A sad history of Canadian stadia

Daniel

The only Canada game ever played at Olympic Stadium in Montréal (which still holds the record for biggest ever soccer crowd in Canada - 72,000+ for the Olympic final) was a 2-1 defeat to the USSR at the 1976 Olympics. 24,591 were on hand.

To put things in perspective. I know we see our stadium history as terrible. A couple of comments from my recent trip to Brazil.

First off, Morumbi stadium (the largest private stadium in the world) is awful. It would be torn down in either Canada or the USA. Either that or it would need a multi million dollar renovation. When I was there, I felt like I was sitting in an inflated Varsity Stadium (TO).

The best story is that Corinthians (the top club in Sao Paulo) decided they needed a new stadium. They planned to make it one of the biggest stadiums in Brazil. They started to build about 20 years ago. You can see it from the express way going to the airport. It is still a long way from complete... the People a very skeptical about it ever being finished.

The moral of the story is focus on what you can acheive. We need to think smaller and doable in Canada

Kinda thought Exhibition Stadium was torn down to force use of the Great White Elephant, Skydome by anybody and everybody.

Only ever know Winnipeg Stadium (more or less a dump) and Alexander Park. Alexander Park was a DANGEROUS dump towards it's dying days but I remember the bleachers overflowing and the touchlines crouded with spectators on more than one occasion. Maybe things just seem different when you're small.

Alexander Park was lost to commercial development and replaced with WSC. Now WSC is still threatened by development. Went from the City, to the sticks, and now who knows where next? The moon or worse, Maple Groove.

Archived