Any word on TV coverage of friendlies?

sstackho

Nothing official or confirmed yet, but there appears to be a better chance of the senior team friendlies being televised in Canada than the Olympic qualifiers or, surprisingly, the U20 World Cup. We may have to start looking fairly quickly for sattelite coverage & start to organize ourselves (in our repsective regions) for public viewing meetings if we want to see this stuff. I think the U20 matches are being televised somewhere by sattelite, but live broadcasts would be in the late morning here, which would mean that we'd have to demonstrate to any bar or pub why it would be worth their while to show these matches - which means demonstrating that we have enough numbers, which means getting organized & confirming people's interest.

Either that for find somebody who has a home satteltie dish that will pick up the matches who's willing to host a bunch of fanatic soccer fans in his house on a weekday morning. :)

Ironically, the match most unlikely to be available by sattelite is the one to be played in Kelowna (as if we aren't broadcasting it, I doubt anybody else is - the only hope would be for an El Salvadoran crew to come up to Kelowna for El Salvadoran tv).

I find the lack of news regarding the World Youth Championship in the UAE to be the most dissapointing. I have to believe it is because the timing of the games (weekday mornings) makes it hard to find sponsors to cover the cost. If that is the issue I hope they could at least show the matches on tape delay at a time when more people are at home.

Archived