soccer coverage in canada

snake

Nothing short of amazing when you think about what it was like 10 or 20 years ago. Add to that the coverage that's available on the Internet. You really had to work to follow the game in the old days, especially if you weren't lucky enough to have an NASL or CSL team in your city.

I can not agree any more. 20 years ago the only soccer coverage there was.Was on the Channnel 11 in Hamilton I was able to watch The second half of serie a soccer match on Sunday mornings. and on CFMT in Toronto I was able to watch The Champions league final. and that was it.

quote:Originally posted by nedved9

I can not agree any more. 20 years ago the only soccer coverage there was.Was on the Channnel 11 in Hamilton I was able to watch The second half of serie a soccer match on Sunday mornings. and on CFMT in Toronto I was able to watch The Champions league final. and that was it.

When did they start with the EPL roundup? Soccer Saturday I think? I used to watch that when I returned from the weekly pub crawl as an undergrad in the early 90s... I thought it had been around for a while before that...

But then TSN isn't much more than 20 years old, I think.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Well it's only fair as TLN doesn't seem to be available in Moncton:( unless it's on digital or satellite?.Rogers charges enough for regular cable, so not for me. We poor Maritimers would have to get another transfer payment for that!!:Dwww.tv5.ca the more I look maybe only available in Quebec and New/Nouveau Brunswick

Check again. I think that TV5, France Overseas, is available (due to CRTC policy) on basic cable throughout most of Canada, because of lack of franco alternatives. At Edmonton it's on channel 86, TLN on 88. You may want to fool around with the channel changer and the channel button on the TV, because often funny things happen (ie: some channels inadvertently get skipped).

I just finished watching the CIS women final between UBC and Ottawa, all broadcasted by Sportsnet. Boy! we've come a long way for Sportsnet to show this game. It was an entertaining game with lots of goals. Must have been cold out there, gave me the chills just watching it. Too bad all the football lines, it was distracting. Gerry and Helen were the color commentators and again I did not like Helen's. Too much commentary of what the players should have done or should not have done. It is annoying to me after a while.

Where I live we got tons of soccer. Fox Sports World is on regular cable. Gol TV is on free tv. I have 9 Spanish channels, including Fox Sports World Espanol. I live 20 miles from Mexcio though. Soccer is huge down here. Every time I go out I see people wearing jerseys of various teams. Even the occasional MLS jersey. We probably get more soccer down here than they do in Europe. If this area could get better organized I think you'd see some of the best US players coming out of the Rio Grande Valley.

International (or foreign) soccer coverage in Canada is pretty good.

However, if we do not get any of the 7 Canadian mens matches (or more if the U20 team gets past the first round) that is coming up this month (2 major senior friendlies, 2 Olympic qualifiers - including one held in Canada, and 3 first-round U20 matches) then one can only conclude that coverage of Canadian mens soccer in Canada sucks. With four all-sports channels, plus the CBC, you wouldn't think this was possible, but so far it looks to be the case.

Isn't that a sad truth. We don't get any radio coverage either. For instance how much will it cost to have radio coverage (audio) from El Salvador game on the 15th. It seems that El Salvador is sending a radio commentator to broadcast their game when they go to Kelowna on the 19th. Obviously El Salvador must be a richer country eh!

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Where I live we got tons of soccer. ....

With all that coverage, I hope you were able to see the Earthquakes / Galaxy game Sunday. Lots of people are saying it was the best MLS game ever. All we got were highlights on FSWC the next day.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I've watched this show, and no offence to the three guys on the show, but I know more about Italian soccer than the three of them combined. I've tried watching the show for more than 5 minutes at a time, but couldn't. These guys are annoying.
I completely agree! I watched about 10 minutes of the first episode and never went back. I was hoping it would be a good show. :(

quote:Originally posted by Ed

With all that coverage, I hope you were able to see the Earthquakes / Galaxy game Sunday. Lots of people are saying it was the best MLS game ever. All we got were highlights on FSWC the next day.

Yeah, we got that game. Quite a few Mexicans have adopted the Galaxy as their MLS side.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Where I live we got tons of soccer. Fox Sports World is on regular cable. Gol TV is on free tv. I have 9 Spanish channels, including Fox Sports World Espanol. I live 20 miles from Mexcio though. Soccer is huge down here. Every time I go out I see people wearing jerseys of various teams. Even the occasional MLS jersey. We probably get more soccer down here than they do in Europe. If this area could get better organized I think you'd see some of the best US players coming out of the Rio Grande Valley.

Except most of them wouldn't be eligible to play for the U.S. national team anyway cuz they're illegal immigrants, no? j/k ...

One thing that was very interesting to see this summer was the footie revival in Montreal, and how RDS (Francophone branch of TSN) picked up many home games. It will be interesting to see if RDS decides to broadcast more games this year. Could lead to other networks (Sportsnet?) picking up regional games for the other Canadian teams.

Soccer coverage is decent over here now, but I wouldn't say the sport is getting any more popular yet. I mean, we've gone from having 12 TV channels to some 80 channels over the last 20 years so there's much more of EVERYTHING! For instance last night Sportsnet showed some NBA game involving 2 teams from Texas! So apparently there are many sheep ... err .. I mean, PEOPLE who will watch anything whether they care about it or not!

Soccer coverage is decent over here now, but I wouldn't say the sport is getting any more popular yet. I mean, we've gone from having 12 TV channels to some 80 channels over the last 20 years so there's much more of EVERYTHING! For instance last night Sportsnet showed some NBA game involving 2 teams from Texas! So apparently there are many sheep ... err .. I mean, PEOPLE who will watch anything whether they care about it or not!

Yes, I often think back to just a few years ago, when there was only the odd champions league game on TSN, which was the only sports venue that could not aim its cameras over the boards of the hockey arena. Life is good. My weekends are submerged with more soccer than I can handle. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Just this week, I've watch the Canadian universities men's final and the Ireland/ Canada game. This may be a bit unusual to have so much Canadian content on the screen but I am very happy. It feels, though this may change next week, that Canadian soccer is stepping up and being noticed IN CANADA.

Another thing I've enjoyed are the FA cup early rounds featuring such teams as Wrexham and Yeovil. It really helps me understand what is behind such comps as the FA Cup where a minnow can live the golden moment of giant killing.

Next project: some sort of regular live soccer (aside from my own team and our twice weekly outings).

Project after that: a Canadian professional league with a team in Halifax.

I'm not asking for too much am I?

Archived