Canucks in the World, Nov. 7-10 (Menezes scores!)

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Why not the world, after all we can handle it.

Friday the 7th Richard Hastings played 90 as Maastricht pulled out a 1-1 draw with an extra time goal at home vs. Dordricht. MVV is still last in the Dutch 2nd division, but every point counts, a single win would take them out of relegation.

Also since the team has given up 33 goals in 13 games, this was a good defensive performance for them. Since Hastings as shown elsewhere is our most active national team player (really odd that, but all credit to him) and he is playing for his club it is good to see he'll be on form for next week. BTW the team has a game on the 14th, so either he misses it or he misses the Czech game. Maybe we should call up 20 players and split the work a bit for these friendlies now that qualifying does not start until June.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Why not the world, after all we can handle it.

I like this idea. Heck, even better, why not make one thread for each week (Monday-Sunday)? So, for example, we'd have "Canadians abroad - November 10-16, 2003" for next week.

I think with the way we are doing it now the various updates on Canadians abroad are too scattered across many short threads. Apart from making the forum more readable, a big advantage of grouping all updates into weekly threads is that the updates would be better archived for the future. We try to maintain a good archive of where our players play, so why not what they actually do in each game? This is something that is truly not available anywhere else. (Imagine, for example, if you wanted to look back at what a player did for his club through the season. With my suggestion you could run a search for "Canadians abroad" in the subject line and get all the appropriate threads listed for you.)

Exceptions can be made, of course, if a player does something really great and we want to draw attention to this with a separate thread, though when that happens I'd like to see the same info (or at least a link to the separate thread) copied to that week's main thread for future reference.

I'd go further and suggest creating a separate section of the forum for these updates, but I've said that enough in the last couple of days. :)

What does everyone think? Can we try this? I'm making this suggestion as a forum user, not a mod, but if people like it then I am willing to take the time (within reason!) as a mod to ensure that the system is followed (ie. move posts to the correct threads, etc.), though of course everyone will have to cooperate to make it effective.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I like this idea. Heck, even better, why not make one thread for each week (Monday-Sunday)? So, for example, we'd have "Canadians abroad - November 10-16, 2003" for next week.

I think with the way we are doing it now the various updates on Canadians abroad are too scattered across many short threads. Apart from making the forum more readable, a big advantage of grouping all updates into weekly threads is that the updates would be better archived for the future. We try to maintain a good archive of where our players play, so why not what they actually do in each game? This is something that is truly not available anywhere else. (Imagine, for example, if you wanted to look back at what a player did for his club through the season. With my suggestion you could run a search for "Canadians abroad" in the subject line and get all the appropriate threads listed for you.)

Exceptions can be made, of course, if a player does something really great and we want to draw attention to this with a separate thread, though when that happens I'd like to see the same info (or at least a link to the separate thread) copied to that week's main thread for future reference.

I'd go further and suggest creating a separate section of the forum for these updates, but I've said that enough in the last couple of days. :)

What does everyone think? Can we try this? I'm making this suggestion as a forum user, not a mod, but if people like it then I am willing to take the time (within reason!) as a mod to ensure that the system is followed (ie. move posts to the correct threads, etc.), though of course everyone will have to cooperate to make it effective.

DJT, I totally agree with your proposed system. I'm even willing to help you out any way I can to keep the threads up to date.

Think you guys are onto a grand idea there. Good call.

And along that line, seems like Pesch. has taken a liking to the pitch more than the bench as he spent 90 on the grass as the Blades get the maximum points against Burnley and continue to sit near the top of Division 1. Can't say as to what he contributed but knowing Warrnock his efforts must have been to some effect or he wouldn't have lasted the duration. Sheffield's Tonge seems to have netted the winner.

