El Salvador-Canada 2004 qualifier Game Thread (R)

Guest Jeffery S.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Let's put it this way. We have to do the same thing Holland and Turkey have to do after losing for the same result to Scotland and Latvia respectively. V. good results for both those squads.

But I am confident. I think we will push from the start and they will be thinking defense from the start. The talent is certainly there and it sounds like overall the game went okay. The second half in fact we had a lot more of the game, it was maybe even in possession, and most of our players were into it well. The only one it seems was a bit off form was Atiba of all people, who could not hold onto the ball and never got a shot on goal.

Another poor mark to our coach, we have great problems in our changes at all levels. Our senior coaches make changes late and we have to fight fresh legs vs. Germany, Czechs, here we made none except the keeper, a big ego blow to our starting keeper in UAE in a few weeks. Why not put in Friend and have a head to look for in the last few minutes? Even our U-20s we have had probs changing, as seen in our win over the States where they all came late. This is an overall deficit I'd say, as it suggests we do not have an idea of how to do them, and we are not giving guys on the bench any gesture of confidence to boot. Do we have teams, or are our starters sacred or something?

Given it will be after midnight for me on Tuesday, we'll see if I can really do the play by play. Though I don't work on Wed morning. Maybe if we get a result vs. Ireland I'll be inspired.

I would like to get the statistics for the past 20 years regarding penalties against Canada Vs penalties awarded to Canada at all level in official matches. I'm convinced that it's something like 3 or 4 awarded versus one received. The referee could be intimidating by a Central American crowd but we don't get that advantage here. I have no clue if the penalty we got against us today was deserved but we just don't get at home the calls that our opponents get in their country against us. That's a fact and it's not helping our cause.

Archived