please read (Re: new league)

cdr9999

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's wrong with using the name "American"? Canada is just as much a part of "America" as the US of A. "America" is all of North and South America, despite Yanks thinking they have a monopoly on the term.

Only problem with the term "American" is that nobody from South America is represented, so it's just as "American" as the CPSL is truly "Canadian".

If it will only be a regional league, it should be named as such.

You claim to want to start up a pro league. What is your idea of pro? How much would the average player earn? When I think of a pro player, I think of someone who can play the sport and get paid enough to be able to pay the bills and live without taking on 3 part-time jobs. The word pro is thrown around so easily, and I believe it is used to give the leagues more credibility (see: CPSL). Let's be honest, and treat this as a high amateur/semi-pro endeavour, where the top players are making a decent wage(still not enough to live on), and the rest of the players are glad to get free boots, meal money, and a buffet ticket at the Holiday Inn Express.

quote:

What's wrong with using the name "American"? Canada is just as much a part of "America" as the US of A. "America" is all of North and South America, despite Yanks thinking they have a monopoly on the term.

Only problem with the term "American" is that nobody from South America is represented, so it's just as "American" as the CPSL is truly "Canadian".

If it will only be a regional league, it should be named as such.

I'll pass on that type of mentality because obviously it doesn't work. When you ask an outsider, lets say someone living in the UAE what is America to them, it's obviously the USA. North and South America are reffered to as The Americas, not just America.

well there are a lot of questions....here we go..first off we are shooting to have this league up and running for 2004 season-for this to happen we have to have a minimum of 8 teams (USSF RULE) also a rule that only 25% or your teams can be out of country-so since the league is based in the usa we can only have 2 of the 8 teams be Canadian based. If you have read this thread you will know that we have one team already from Canada (Niagara Falls)-so we are looking for 1 more for 2004--deadline is January 15th.. As far as the name is concerned -Americas is meant to mean North and South America which last time I checked Canada is part of.

As ar as my background- I am a former college, and pro player who is now involved in ownership a three succussful businesses in the Buffalo, NY area. I now have the means and time to start a league involvind Canada and the USA that is going to be grass roots, dedicated to expansion, growth league. We will be registered by the USSF as a D 3 league to begin with. This league will do it right--if for some reasons we do not have 8 teams for 2004 I guarantee 8 or more for the 2005 season for a quality start.

I have seen first hand the problems of The usl D 3 teams and I definetly learned about the way the CPSL is run is pathetic to say the least. We will do it right with venues right for this type league and salaries (min-$3,000 to max $12,000 american funds) for a total of 5 month season. Any other questions?

you mentioned earlier that you will have a salary cap. how will that work with the canadian dollar being just 75 cents on an american dollar? will the american salary cap be kept down so it's equal for the canadian clubs? meaning, let's say top salary total is 100,000 canadian, but for the americans the top would be 75,000 canadian? does that make sense?

There is a lighted soccer park next to where they used to play minor league baseball in Niagara Falls-

As I stated there can only be 2 Canadian Clubs of the first 8 clubs in the the League---this is a USSF rule--so were are looking for a team to join the Niagara Falls team as we are not starting the league until we get the minimum of 8 teams.

The legue salary cap is easy to figur out--it is $100,000 in American Funds and $125,000 Canadian--I doubt many Teams will worry about going OVER the cap. Any thing else?

Archived