edmonton aviators

bettermirror

a new club is born...

www.aviatorssoccer.com

EDMONTON, ALB -- Edmonton's newest professional sports franchise will now be known as the Edmonton Aviators Soccer Club. The Edmonton Aviators name was chosen following careful consideration and community consultation. It is intended to honor and commemorate Edmonton's rich aviation history.

"Our organization felt strongly that the name selected should reflect Edmonton's history. Our name is a tribute to our city's rich and notable aviation history," said Wylie Stafford - President of the Edmonton Aviators Soccer Club.

In 1926, Edmonton owned the first licensed airport, Blatchford Field. As well, Pioneer Bush pilots, engineers, aircraft salvagers and smoke jumpers, who made Edmonton their home, played a significant role in opening the development of Canada's northland. Of course, Edmonton airfields also played a significant role in World War II. The Northwest Staging Route was opened in 1940, which allowed for the transport of key aircraft and supplies from the U.S. to Fairbanks. These airfields were critical following the outbreak of war with Japan and because of Russia's immediate need for aircraft.

These daring young aviators made Edmonton proud. They continue to amaze historians and aviation enthusiasts alike.

"We are excited that our club is about to make history. We have committed to fielding two teams that will make Edmonton proud and believe that our teams and Edmonton's historic 'aviators' have some common attributes," said Stafford. "The players on Edmonton's new Men's and Women's teams, like Aviators, will be daring high flyers with plenty of skill, drive and determination. We expect that our Aviators players will be heroic to our youth and strong contributors to our community."

The Edmonton Aviators logo is inspired by fighter plane fuselage art and squadron iconography. It's playful and fun, yet very aggressive. The aviator is wearing a skull cap fashioned from a soccer ball that is flying through the air from a kick so hard it leaves fire in it's wake. The three flames depict the capital E for Edmonton.

The logo can be viewed on the Edmonton Aviators website at www.aviatorssoccer.com. Merchandise can be purchased at the Edmonton Aviators Ticket Office at 11041 105th Avenue between 8:30 and 4:30 weekdays.

The Edmonton Aviators are the newest addition to Edmonton's professional sports scene. Both the Aviators Men's and Women's soccer teams will play in the United Soccer Leagues. Both teams will play at Commonwealth Stadium beginning in spring of 2004.

Well what does everyone think? I quite like the name. I'm not such a fan of the logo. The idea isn't bad, but they don't quite pull it off. I'm also sick of soccer balls, but at least this one makes a little sense. That 'E' is pretty weak though. I didn't even realize it was supposed to be an E until I read the description.

I also find it interesting that they were 'overwhelmed' by the response of the name that team contest and yet picked a name no one suggested. I think they still could have stuck with the 'aviation theme' and gone with Barons which sound pretty classy to me. The kits look sharp from the drawings. Kind of early 90s actually, but they're non-bland without being too over the top.

The Storm/Aviator lines should write themselves if Calgary goes back to the name.

cheers,

matthew

Rather than calling themselves "Ultras" (a name which has been done to death already), I think the hard-core Edmonton supporters should call themselves the "Kamikazees" to reflect the name of the club. :)

I wasn't aware that Edmonton had a great aviation history, so the club name is educational if nothing else - and I tend not to have a problem with names that reflect a town's history.

Well.. it'll take some getting used to...

At least they tried to incorporate something of the history of the city and it wasn't limited to either Oil/Gas or Ice/Snow. I guess it could be worse.

On a related note, I am impressed at how organized this seems. It's been months since we heard a peep outta anyone - today they show up with a name, a professional logo (even though it looks a little crazy) a reasonably slick website and what looks like a plan.

I'd just like to say I'm NOT wearing a beanie with a little propeller to any future games!

I don't like the colours. We have five A-League teams and three of them wear blue and white (don't get technical about shades of blue, they're all close enough).

And, ironically, the team from the city that is usually associated with blue and white wears yellow!

How screwy! [xx(]

Some people need a quick history lesson.

Edmonton has the City Center Airport and the International. Edmonton as well had CFB Namao. You also have the history 418 "City Of Edmonton" Squadron. This city's been long an Air Force city before it came an Army one. The likely explination for the sky blue in the uniforms.

I still think those kits will look good once they're on a live human being (and don't have the long sleeves). They're early 90s retro, don't you think?

Got to agree with Strobe_z, that web site is slick and the launch was really nicely done. They seem to on the right track. I hope.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Some may complain that the colours are ripping off the Whitecaps.

The difference is that the Aviators can play soccer.:D

Actually (and I notice the grin at the end of your post) I was only joking that all the Canadian teams (not only Edmonton) were copying the Whitecaps. I actually think they resemble the Impact jerseys more than anything.

As for the joke, well, I'm sure Vancouver will once again go furthest of the Canadian teams next year in the league as they have done the last 3 seasons. :)

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Some may complain that the colours are ripping off the Whitecaps.

And as for my complaint about the colours, I think they look good (especially the men's home) and I don't think of them ripping off Vancouver or Montreal. I just think it's rather boring when three of the five Canadian A-League teams look similar.

It would have been interesting if the first (home) jerseys were sky blue (Aviators -> flying -> sky). Then, to get away from the typical North American practice of just reversing colours, the second (away) jerseys could be red (from the red flames in the logo). Sure, red would look like Calgary, but as a second uniform that probably wouldn't be so bad. Do A-League teams have to wear their second uniforms when playing away, or only when their first uniforms don't clash with their opponents?

I think I'm neutral about the name, logo and jersey design (given what's expected in North America).

Edmonton Aviators. I initially came out against it but its not that bad. And the kit looks OK, too (the Women's kit looks better that the men's IMO - like the teal colour). However, the logo sort of spoils it. Just use a plane instead of a soccer ball. They could have made a very classy logo if they hadn't gone with the modern North American angry/sneering object. If necessary, the team could have used this current emblem as a secondary logo to market to the kiddies.

Archived