El Salvador-Canada 2004 qualifier Game Thread (R)

Guest Jeffery S.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

ES corner kick after a good try on us. Comes to nothing.

Montarosa (or Montaroza) goes on for Quintanilla, so that must be one striker for another.

Long goal kick for Canada, we control. ES gets it back and comes forward on a quick counter. I think their rushing is benefitting us.

Now at m. 35. They come forward again, passing well and trying to find the hole. But we get it back and lose it again. Aldama gets a shot and it goes weakly over the goal. Goal kick.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

No substitutions for Canada yet other than the keeper change?

I still can't figure out why you sub your GK at the half of an important game like that. It's impossible that the GK change was something who was plan before the game. Maybe it's an injury.

Guest Jeffery S.

m. 37 No changes for Canada yet from what I have heard.

ES has taken more control in the last 5 or 8 minutes as they push to get at least one goal.

They pick up on side and get a corner kick at m. 38. Olivieri pushes it away and ES attacks again as they pick it up. And it goes to Olivieri again, sounds like he is playing it out short some times.

ES gets it back and and gets a shot, but Canada blocks the shot and it goes to a corner. They take it quickly. We reject it and get it back, but lose it quickly again.

Another corner for them. They are given a penalty off a long shot, not sure what happened, but it seems like it hit an arm of a Canadian player.

Guest Jeffery S.

Well that is a universal language. Goal by ES on the penalty.

Too bad it came so late in the game. Do we go for the tie desperately or try to make sure they don't get more? Maybe only 5 minutes left plus extra time.

We attack after the penalty and get a corner. Klukowski takes it, goalmouth scramble and we get a free kick after the ball comes out of the box. Dangerous kick for us, de Guzman takes it from the side and it goes off the sidelines after missing our heads.

Guest Jeffery S.

Canada is indeed attacking a bit more to get it back in these last few minutes. We are getting back the ball a bit more and going forward quickly.

m. 45 they add three minutes.

A lot to do in Kelowna, but this is a credible result. In with a chance. Would have been nice to get an away goal, but we'll just have to shut them out in the return leg.

Thanks a bunch Jeffrey. Made the broadcast for me.

cheers,

matthew

P.S. wow am I getting the feed that much faster than other people?

Guest Jeffery S.

Minute and a half left. Odd we have not made a change, like sticking in Friend. De Guzman attack is stopped. Perhaps Atiba took a knock and goes off the field?

Guest Jeffery S.

End of the game, ES wins 1-0 on a penalty. Sounds like the announcers were not overly convinced about it, as it seems a long shot after a corner hit the arm or shoulder they even said of a Canadian player.

They go immediately to a political announcement after the match. They are indeed in a campaign for the ES presidency.

So we will have to win by two in Kelowna, so it is not a great result. Always have to try to score when playing away. But I am sure we can put the pressure on.

The only real question I can see after this, is the contradiction with our keeper. Karim is called for the Olympic squad, perhaps to get some playing time before the UAE, and it seems Twamley does not have confidence in him. In comes Olivieri at the half when scoreless. For the U-20s he has all the confidence of the coach, over Rayner, Fernandes and Djekanovic, all of whom were left off the squad. Really odd and sounds contradictory to me.

Though perhaps not as contradictory as having to listen to these same guys from Kelowna in a few days instead of getting it from a Canadian feed.

Archived