My Ireland play-by-play based on csa site

marcl_19

i think we played well, and were unlucky not to score. but our defence is ridiculous right now. we need tam nsaliwa! i know we need more than that. marco reda?

hirschfeld must go somewhere in europe or the first division in england and get consistent action. i've never seen stama play, but he plays first team ball every saturday, so maybe he's the way to go? hirsch is quality and is our number 1, but needs to at least get a loan deal or something cuz for some reason spurs feel that friedel is superior - no idea why! (no sarcasm)

our defence sits too far back. whether or not that is hirsch' fault remains to be seen.

i feel our attack is fine. stalteri isn't used properly, and we'd have more to offer if we had all our u23's and u20's. but only nsaliwa (have i forgotten anyone?) will add to the defence from that group.

that said, miller has shown no reasons why he should be the manager. just look at his credentials. abbotsford stink - i've seen them play in person, i live 20 minutes away!, and the nats did poorly. send miller to be an assistant with our youth nats first. at least!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know many will berate our recent results but I still believe that playing top opposition is better preparation than beating up on weak Carribean sides.

Despite weakened line-ups, it appears that there were positive moments in all three recent games. Once we get our U-23 and two U-20 guys back, we should have a deeper bench for those long second halves.

regards our offside goal.....De Vos was in an offside position when Pesch let the header go. If the ball had gone straight in, the goal would have counted. But when it rebounded out to De Vos, he was called offside. It was the correct call, as De Vos was ruled as having taken advantage of the offside position to get the rebound.

According to Livescore it's full-time.

I want to make a little comment about our keepers:

Many people on this board bashed Pat Onstad in the friendlies against Germany and Finland. Well here Lars has let in 8 goals in two games! Not world class keeping in my book. Isn't it time we give someone else a chance to try out? How many games is Kenny S. supposed to come to and sit on the bench? Aren't these friendlies a chance to try out new people? How about Greg Sutton getting a try? Or Theo Zagar?

Allright, my rant is over. I agree with a previous post: Get us a weker team to play against: We need a win.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Well acording to you Alberto Theo shouldnt be in either, Hell.. he let 6 goals in against rochester. :)

That's pretty harsh considering he's proven he IS a world class keeper and goals have only been streaming in since Miller has been in charge. The defence is to blame, not Lars.

re: Kenny

I'm guessing that it is pretty obvious in training that Kenny is either a step down from Lars or still not comfortable enough with our players to be thrown to the wolves against such top teams.

If Onstad retires this winter, we will see big changes, as Lars is prone to occasional injuries.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

According to Livescore it's full-time.

I want to make a little comment about our keepers:

Many people on this board bashed Pat Onstad in the friendlies against Germany and Finland. Well here Lars has let in 8 goals in two games! Not world class keeping in my book. Isn't it time we give someone else a chance to try out? How many games is Kenny S. supposed to come to and sit on the bench? Aren't these friendlies a chance to try out new people? How about Greg Sutton getting a try? Or Theo Zagar?

Allright, my rant is over. I agree with a previous post: Get us a weker team to play against: We need a win.

Totally agree with you, that's what I have been saying for a long time. We need to give playing time to Kenny and Sutton to see what they are capable of. Hirsh is an average Concacaf keeper at best and I feel he's capable of improving if he get into a team where he starts some games. What we need for the WCQ is great goalkeeping because our defense looks suspect and maybe criminal would be more appropriate.

I'm sorry to repeat that but I feel that Hastings is our worst defender.

I was impressed by some of our attacking buildup with Bent, Radz and Pesch. We could have done more attacking but I feel we are heading in the right direction offesively.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

That's pretty harsh considering he's proven he IS a world class keeper and goals have only been streaming in since Miller has been in charge. The defence is to blame, not Lars.

Who's organizing the defense? Lars. I'm not saying that Lars isn't good but I think that calling him a world class keeper is exagereted. There's no #3 GK in the Premiership who are WC keeper, not even all the goalie in the Premiership are WC keeper. He need's playing time, that's all, but until then I'm pessimist with our Gking situation, I rather have Onstad in net.

I think that our definitions of world class must differ. I don't mean to knock Lars as I think that Lars has played well for Canada, but at this stage his career pales beside the career of Craig Forrest, who has been Canada's only truly world class keeper.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Wow I think some of us saw a different match than I did. Post 2002 WCQ when was defence ever a strong suit for Canada under Osieck?

Right now the personnel we're using in the back is superior to what Osieck was using. It isn't there yet, but we need to settle on a back four and start to get them playing together. It wouldn't be my first choice, but Stalteri-DeVos-McKenna-Jazic is preferential to Pozniak-Fenwick-DeVos-Hastings in my book.

