edmonton aviators

bettermirror

Yeesh.

Don't like the name. Don't like the kits. Maybe it'll grow on me. Yeah, right.

Seemed to have had an idea, there. Just dosen't work realy well for me. Aviators? How about Aces? Now there's a flying theme. A more manly one that is! Or better still, the name for a supporter's club. Alas, I'm too late for the naming contest. Too, too late.

P.S. If you want to see true "avaitors" just tune in Sunday. Avaitors Winnipeg style. Not at all the sort you take home to mother. Suck on a thousand pounds of cordite! Get back to the oil patch, Ralfilians!

The Westlands are Bomber Dominion to piss on as they see fit. Woe to he that gettith in the path of that Dred Blue War Machine, for he know not what pains await him.

Did any of this announcement make today's (Oct. 29) print editions of the Sun or Journal? There is nothing about it on either website, as limited as they are. Maybe I just missed it, it didn't make the grade for the website, or maybe it was just a photo and cutline.

Though dissappointed that the team won't be called The Drillers, I liked the Aviators right away.

My dislike for the logo developed just as quickly.

Local TV news in Edmonton covered the announcement last night with an emphasis on the name, rather than on season tickets becoming available.

Can't wait for Joe Petrone to give me a call. I can't understand why I've been overlooked for so long. ;)

Oh, and I love the beanie idea strobe_z!!! Could be good product idea for the team.

I hate the logo. The name doesn't grab me, either. But then, I never liked the names "Oilers" and "Eskimos" either. Once they win a few games, the name won't matter. In general, I'd prefer that soccer teams didn't have official nicknames, but I guess, in North America, you have to. As for the kits, I'll wait till I see the players wearing them before making a judgement.

The website is pretty cool, though. So all in all, it's not a bad start. Now all we need is for them to start signing some players. Then I'll (hopefully) get really excited.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

P.S. If you want to see true "avaitors" just tune in Sunday. Avaitors Winnipeg style. Not at all the sort you take home to mother. Suck on a thousand pounds of cordite! Get back to the oil patch, Ralfilians!

The Westlands are Bomber Dominion to piss on as they see fit. Woe to he that gettith in the path of that Dred Blue War Machine, for he know not what pains await him.

I'm not positive I know what you're talking about. But the Frontlyne boys are ready to drop the bomb on you. You guys haven't even seen KK yet, Nealon managed to find his head from his posterior and the defence is tight.

Stop, drop,

shut 'em down open up shop

Oooooh, nooooo

That's how Roughriders roll

You going? I was stoked for a home date, but I'll have to settle for the Grey Cup.

cheers,

matthew

Maybe, maybe. Tickets are going fast and a few of the lads from the Old Eastside might just be getting back together for an afternoon. Weather looks like it's going to be just right, that is to say, warmer than 25 below with winds something rated less than hurricane velocity.

Friend's son is 14 and been steeped in grandstand stories so he's very keen to live the experience with the legendary Cheeta though I'll admit I'm a bit off my paces. This is a nice change. So many others have just quit going to sporting events with me. Well, events where there's an emotional attachment anyway.

Gotta check the VISA. Might just make another Flatland roadtrip this year:).

Not having much experience with the A or W leagues, I was pondering ther possibility of having joint doubleheader games for both the male and female Aviators. Has this been tried in these leagues before? Is it feasible now? Are the team and the leagues considering it already. Anything that will create a marketing angle and fill up as many of the seats in the cavernous Commonwealth as possible would help.

quote:Rather than calling themselves "Ultras" (a name which has been done to death already), I think the hard-core Edmonton supporters should call themselves the "Kamikazees" to reflect the name of the club. :)

I'd go for "Spitfires", myself. :)

The logo is silly, but so are most other A-League logos (ie Lynx).

I'm just happy to see another CDN franchise try and make a go of it.

What news of Hamilton/Ottawa?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

the whitecaps and breakers often play doubleheaders ... triple sometimes by playing youth teams prior - as they have sides at all Super-Y levels as well.

Edmontons site already mentions doubleheaders. If I recall correctly the Whitecaps have played 4 doubleheaders each year for the last couple of years. One of the questions they sent out to season ticket holders asked how many games would you like to see doubleheaders next season.

The trouble is there are seperate types of fans for both teams. Some of the womens fans are the quiet "golf clapping" type of fans who don't want the kind of support that the louder fans give to the mens side. What you see at each doubleheader is many of the womens fans leaving after the womens game, while many mens fans show up after the womens game is finished.

I don't think that's the case with the Edmonton fans, at least not from what I saw at the last WNT game here.

I like the fact that the season tickets are cheap enough to attract fans who might only want to watch the women's games. Since they're, in effect, getting season tickets for two teams for the price of one, the women's fans might become fans of the men's team and vice versa.

I'm still hoping Edmonton can attract a couple players from the WNT, or at least from the U-19s that played here last summer. They're more recognized names at this point than any of the men's players we might be able to bring in.

By the way, how does the season ticket price in Edmonton, $199-$289, compare to other Canadian A-League teams.

WNT games are a different story. Were talking W-League here, and thats a totally different scenario. Lets face it the W-League is far removed from the big events that WNT games are. Wait until a few Aviator womens home games have been played and you'll see what I mean.

I don't know how many fans of the womens team will start becoming fans of the mens team. The core of the Whitecaps womens fans are little girls and their moms (sometimes dads). There is an hour long gap between the womens game and the mens in Vancouver (I assume it will be the same in Edmonton as you have to leave enough time in between games for the dressing rooms to clear and the players to warm up). As soon as the final whistle is blown you see many of the little girls and their moms get up to leave (or get some autographs and leave). It's hard for them to become fans of the mens team if they don't stay to watch them. Also many of these little kids don't have the attention span to sit through two games.

• 1 month later...
quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

The sad thing about their merchandise is that the ownership has not release no soccer scarfs or soccer hats. These are essential items for a soccer organization.

They have caps avaliable for $22 plus GST and a $5 shipping charge.

Archived