Iain Hume had a busy day, scoring once, missing a penalty in the first half, then drawing the penalty that lead to Tranmere's winning goal inthe second. Bent plays 90 as Plymouth crashes out of the FA Cup. Dunfield sits 90 as Bury also falls in FA Cup play, Justin Thompson not on the roster as he was ineligble play. Wycombe wins, but no Rogers in sight. QPR also falls out of the FA Cup, Bircham not dressed however. Norwich wins without the still injured Brennan and Wigan looses without DeVos.

Guest Jeffery S.

First off re Pesch, he in fact subbed on m. 72 in the Sheff Utd win over Burnley on Saturday.

Adding to Hume's great day in the FA cup, he set up the first goal in m. 3, missed a penalty kick m. 36, scored the 2-1 over Chesterfield m. 80, they got one back, and he was taken down in m. 85 for the penalty that gave them the win. Then the coach subbed him out to ovation in m. 89. Very fine day I'd say.

Right now Hearts is winning away at Aberdeen 0-1 after Kevin McKenna hammered a header off a corner and it went in officially as an own goal, late first half. Game almost over.

Fenwick did not play for Hibs who drew 2-2 Dundee Utd.

In Belgium Michael Klukowski had a fine 90 minutes Saturday as La Louvière won 3-2 over Lokeren and are 8th in the league, not far off a Uefa spot after 12 games.

In Switzerland, Daniel Imhof played 90 as Sankt Gallen won 1-2 away to Aarau in the Swiss cup this afternoon, they are into the final 8 along with 5 other top flight teams and two from the second division.

Ante Jazic played 90 this afternoon as Rapid Vienna fell away to last place Kärnten 2-0. They still lead the league, though only three points above Austria Memphis as the league has one more game until the winter break. The way the lineups are done it almost looks like he is playing forward, maybe he is in an attacking win position. Odd in any case.

Wicked game in Aberdeen! Bloody hockey game broke out! Big Kev very involved giving as good as he took and looks entrenched again at center back. Sub'd off with 5 minutes in regulation time. The Pittodrie crowd saw first Zdrilic then Tosh sent off as cards where flashing all over the grounds. Hearts bunkered down as nine man Aberdeen with the North Sea gail attacked in reckless abandon.

Good result for a UEFA tired Hearts. Was Aberdeen though. Kinda like picking on Caglary Kickers, err, Strikers. Storm?

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar has started for Benfica in an away game at Alverca this eve, Benfica up 0-1 after m. 13.

Press reports say that Aguiar is the sub for Petit, once again injured, and preferred over Swedish midfielder Andersson for his superior physical qualities. Petit could be out for up to a month and Fernando could benifit with more playing time.

In this article (fragment below) it is the first time I have seen Aguiar called a "Canadian international" in the Portuguese press. From http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=344068&idCanal=11

"SUECO ESTÁ RECUPERADO MAS CAMACHO QUER PODERIO FÍSICO NO MEIO-CAMPO

Aguiar mais forte que Andersson

Fernando Aguiar será o substituto de Petit no jogo de hoje com o Alverca. O internacional canadiano ganhou a corrida a Anders Andersson pelo lugar vago no meio-campo encarnado, apesar do sueco estar totalmente recuperado dos problemas físicos que o apoquentaram nas últimas semanas.

José Antonio Camacho quer substituir a combatividade de Petit com um jogador de características semelhantes e aí Aguiar ganha terreno, sendo mais forte que Andersson no plano físico, aspecto importante face a uma equipa aguerrida como é o caso do adversário desta noite."

The Swede Has Recovered but Camacho Wants Physical Strength in the Midfield

Aguiar is stronger than Andersson

Fernando Aguiar will be the substitute of Petit in the game today in Alverca. The Canadian international wins the spot from Anders Andersson for the Benfica midfield even though the Swede has gotten over his physical problems that have been bothering him over the past few weeks.

José Antonio Camacho wants to substitute the combativity of Petit with a player with similar characteristics, and this is where Aguiar comes to the fore, being stronger than Andersson in physical terms, an important aspect when playing against a tough team as is the case with the adversary this evening."