I'm still not sold on Stalteri in the back, but he and Bent combined very well, esp in the first half. The first goal was part lack of comunication, part bad challenge from Stalteri. We had four back, two Irish fwds timing their runs and us trying to hold the line. Someone needed to push up and force Duff to a side and if getting beat needed to foul him, instead we wait until he's almost at the box, DeVos pushes him left and he nutmegs Stalteri and slots it past Hirschfeld who I thought should have done better.

A lot of the Irish danger came down their left, but that has more to with Duff than Stalteri. Jazic was inconsistent (he completely left Holland and gave him a free header, but saved a goal late with a nice challenge). I thought he was preferable to Hastings, but maybe we can still do better.

Bent was maddeningly inconsistent. I didn't think Pesch had quite the game the Irish site did, I thought Radz was more dangerous. Imhof didn't add much, but he's usually pretty subtle. I'd give Stalteri MOTM. The second goal was very, very close to not going over. We never got a definitive angle, but it was really close.

The third goal came when DeVos was out. McKenna fell down on the throw leaving Keane all alone to turn Rogers (who had some decent moments ) easily and slot it in.

Let's say we keep this back line. If we do, they're going to get stronger with some more experience together and if Stalteri stays there with his club, his defending will improve greatly.

That would give us a possible line up of:

Stalteri--DeVos--McKenna--Jazic

-----Bent------Aguiar------Brennan

---------------DeGuzman

Watch Bent and Stalteri swap roles on the right in the first half and imagine Brennan and Jazic getting on the same page and DeGuzman, DeRo and Radz all holding the ball up and making darting runs and we might be on to something. That still leaves Imhof, Bircham, Nsaliwa and Nash available when injuries strike or whatever.

The score was harsh for us and I didn't think we played that badly. The Irish are a good team and they're two world class players were the difference. That and a great save by Given. We're making progress. We're using better players than we were and though the results aren't there yet, hopefull a few friendlies and the first round of qualifying will let us build.

cheers,

matthew

I did not watch this game, wish I could have however, it seems like most people here are being very tough on the Canadians. Do we expect too much from them??

I mean this team barely plays together, and the time it does have together is minimal. At the same time losing 3-0 against Ireland, in Ireland is pretty much what I'd expect.

Ireland is placed 15th compared to our Candians who are 83rd. Its too bad they weren't able to get a goal, however Ireland is obviously the superior side.

First, Lars was not at fault on any of the goals today. The difference was Damien Duff. Stalteri did very well at right back and got forward into the action better than any Canadian back I can recall playing at least since the days of the Duze. Duff beat him a couple of times...but who hasn't he beaten a couple of times? He beats brillaint players in the EPL on a regular basis. We won't be seeing anyone like him in CONCACAF. Tam is better suited to play the likes of Duff because he has quicker feet, but Diesel did very well. I doubt Imhoff or Bent would have handled Duff as well. The whole right side played pretty well both ways I thought, goals not withstanding.

As for those on Bircham's case, I thought he played quite well. Lost the ball a few times for sure but was digging and fighting a playing a better two way defensive mid than we've seen for a while.

Hastings was a waste. Jazic did not stand out, but was not a liability either. Ireland did not launch a lot through the left side however. Get Brennan back and we improve there considerably. Hasting, alas, is one of the top 18 or so, but he should not be starting under normal circumstances.

The 3rd goal was an abomination. The first two, I can live with, a long throw into the box and a turn and fire is just sloppy. Mental error by McKenna is all I can think. Duff with a head of steam (1st goal) is hard to handle, and the midfield was caught forward on the attack. DeVos should have stepped up about 5-8 yards sooner, but in fairness the man has been sitting for 3 months and 5-8 yards equates to less than a second in terms of decision making.

We played pretty well in terms of possession and keeping the ball on the carpet. Anyone who doubts that Jason DeVos can play a possession style should rethink the opinion. We also generated a hatful of decent scoring chances. Really, I think 3-0 flatters the Irish somewhat. Ireland were a bit better, but the difference was not 3 goals IMO. Had Given not made a brilliant save on Pesch, I think we might even have seen a draw. Correct call on the offside though.

Still want to see Reda. And Menezes back as well. DeVos and McKenna are decent enough, but unless Reda is close to those two and Menezes is still Menezes, we are deep trouble if one or both of DeVos and McKenna are unavailable.

