El Salvador-Canada 2004 qualifier Game Thread (R)

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Disappointing to hear how de Guzman and Atiba are not dominating at all in the middle, playing behind the ball and chasing their rivals.

Canizalez and Kluka are getting more of the ball. So it sounds like our play is going over the middle and up high. Where we lose it, and they come back at us. Minute 36.

m. 38 Nsaliwa seems definitely to be in the midfield, as Williams. A long cross just misses him

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Disappointing to hear how de Guzman and Atiba are not dominating at all in the middle, playing behind the ball and chasing their rivals.

Canizalez and Kluka are getting more of the ball. So it sounds like our play is going over the middle and up high. Where we lose it, and they come back at us. Minute 36.

m. 38 Nsaliwa seems definitely to be in the midfield, as Williams. A long cross just misses him

Guest Jeffery S.

m. 40 I have updated the ES line-up in the post above, they attack with Quintanilla and Cabrera.

We are getting an attack now. The announcers frequently name our players by their first names, I suppose they are reading the names after looking at the numbers.

El Salvador comes back but we are stopping them further from the goal now and getting some better midfield defending.

We get a free kick and are attacking more. De Guzman is more into the game.

ES comes back with a play that comes close, and Williams clear in the box.

Extra time, 2 more.

Guest Jeffery S.

m. 40 I have updated the ES line-up in the post above, they attack with Quintanilla and Cabrera.

We are getting an attack now. The announcers frequently name our players by their first names, I suppose they are reading the names after looking at the numbers.

El Salvador comes back but we are stopping them further from the goal now and getting some better midfield defending.

We get a free kick and are attacking more. De Guzman is more into the game.

ES comes back with a play that comes close, and Williams clear in the box.

Extra time, 2 more.

Impressions from a guy who understands every 10th word:

Sounds like a decent first half. Survives the big pressure early. Getting the midfield more involved. We can't be surprised that they're dominating possession at home. Yet they haven't had many great chances. Their best have been off of crosses from the outside or free kicks. If we can keep them wide I think we'll be okay.

Canizalez sounded really active early and now he sounds a little isolated. I've been hearing a lot of DeGuzman's name towards the end of the 1st. Hopefully we can hold up in the heat for another 45.

What's your take on the first half Jeffrey?

cheers,

matthew

Impressions from a guy who understands every 10th word:

Sounds like a decent first half. Survives the big pressure early. Getting the midfield more involved. We can't be surprised that they're dominating possession at home. Yet they haven't had many great chances. Their best have been off of crosses from the outside or free kicks. If we can keep them wide I think we'll be okay.

Canizalez sounded really active early and now he sounds a little isolated. I've been hearing a lot of DeGuzman's name towards the end of the 1st. Hopefully we can hold up in the heat for another 45.

What's your take on the first half Jeffrey?

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

Half time, still 0-0.

ES has not really had a shot on goal, all of Karim's work has been pulling balls out of the air on crosses and high balls.

A few of their crosses came across the front and were close, but none of their forwards got to them.

C'mon guys, someone give me a tip on Chris Williams, he is the one player I really don't know.

You have got to give me credit, as I am not watching Spain, but half listening to them too. Schizo or what? 1-1 at the half vs. Norway, Iverson scored for them first, Raul got one back. Spain not playing too well and not dominating in their habitual style. That Norway goal is going to be big for them in the away leg.

I did give you a tip on Chris Williams. He normally plays on the right side of midfield, where Nsaliwa normally play. If Nsaliwa is playing as a striker above Williams, it suggests Williams is on the right side of midfield & Pozniak is the right back.

Williams has some speed, but probably isn't as good on the ball as Nsaliwa is, IMO. Hopefully either one (or better still, both) will put one in for Canada in the 2nd half.

Williams was a right mid for the U20s was he not? I'll guess we're lineup like so:

----------Alim

Oppong--Marshall--Braz--Pozniak

Williams--Hutchinson--Klukowski

-----Nsaliwa-----DeGuzman

----------Canizalez

I have no sense where Nsaliwa is, but I can't see him front. He and Williams might be vice-versa. Pozzy must be on left no? I don't see Oppong on the left, though Jeffrey, you thought Williams and Pozzy were on the same side?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by matthew

Williams was a right mid for the U20s was he not? I'll guess we're lineup like so:

----------Alim

Oppong--Marshall--Braz--Pozniak

Williams--Hutchinson--Klukowski

-----Nsaliwa-----DeGuzman

----------Canizalez

I have no sense where Nsaliwa is, but I can't see him front. He and Williams might be vice-versa. Pozzy must be on left no? I don't see Oppong on the left, though Jeffrey, you thought Williams and Pozzy were on the same side?

It is tough as the announcers never describe where in the field the play is. I get the impression that Klukowski is nearer Canizalez and de Guzman back in the midfield. I am at a loss as to where Nsaliwa is playing. Williams is being one of our most dynamic players, as is Klukowski who is a defender remember at La Louvière.

Guest Jeffery S.

2nd half starts, Andrew Olivieri comes in for Karim who the announcers say was a bit nervous in goal. Are they sure they want him in UAE?.

