Canadians abroad: November 21-27, 2003

DJT

Yeah Ante Razov missed the PK and had an absolute nightmare out there. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. If Onstad hadn't been beaten near-post he was probably MOTM. Actually with two goals, the golden boy was likely to be MOTM no matter what.

Yeah MLS gives it to the GM, which I've never understood. Then the GM presents it to the captain. Why not cut out the middle man, the GM never hoists it or anything.

That's the worst game I've ever seen Thornton play. I haven't seen much of Chicago this year, but everyone was praising Jesse Marsch for his play this year and all I could think was 'Marsch used to really suck." I stand by my old opinion. I can't believe Yallop was able to fashion a decent backline with Roner, Waibel and Dayak. Agoos is still pretty decent and Robinson had a breakthrough year, but man those other three are pertty week, though Dayak played well today.

cheers,

matthew

Pat's play this year confuses the hell out of me. Worse goal ever seen in MLS. Holger's You can use your hands, Pat. Then panic in San Jose whenever Gramps gets called away for national team dutys. Quit the roller coaster ride.

Seems determined to give WCQ another go. Maybe Lars will just have to wait his turn. Pat's not flashy, or an acrobat, but most of this year he's sound, consistant, and not prone to panic.

P.S. If I hear one more garbage story about Zak Thornton's qualities...Please, please, please, let the Yanks use him during WCQ. Sadly, I'm pretty sure he's about, um, 6th on the depth chart.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Why, in American pro team sports championships, is the winning trophy first given to the team owner? Agoos got the trophy from the owner, right?

I guess if I was footing the bills, I would want the trophy first, too. I don't know . . .

not all pro sports.....in the NHL, the captin gets it first. dunno bout basket ball or baseball tho (dont care enough) and in football the owener gets it tho

Okay guys, this is the kind of discussion I wanted to avoid in this thread. This is supposed to be a news thread. The MLS Cup final obviously deserved a thread of its own (actually there is one in the General Discussion section, but it would have fit well enough in this section). If I get some time I'll move these posts out of here.

Wednesday night In the NCAA division 1 tournament Coastal Carolina upset huge favorite North Carolina 3-0 with Victoria's Jordie Hughes once again scoring. He hit the back of the net in the 82nd minute to seal the win. There must be something there because he netted 18 regular season goals and has scored in each playoff game. He's obviously got a nose for the net. Still only a sophomore, too.

http://www.ncaasports.com/soccer/mens/results/2822

Add further to this that Kentucky lost 2-1 in overtime to Indiana. Campbell River BC's Riley O'Neill scored the Wildcats goal and Delta BC's Nathan Li started for UK as well.

Gavin Hobbs of Vancouver was not on the team list as Univ. of Washington beat the Josh Simpsonless Portland Pilots 1-0.

Gianni Cimini of Toronto played the first 66 minutes in Old Dominion's 2-1 loss to No. 2 ranked Maryland.

Toronto's Charles Darkwah came on as a substitute in Binghampton's 1-0 loss to St.Louis University.

Originally posted by Ed on the other forum - Nov 26, 2003, 9:01 PM</u>

Lots of action for Canucks in Deutschland last weekend as the season approaches the Christmas break.

Paul Stalteri and Werder Bremen leap frogged Bayer Leverkusen into 2nd place in the Bundesliga 1. Ailton had the hat trick as Werder Bremen cruised to a 3-1 home victory over VfL Bochum on Saturday, with Stalteri going his customary 90 minutes at left back.

Julian de Guzman returned to action after serving his one game suspension for accumulation of yellow cards as his team Hannover 96 visited Stuttgart. VfB Stuttgart remained unbeaten in the Bundesliga 1 as they broke the game open in the second half and went on to win 3-1. Julian de Guzman was the top rated field player for Hannover and remains in the top 20 ranking for midfielders in the Bundesliga. Their schedule is looking better down the stretch with two losses to Bremen and Stuttgart behind them. They face some teams they can take points off in the next few weeks, including promoted Frankfurt and Freiburg.

In the Bundesliga 2, Tam Nsaliwa and Jahn Regensburg had the amateur coach at the helm on the weekend as trainer Ingo Peter resigned last week. Tam played ninety minutes as Regensburg had a vital 3-0 win over last place LR Ahlen with 3 second half goals to put them 3 pts up from relegation territory.

No sign as Maycoll Canizales in the Regional League North on the weekend; same with Victor Oppong in the Regional League south, but Saarbrucken played last Friday and Victor would only have arrived back in Germany that day.

Victor did play Saturday, subbed out at the 75th minutes in a 2-2 draw with SV Weingarten in the Oberliga SouthWest.

In the Junioren Bundesliga, Jeremy Shepherd came on in the 70th minute in a 2-0 loss to FC Carl Zeiss Jena on Saturday in the North/Northeast division.

Dylan Hughes played the first half as a striker for 1.FC Kaiserslautern's U19s as they lost 3-1 to SC Freiburg on Sunday in the South/Southwest division.

Archived