Where's De Guzman?

fza

quote:Originally posted by fza

What happened to Julian De Guzman? Why didn`t he play for Canada`s U-23 against El Salvador? Injured? Problems with Hannover 96?

Fill me in!!

From what I understand, it's part of an agreement with Hannover

who will eventually let him take part in a number of games. I also

don't think he wants to lose his first-team position. Canada doesn't

want that to happen and bring up the club vs. country issues.

That may be an upcoming subject with Julian's brother who plays in

Holland. (PSV, I think).

BTW, your tape is being sent out today. Cheers, Jake

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Just to clarify, Julian played in the first leg in El Salvador, but along with Mike Klukowski, went back to Europe to join his club side before the second leg.

The way the CSA deals with Julian and his club committments may go along way to getting his younger brother to play for Canada in the future.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Just to clarify, Julian played in the first leg in El Salvador, but along with Mike Klukowski, went back to Europe to join his club side before the second leg.

The way the CSA deals with Julian and his club committments may go along way to getting his younger brother to play for Canada in the future.

quote:Originally posted by fza

Do you follow South American soccer? Have you heard of Colo-Colo? or Inter de Portoalegre?

I watch a bit of Argentine soccer on Fox Sportsworld Canada,

but I know of Colo-colo on a few of their features on SA soccer ...

BTW, Canada Post says you should get the tape in about 10 days.

The tape will have Can-Finland as requested, but I've included

Can- Brazil friendly in 1994, as well as Canada-Mexico in Gold Cup 2000, with Richard Hastings' Golden Goal. It was a better match than

Canada-Colombia final. [8D]

P.S. Wish Chile has better luck in SA Qualifiers ...

:(

quote:Originally posted by redhat

P.S. Wish Chile has better luck in SA Qualifiers ...

:(

That`s good that you`ve heard of Colo-Colo, they`re my favourite team, they`re considered as the "people`s" team. They won Chile`s only international title, including the national team, which was the Copa Libertadores in ´91. Colo-Colo is definitely the biggest team in Chile (23 league titles , could be 24 in December!!). Once I get your address I`ll send you some nice Colo-Colo souvenirs. If you play soccer then they`ll be just perfect!!

I`m pretty sure Chile`s national team will be just fine as long as the coach calls up a lot of players that haven`t been considered yet. I went to the game last Tuesday against Paraguay, more than 60,000 people, it was crazy!! I had a better time during the 3 hour wait before the game to be honest!!!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

FZA, have you been following the exploits of Carmelo Rago, the 17 year old Canadian playing in Chile? I think the team is called Puerto Montt or something like that.

I read a topic that had a huge list of Canadians playing abroad and I found out that there`s a canadian playing for Puerto Montt. This team plays way down south, where it rains a lot. You can imagine all the muddy games that have been played there, but not anymore because they brought this professional turf approved by FIFA from Canada, maybe Carmello made the connections. But I looked him up on the roster but I couldn´t find him.

Now that I know that he`s only 17, he probably just trains for Puerto Montt waiting for a chance with the first team. Or the other situation could be that he was loaned to a team in another division. I`m going to try and find out where he is. Unfortunately Puerto Montt were eliminated by Audax Italiano in a playoff last week.

Once I find out where he is I`ll post a new topic. There`s another Canadian playing in Chile`s 1st division. His name is Jaime Lopresti, he`s a defensive back and plays for Union Española. I`m 80% sure he`s a Canadian citizen, because he was born in Chile but probably lived quite a while in Canada. I heard it on the radio and from friends. I`ll check that out too.

Cheers

Archived