something like Marseille v. Juventus. The market is huge in Montreal.

I like the idea, although given Montreal is your target market how about Paris St. Germain (not a bunch of south coast cheaters :D) vs. Panathonikos (sp.) in order to bring out the Greek supporters.

If PSG touches down on this continent, I'm so there. :D

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

I like the idea, although given Montreal is your target market how about Paris St. Germain (not a bunch of south coast cheaters :D) vs. Panathonikos (sp.) in order to bring out the Greek supporters.

How about having Celtic against PSG. Could you imagine..........

wait

We might have to get called up for that.

Scrap that idea.:D

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

I had suggested a French teams v. an Italian team, so as to bring out the Italian population as well. But I don't know: is the Greek population bigger than the Italian population in Montreal?

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

I am SOOOOOO there. Road trip from Ottawa, anyone? (I am wincing in anticipation of Krammerhead's assault ;))

I'm in. This sounds like a blast. Missed out seeing a game in England last year. Can't miss it in my backyard.

Alex

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

[:0]

A North American police force handling the Glasgow derby? No thank you.

Why not? The national cricket teams of India and Pakistan used to come to Toronto annually to play each other in the Sahara Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

Why not? The national cricket teams of India and Pakistan used to come to Toronto annually to play each other in the Sahara Cup.

DAMN. And I missed it? Speaking of which, have any of those cricket matches ended yet? Are the results in?

Information from Soccercentral on Saturday, December 13, confirmed by organizers Champions World:

[*]tour dates adjusted slightly: July 21 (was 25) to August 1

[*]Celtic will use Boston as a home base during the tour

[*]first match to be played at Gillette Stadium

[*]second match to be played at SkyDome, where grass will be temporarily installed

[*]second match will be towards the end of the given dates ((this would agree with the Blue Jays homes dates I posted))

Archived