General match thoughts:

That ticker somebody quoted that mentioned the scoreline flattering Ireland is spot on. Flatters considerably, I'd say, with the Irish lucky to get the last two goals & Canada unlucky not to score a couple of their own. For those that didn't see the match, we're still not sure that the second goal actually crossed the line entirely - if it did so, barely - and the third was a direct result of McKenna slipping & falling on his ass in a way that would probably never have happened in a meaningful match. You can tell that Holger is gone from the relaxed & jovial expression you can see on the pitch with the Canadian team - but almost too relaxed I'd say, though that might also be a result of playing for an interim manager (particularly one who wants to keep the team in a jovial mood).

Take out Hastings & put in one of De Guzman, Brennan, Nsaliwa, De Rosario, Hutchinson or Canizalez (just to name a few) and I can see us coming away with the win. I'm not sure how happy the Irish would be with their performance, but I highly doubt that the few players Ireland was missing were missed as much as the missing Canadian players were. As it is, I hate the final scoreline, but am encouraged with the play of 10 of the 11 starters. Too bad we could not see more of Bernier.

The ticker that said that Pesch whiffed on the one ball is harsh - he had to stretch for that ball & ended up setting up Hastings perfectly for an easy goal - which of course Hastings promptly shanked in the sort of embarrassing fashion that we haven't seen since the days of Ken Garroway. Anybody notice how the Irish decided not to bother covering Hastings in the 2nd half? They knew he wasn't a threat, by that point. I applaud Richard for always showing up for Canada, but frankly with him on the field it was almost like playing with 10 men. We didn't have any attacks on the left side of the field until that Radzinski lob late in the match (very unluckly not to score) which was set up by Martin Nash. That's not a coicidence.

The right side of the midfield was great though, lot of nice teamwork there, and playing Pesch in behind Radz is a good move - they worked together a lot better that way than side by side.

I'm sold on Jazic at left back. Okay, he's not the second coming of Paolo Maldini but is a lot better than Hastings. He didn't hurt us at all. And Stalteri was largely brilliant at right back, though again a little too nonchalant at the back at times, along with much of the back four in that regard.

Disappointed that Miller did not let Kenny get even a few minutes in goal. Couldn't blame Lars for any of the goals & he was unlucky on that second one.

Guest Georgio

"80 mins: Radzinski is picked out but he fires well over. The striker has truly struggled tonight and would be held up as a figure of ridicule ill-suited to international football were he not known for his excellent Everton performances."

Maybe Radz was hung over. He was in Ireland afterall.

quote:Originally posted by Georgio

"80 mins: Radzinski is picked out but he fires well over. The striker has truly struggled tonight and would be held up as a figure of ridicule ill-suited to international football were he not known for his excellent Everton performances."

I get the strong impression that the person who writes the ticker reports for that site really hates Everton or something.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I get the strong impression that the person who writes the ticker reports for that site really hates Everton or something.

I don't want to be on his case becasue he played pretty well, but he did have 3 very good chances to score (strike, header and a lob) and didn't bury any of them. You need your go to guy to put some of those away. But the description is indeed harsh.

Matthew - excellent summation of the Duff goal, agree entirely. And yes, Imhof is subtle, or as Italians might say, the quiet one. A word to the Imhof bashers - they used to call Guytano Scirea "the quiet one" and they didn't mean that as an insult either. Imhof does a lot of good working marking his man & closing people down & as such Dobson rarely calls his name. He isn't asked to play, nor is the type of player, the kind of role where the player demands the ball all the time - right now Bircham is taking that role. Not spectacular out there today, but useful & doesn't really hurt you, IMO.

Gordon - good point about Stalteri getting forward, spot on there as well. And yes, Duff causes everyone trouble, not just Stalteri, & our Paul got the better of him on many occasions as well.

Guest Jeffery S.

Well first to those who did not watch, you maybe should. Our performance was in fact acceptable.

After the home side pushed in the first minutes we settled down to a good half, with all our attacks going up the right side with Stalteri pushing forward and trading off with Bent, both of whom did well. Pesch had a nice first half, setting up Radz twice, the first time on a little pass Tomasz should have done more on. The Irish goal was on a counter, as we were actually pressing and forcing them back, and it was a good one, the only real way to have stopped it would have been to foul Duff at the top of the box, who did damn well to hit it home.

Second half we saw what we have seen a lot lately, other side's subs giving them fresh legs and we not able to maintain the pace. Our balls were longer, and to his credit Radz was fit the whole match running after them. The second goal was unlucky, but given Kean's height how did he get to that. The third an error off a v. long throw that McKenna slipped on, and Keane controlled behind him and finished well.

My player analysis:

First, the whole starting squad was deserving to be there, except perhaps Hastings, who would be the only one I'd put in doubt today.

Lars: would have liked for him to come up with a big save on at least one of the goals. Other than that, he did okay. A pleasure to see him actually play the ball out short on throws a few times, not just a long kick (his kicking is quite competent, and his footwork has improved). That said we probably should have looked at Kenny for at least a half today.