We are playing in red and white, they are in a light blue that they complain about as it is not the national team colours, but the colour of a new sponsor. So they argue that it has to be corrected.

De Guzman gets a chance on goal, long shot, that goes off.

Marshall plays on the left side for the U20's so I suspect he is there. Probably Oppong & Braz as the two towes in the centre of defense, flanked by Pozniak on the right (where he normally plays for his club) & Marshall on the left.

When Williams got his first senior team cap against the US in January, he played behind Nsaliwa in a sort of withdrawn midfielder role. I suspect he is better with the ball at his feet (& therefore keeping possession) than Rob Friend is and that is why we are seeing Williams play, with Nsaliwa in a more advanced role and no Friend. Its a more defensive philosophy in that we are more interested in keeping the ball & preventing ES from scoring at home than putting out our most dangerous offensive weapons (especially since Friend is best with his head, rather than his feet). I would suspect that in Kelowna we will see Friend start (its his home town, so he must be fired up for that one) up front with Nsaliwa back in midfield and with Klukowski going back to Belgium Dunfield slotting in the Klukowski spot, with the rest of the starting line-up the same.

This philosophy for the first match is a bit of a gamble & risk, as it is better to draw 1-1 than 0-0 on the road (with that bloody away goals rule that I hate so much in effect).

Guest Jeffery S.

m. 2 They get a shot that goes wide and Olivieri touches it for the first time on a goal kick.

Canizalez tries to make a play and loses the ball.

ES on a counter, their forwards pressure Olivieri on a divided ball and he boots it out for a throw-in.

ES player has a run near the box and goes down, ref (from Jamaica, think the name is Stewart) waves it off as nothing.

I had it in my head that Marshall and Braz were in the middle, but what GL outlined makes perfect sense.

I'm trying to keep the faith, but our U20 keeper situation is really dicey. Not sure I've ever seen a keeper get pulled without allowing a goal.

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

m. 6 Cross is picked off by Olivieri. The game is going very much back and forth this half, no real dominance by ES yet. We are getting the ball back quicker and going forward quickly, perhaps too quickly.

REally odd how they trade off from one play-by-play announcer to another, very little colour play. All dead periods are filled in by ads.

Guest Jeffery S.

m. 9 Another ES attack goes over the line without danger. Canada goal kick.

Thanks for the clarity of your description G-L, but I am still unclear how it is really set up. They never say where the ball is, so I am really at a loss in some plays in imagining the play.

Odd about the keeper change, as the announcers did not say anything about Karim being uncertain in the first half, until they saw the keeper change at the start of this one.

Guest Jeffery S.

m. 13 De Guzman gets a long shot after a Canada attack. Goes over the net.

Yellow card to Quintanilla for saying something to the ref, complaining about an uncalled foul perhaps. It seems that Marvin González also has a yellow card, which I did not hear called in the play-by-play.

Atiba getting more into the game as well. Possession much more even this half. A long attack by Canada, moving the ball side to side more, holding it and looking for the pass with more criteria. m. 15.

Pozniak slightly injured on a foul.

Guest Jeffery S.

ES sub around m. 15. Sanchez off and Morales on.

Also sounds like another ES player was changed, but they were on a long series of ads.

Williams is called "Crease" by the announcers. Tam is called by his full first name.

m. 18 ES calls for a foul in the box but the ref says no. Sounds like a small push and the ES forward fell. We get a goal kick.

El Salvador will travel early tomorrow morning for "Colombia, Colombia Británica". They say it will be zero degrees in Kelowna, could be I guess.

Guest Jeffery S.

m. 21 De Guzman puts in a cross that noone gets to.

All our midfielders are much more into the game. Though the player we are missing really is Atiba. Seems after a year in Sweden his ball control is not a forte, loses a bit too quickly.

Olivieri is taking his time with the ball when it falls to him, so we are trying to draw out the game a bit and deflate possible ES attacking time.

m. 23 Corner for ES. Quintanilla takes it with his left. Ball goes over the goal line and goal kick.

They are greeting the ES supporters abroad, I am going to send them a mail I think to let them know we are listening too.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

www.weather.ca is calling for a high of 6 degrees and low of -1 on Wednesday

Game starts at 8 I think or is that ES time, which would mean 6 our time? So they could be more or less right about that.

ES has another player on whose name I think is Josué, don't know who came off. Their changes are all about trying to get more attacking fight in there.

Olivieri picks off a cross in easily. Sounds like he is a bit more sure, but it is also true that we are defending further from the goal and they are being a bit rushed in their attacks. Braz sounds like he is having a good game at the back.

Guest Jeffery S.

m. 30 Quintanilla takes a run but it goes over the end line. Goal kick. I took a break to send them a nice mail, let's see if they mention it. So silly this really.

I am getting quite a few "Service Unavailable" notices when I try to post today, not only right now, also earlier today. Is it the busy-ness of the board?

De Guzmán also goes forward, sounds like he is pushing up his side well. It goes over the line and they get a goal kick.

ES attacks, and a shot goes too high after the ball comes across to Amaya and he hits it on the volley.

Archived