AFC Wimbledon vs Wimbledon FC

argh1

Okay.........6 months 'till your favourite A-League team takes the field.Warming up to the Impact, probably the Nash factor.Favourite Canadian player playing in Canada.(don't live in an A-League city)

AFC are top of the Combined Counties League and FC are bottom of Division 1.So AFC may be promoted to Ryman League,and FC may be relagated to Div 2 they'll only be 2 or3 divisions between them. Do Combined Counties go direct to Premier or Div1 Ryman league, thought I heard premier???

How long do you figure it'll be before AFC overtakes FC in the pyramid? Oh yeah.....how does '04 restucturing of the pyramid affect this? To many questions I KNOW!

Okay I may be the only one who cares, but I find it interesting;)

I believe that if AFC Wimbledon win the Combined Counties League this season then they will go into the the Ryman Division 2.

I believe they did almost get promoted on a technicality last season because one of the teams above them didnt have a ground that was good enough for the Ryman league. Basically most teams in the Combined Counties have a clubhouse and a rope around the pitch.

As for the re-structuring - i havent got a clue.

Having the highest sponsorship of any non-league team of £100,000 works wonders for them too.

As does having MC Harvey who is a well known UK garage / rap artist play for them which brings them extra publicity.

Their opposition in that league must get pretty intimidated playing infront of 3,000 AFC fans when they've been used to playing in front of between 50 and 150

quote:Originally posted by batch

I believe that if AFC Wimbledon win the Combined Counties League this season then they will go into the the Ryman Division 2.

I believe they did almost get promoted on a technicality last season because one of the teams above them didnt have a ground that was good enough for the Ryman league. Basically most teams in the Combined Counties have a clubhouse and a rope around the pitch.

As for the re-structuring - i havent got a clue.

Oh...... I thought AFC would go direct to Ryman Premier , that's why promotion was SO important this year before re-structuring.

Anyone heard anymore on FC administration woes?

• 1 month later...

AFC Wimbledon will be promoted to the Ryman 1 if we if win the league, at least, what is currently Ryman 1. If there's a restructure they'd be 4 leagues of NW, NE, SW, SE, and AFCW would then go into SW or SE instead. With the Conference adding a Conference north and south between itself and the ryman prem, doc martens prem, etc, it would mean AFCW effectively being at the same level next year. Best place that describes it is http://www.tonykempster.co.uk

Either way I think it will be 4 years before we're in Conference South, which by then I can imagine Franchise being division 3 - just two leagues ahead.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by SCF08

AFC Wimbledon lost on pens after a 1-1 draw.

Sucks, since they did get an easy draw and probably would've reached the first-round proper had they won that PK shootout.

But last weekend, they got an impressive win in the 2nd qualifying round of the FA Trophy, easily beating arguably the best team below the Blue Square league.

03 Nov 2007 AFC Wimbledon 4 - 0 Chelmsford City FC

They got an easy draw for the next round:

24 Nov 2007 15:00 AFC Wimbledon v Northwood FC

• 5 months later...
quote:Originally posted by Russ

AFC Wimbledon will be promoted to the Ryman 1 if we if win the league, at least, what is currently Ryman 1. If there's a restructure they'd be 4 leagues of NW, NE, SW, SE, and AFCW would then go into SW or SE instead. With the Conference adding a Conference north and south between itself and the ryman prem, doc martens prem, etc, it would mean AFCW effectively being at the same level next year. Best place that describes it is http://www.tonykempster.co.uk

Either way I think it will be 4 years before we're in Conference South, which by then I can imagine Franchise being division 3 - just two leagues ahead.

Pretty good prediction, but not quite.

On the same day (5 April 2008) that MK Dons clinch automatic promotion to League One, AFC Wimbledon clinch a promotion playoff-spot. AFC will be fighting to gain promotion to the Conference South division and remain 3 divisions below the Franchise.

• 3 weeks later...

