a-league sched...

bettermirror

i know it's been brought up, but remind me please...

why is the a-league in the summer? for that matter, the mls?

the mls has no clubs except maybe new york and new england that would feel any major effects of winter, and the a-league has just calgary, toronto, montreal, and now edmonton to worry about weather.

i guess it wouldn't be fair to subject them to that when say el paso and los angeles play in 30 degrees every week.

You must be joking. You must live on the west coast, or are an idiot, or both. Syracuse, Rochester, Minnesota, Milwaukee don't have winter weather?

Not to mention that fans in Canada and the US aren't going to come out in crappy cold and rainy weather in the other cities in the leagues when crowds aren't so great in the summer when the weather is good. Add to that that soccer can't compete head to head with other sports in the winter and you have another reason. Do we have to get into how the crowds drop off in the A-League and MLS as soon as winter rolls around again?

its the first third of the schedule that teams have trouble bringing in crowds.the season should start three weeks later than the usual start date and finish up around mid-october.what about some cross promotions with college football teams that share there stadiums with a league clubs.

quote:Originally posted by snake

its the first third of the schedule that teams have trouble bringing in crowds.the season should start three weeks later than the usual start date and finish up around mid-october.what about some cross promotions with college football teams that share there stadiums with a league clubs.

Actually, aside from Vancouver and Montreal, every team in the A-Leagues attendance drops off for the playoff games in September. The A-League season used to last into October, until they decided to end it a couple of weeks earlier by cramming more games close together earlier in the season and by dropping the number of playoff teams just to avoid so many crowd drop offs. Crowds are only poor in the first third of the schedule in places like Virginia Beach and Richmond due to wet and windy weather, and Calgary due to cold weather and snow (at least this past season or two).

Once college football starts in the US (and the NFL gets into full swing) baseball starts into the playoff stretch, and Canadians minds switch to thoughts of hockey (whether they want to or not due to it being crammed down peoples throats by the media) crowds dwindle at A-League games. Not to mention teams that share fields with football teams get the short end of everything. Thank god Seattle doesn't have to play even more games with the gaudy NFL lines painted all over the pitch and goal areas placed inside dark blue painted endzones.

I think he means Husky soccer stadium which Seattle used in their open cup win against San Jose this past season. While it is grass, even with temporary bleachers it only seats 2500 (the attendance at the aforementioned game drew 2510-a sellout!) Plus they aren't allowed to sell beer there, something thats important.

The Sounders organization seems to want to play at Seahawks stadium for some crazy reason, even though rent is higher there than some of their other choices. They already turned down playing in a new soccer stadium going up in Fort Dent:

fortdent-ten.jpeg

With temporary bleachers down one side they'd probably have 4000 seats, more than enough for Seattle.

You know, as much as I hate the Sounders, I feel for their fans because the team seems to have no direction. One minute they're A-League and proud of it, the next they're too big for their britches.

Tell you what, in Calgary we'd kill for that Ft. Dent location. [V]

Archived