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar played 90 as Benfica won 0-3 over Alverca and now sit closer to the top of the table. Aguiar took a yellow card in m. 72, playing in a centre field triangle beside two-goal scorer Tiago and behind Zahovic.

Some Benfica fans, who still call him "robocop", complained before the game that Aguiar's drawback is taking fouls too close to the box. Fernando tends to risk a foul rather than let someone through late in a game that has to be held onto. Yet the team has lost points on free kicks and corners this year after leading, though Aguiar has not been the only one doing this as in the past couple games there have been other parties guilty of giving up set pieces late.

I think that Aguiar is going to be a person to handle the Czech's most offensive midfielders or just absord the attack in the middle before it hits our back line. In this sense he should have someone more technical beside him: I'd love to see a midfield with Stalteri beside Aguiar.

Stamatopolous' chance of getting selected for Canada instead of Onstad is taking a turn for the worse, with San Jose quickly behind Los Angeles 2-0 in the second leg of the MLS quarter-final (27 minutes in). If San Jose doesn't score a bunch, Onstad will be available for the two friendlies after all (though I still think Kenny deserves a look regardless).

De Rosario is listed as a sub for this match.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Agoos & Donovan have tied it up before the half. No sign of De Rosario that I've heard of. San Jose needs to score two more to prevent De Rosario & Onstad from playing the Czechs (which is of course, their #1 priority ;) )

Quakes score a pair in the 2nd half from Walker and Roner (his was in injury time). Rodrigo Faria puts one in early in extra time, giving the Earthquakes a 5-4 win on aggregate. From all accounts it was a game more than worth watching (you can kinda figure that from the score though :))

No DeRo and Onstad for Czech/Irish games. An MLS Cup for the two of them and Yallop wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for em tho [8D]

I don't mind that result. When I heard the De Ro injury news last week, I figured he was out of the running for these friendlies anyways. Who knows, he could very well still not be 100% by the time they roll around.

As for Onstad, I wasn't really all that keen on having him in the squad anyway. I'd rather see Kenny get a chance to play, or at least be with the team.

The striker options are reduced without Dwayne available. Is it possible that Hume could be available for one of the matches? I guess Xausa is always a possibility.

Five goals in one match! Just who the hell do the 'Quakes think they are? Chelsea?

Sorry to loose DeRosario. Would have liked to see him in at least one of those friendlys but going down 4-nil agg. and then coming back to win 5-4, well, I just can't get the smirk off my face.

Holy crap!! a 5 goal comeback for San Jose?? That sounds amazing.

As someone said, it sounded like a game worth watching. Just checking the Fox Sports World Canada site, and they were showing the Kansas City / Colorado match instead? Hello??!! What about the Canadian participation? (I'm assuming they only filmed one of the matches)

but props for FSWC for showing a round 1 FA Cup match on delay right after, Yeovil Town v Wrexham. :)

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

but props for FSWC for showing a round 1 FA Cup match on delay right after, Yeovil Town v Wrexham. :)

I agree (unless you were being sarcastic)--I find these lower-level teams interesting to watch. It's kind of like watching Canadian university football or something--interesting because anything can happen--except the fields are better quality.

Will FSWC be playing the LA-SJ match at any point in the future?

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Radzinski strikes in the 49th minute, but it isn't enough as Everton drops a 2-1 decision at Blackburn.

Here we are all saying that having Radz and Pesch up front means we have no height, but Radz scores a surprising number of goals off his head. So let's not count him out, his positioning and speed along with a strong head compensates for his short stature.

Guest Jeffery S.

Tony Menezes, known as Tony in China, scored Saturday as Nanjing Yoyo pulled off a 0-3 away victory. The team is now above a few other teams in supposed relegation zone (I have no idea how pro-leg works for Jia B), 9th in the 14 team league with three games in the season left.

Found this by checking our beloved rsssf, scroll down to Round 23 here and there he is: http://www.rsssf.com/tablesc/china2-03.html

Archived