Other friendlies prior to WCQ?

canadiankick97

Who else would you like to see Canada play prior to WCQ?

I would definately like a few Europe based games with about 2 friendlies with other Concacaf nations. Personally i think games against Ukraine,Wales,Belgium and Portugal would greatly benefit us but we need those teams in Concacaf to warm us up for the real WCQs.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't mean seeing one or two friendlies against some weaker opponents. It's nice that some of the bigger countries are willing to play us, but it would also be nice to have a win or two under our belts going into WCQ. Just so the boys remember what it feels like.

In other words, I basically agree with your post.

canada will not have any wcq games until june.canada will have its full a squad for close to a month together because of euro2004.the question is or the reality is that one or two euro teams that didnt qualify for euro2004 will have to travel to canada to play us prior to our wcq games.it will be a great summer for soccer in canada in 2004.a canada u.s. games would sell out commonwealth.

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

It would be cool to have a little 4 team tournament prior to our WCQ with 2 European teams that didn't make Euro 04 and another Concacaf team.

How about a 4 team tournament with Mexico, USA and...............NORTHERN IRELAND!!!...HAHAHAHAHA!!

How about playing a few South or Central American teams in Europe? I would say that's the most critical missing element. With the exception of Gold Cup, Canada hasn't played any teams from this side of Atlantic in a while and that would be important.

Generally I don't think that playing against teams that are far above you is as helpful as playing those who are only moderately better. In other words, to get better I believe we need to play against better opposition but not the best opposition. So, while one friendly against the Czechs is awesome, a (very) hypothetical friendly schedule featuring Czech Republic, France, Brazil, Argentina and Italy would be bad!

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Generally I don't think that playing against teams that are far above you is as helpful as playing those who are only moderately better. In other words, to get better I believe we need to play against better opposition but not the best opposition. So, while one friendly against the Czechs is awesome, a (very) hypothetical friendly schedule featuring Czech Republic, France, Brazil, Argentina and Italy would be bad!

generally, I agree with this statement. But I am not so so sure that I would place the czechs in the same sentence as the other ones that you mentioned. Not yet anyways.

Archived