McKenna: I think he did well, one error on a poor control which he gave up to an attacker in a dangerous spot. And the third goal. He as de Vos need to learn to head backwards to the keeper upon occasion, sometimes we knocked it forwards and they came right back with it.

de Vos: At least he is healthy again, and game fit. Still don't like how poorly he passes out of the back, but as is we can't expect great ball handling from the backs.

Jazic: In the end he looks like a journeyman. I suspect he plays reg for Rapid because he is reliable. A bit short, on two dangerous headers (one by Holland I think?) he missed his mark and needed to get better position. Better outside than in. Not sure he is a big addition, but give him time.

Stalteri: Again one of our most reliable players, went confidently forwards, fine ball control, good choice of passing. A leader on the field as well. As with many here I think he'd be more useful in the middle, as long as we could ensure a right back in that spot. Nsaliwa? Even Imhof.

Midfield was a bit grey with Hastings and Imhof, who did not shine.

Imhof: Grey, but I don't think he had a bad day. Fills a spot, does it acceptably, but adds little to the team. Here is where Aguiar might do more for us.

Hastings: Our worst starter. Does not add much to our game. One shot he had after Radz missed another cross from Birch was poorly taken. Not exactly a player with a great sense of what to do on the field.

Bent: A fine game. His passing was better than I have seen, and his tactical movements with Stalteri quite sensible. He has improved, and he's still young enough. 2nd half he died down a bit.

Bircham: Nice game, he has real spark and sure is fun to watch. Enjoys himself, and is confident. Tackled v. well and was our de facto playmaker out there. Knew how to calm things down and play it back, as well as go forward in the right moment. Anyone see how he was belting out the national anthem? Good on you boy.

Peschisolido: Good game too. Drew defenders to himself, opened up holes. And set up Radz twice on v. precise passes. One a cute short chip that Tomasz need two inches more to get to well. Hurt early 2nd half and fizzled, should have changed him right there and not force him to play (was double kicked high on the leg as he went up for a midfield header, probably a foul and even a card, neither given).

Radzinski: Had five chances on goal. A Pesch pass in the middle of the box, all he needed was a more effective left foot on it, as it was goal material. That Pesch chip, which he headed but over the bar. Then the ball Birch robbed on the right corner and put in beautifully, which he plain missed at the spot. 2nd half a ball far post that he had time to control but he put sky high. And then, as their sub keeper came out badly, he tried a long lob under pressure from him that went a bit over the bar, could have been goal. Just one of these and we would have had a match on our hands.

Subs:

If Miller had made these about 15 minutes earlier they might have actually been able to get into the game, as is they had too little time to show anything.

Bernier was put in for Pesch, played forward, then went back into midfield after Nash came in. Nothing to say. Even less could be made for Nash and Fenwick, who had no time to make a mark.

Miller: I would have preferrred either Jazic or Stalteri or both in the midfield, but surely having them on the back gave us decent coverage up the sides. Lacked a bit of talent in the midfield (de Guzman and Aguiar for Hastings and Imhof and we'd have a nice middle line). Subs all late, and no tactical movements of note with them, so I think he was coasting too much there. Didn't he really want a result? But I would not say he was terrible, just in the line of Holger. And his squad was too damn thin to make a mark late.

Just to add: I celebrated the de Vos goal but on the replay he was clearly in offside position when the shot came and took advantage of this when he knocked it in. C'est la vie.

Overall some positive signs. Jazic defended well and passed well, even a blind man could see Hastings was no help. Ok Holland slipped him but thats the game. We must find a left midfield player???

Bent did well wide right but is he ideal for that position.

Pesh was busy all game and useful.

Imof steady.

I don't know about Stalteri at Right back I thought he was poor defensively and I am not just talking about Duff. Also he took many risk and gave the ball away.

Bircham looked not fit at all and I for one did not appreciate his game

Bernier looked composed when he came on and that is hard to do in a game like this.

Hastings must have the best agent in football because I don't see him as a professional player

With DeRosario. Onstad, DeGuzman, Tam, Hume, Pozniak we may just have some depth after all

Warning Central Defenders need. thin in tha area.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

de Vos: At least he is healthy again, and game fit. Still don't like how poorly he passes out of the back, but as is we can't expect great ball handling from the backs.

In full agreement with all you've said but the part about how poorly DeVos passed today. I thought he did very well overall. A couple of bad passes, but then Stalteri did as well. He is not particulalry adept at dribbling out of trouble or to a better angle if he does not have a clear passing lane. But I can only remember a couple of giveaways, which is the same number I can recall of Stalteri.

Archived