RYMAN LEAGUE - PLAY-OFF FINALS

Premier Division - Play-off Final 3rd May 2008

Staines Town vs. AFC Wimbledon

Play off Semi Final Results

Sat 26/04/08 Hornchurch v Wimbledown 1-1

Tue 29/04/08 Wimbledown v AFC Hornchurch 3-1

quote:Originally posted by N-A

RYMAN LEAGUE - PLAY-OFF FINALS

Premier Division - Play-off Final 3rd May 2008

Staines Town vs. AFC Wimbledon

Play off Semi Final Results

Sat 26/04/08 Hornchurch v Wimbledown 1-1

Tue 29/04/08 Wimbledown v AFC Hornchurch 3-1

Actually, the semi-finals are only one-leg, unlike in the higher-up divisions. It's just a coincidence that Wimbledon played Hornchurch on their previous match, which was the last match of the regular league season.

And a dramatic win it was! AFC Wimbledon were losing for most of the match, until this happened (from the Wimbledon website - http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/-/reports/ryman-league-premier-division-playoff/12115/staines-town):

"Terry Brown’s last role of the dice saw Hatton enter for Quinn and suddenly a bit of fortune went Wimbledon’s way as Staines conceded a needless corner. On 82 minutes, Courtnage seemed to claim the resulting delivery but then he fell to the floor under a challenge. He dropped the ball and McDonnell was first to it, hitting a low cross to the near post where Cumbers threw himself at it and headed the ball home via a Staines defender. Staines players looked for a flag but, to their horror, none was raised. AFC Wimbledon were back in the game thanks to a controversial, but certainly deserved equaliser. Meanwhile, Courtnage was very fortunate to escape a sending off after having to be restrainted from abusing the referee. If there was any doubt about the Wimbledon goal, there was a sort of rough justice given the earlier decisions that had gone against the Dons.

Wimbledon pressed with a new found energy and, when a free kick was won just outside the area, De Bolla grabbed the ball off his team mates. The pint-sized forward stepped up and curled a beautifully struck ball into the bottom corner of the goal - cue hysteria, Wheatsheaf Park rocked, players ran towards the dugout swamping Terry Brown. From nowhere and seemingly against all odds Wimbledon could sense promotion. After some courageous defending, the controversial referee finally brought the game to an end. Wimbledon had done it - third time lucky.

Supporters ran on to the pitch in elation to congratulate their players. Glorious and emotional scenes ensued as Jason Goodliffe lifted the play off trophy. The fans truly gave everything today, supporting their team to the last. As the celebrations commenced an overriding sense of pride surrounded all involved. "

And a dramatic win it was! AFC Wimbledon were losing for most of the match, until this happened (from the Wimbledon website - http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/-/reports/ryman-league-premier-division-playoff/12115/staines-town):

"Terry Brown’s last role of the dice saw Hatton enter for Quinn and suddenly a bit of fortune went Wimbledon’s way as Staines conceded a needless corner. On 82 minutes, Courtnage seemed to claim the resulting delivery but then he fell to the floor under a challenge. He dropped the ball and McDonnell was first to it, hitting a low cross to the near post where Cumbers threw himself at it and headed the ball home via a Staines defender. Staines players looked for a flag but, to their horror, none was raised. AFC Wimbledon were back in the game thanks to a controversial, but certainly deserved equaliser. Meanwhile, Courtnage was very fortunate to escape a sending off after having to be restrainted from abusing the referee. If there was any doubt about the Wimbledon goal, there was a sort of rough justice given the earlier decisions that had gone against the Dons.

Wimbledon pressed with a new found energy and, when a free kick was won just outside the area, De Bolla grabbed the ball off his team mates. The pint-sized forward stepped up and curled a beautifully struck ball into the bottom corner of the goal - cue hysteria, Wheatsheaf Park rocked, players ran towards the dugout swamping Terry Brown. From nowhere and seemingly against all odds Wimbledon could sense promotion. After some courageous defending, the controversial referee finally brought the game to an end. Wimbledon had done it - third time lucky.

Supporters ran on to the pitch in elation to congratulate their players. Glorious and emotional scenes ensued as Jason Goodliffe lifted the play off trophy. The fans truly gave everything today, supporting their team to the last. As the celebrations commenced an overriding sense of pride surrounded all involved. "

Archived