CSA announces friendly with Ireland

Massive Attack

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DeGuzman and Kuklowski are not listed on the CSA U-23 player pool and should be available for the senior team.

Hume might also be available, as he is listed on the U-20 but not the U-23 pool list.

Nsaliwa, Hutchinson, Canizales (if healthy), Friend and Pozniak would play against El Salvador.

Given the potential shortages of players due to U23 qualifiers, club matches & injuries, I'd like to see the likes of Patrice Bernier & Marco Reda called once again - but this time give them a chance to play. Their seasons end Nov.1st I believe, so they'll be in a lot better shape to take part than say, Mark Watson. And then of course there is Fernando Aguiar....

I'm not sure what to do at the striker position if De Rosario is unavailable. Pesch & Radz don't seem to work together well, and most of our other strikers are U23 players (or U20 for that matter).

At least one of the two matches should be used to give Jazic a look at left back, unless Brennan is still injured by the time these matches are played.

Come to think of it, there may be a few players that are available on the 18th but not for the 15th, due to club conflicts. Perhaps the CSA will revise their 16-player statement for the two matches (since they have already appeared to have been a little bit hasty in announcing the Czech match would be the final one before the end of the year.)

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

any news on if its going to be on TV

Not as of yet, but its not just this match that it would be nice to have news on. With two matches each on the 15th & 18th (El Salvador series, Czech & Ireland friendlies) and the U20 WYC starting up in late November, it would be terribly disappointing if we didn't get to see any of these matches.

:D

Very pleased.

Two first rate friendlys!! (Certainly both will be broadcast one way or another).

Sorry Yallop fans, looks like Mr. Miller is going to be the new Gaffer:(. Ug.

Hey, maybe I wrote too soon. Xausa's international days might not be over yet!

Maybe not the place for this post, but I was thinking lineup. Not even Nov. friendly specific, but just generally. What I propose is this: for every game we should have: Hirschfeld, DeVos, Stalteri (as a midfielder), DeGuzman, Radzsinki and DeRosario starting. After that you can pick almost any five of: Aguiar, Bent, Bircham, Brennan, Imhof, Jazic, Klukowski, McKenna, Menezes, Nsaliwa and Reda and we would have a very, very good side. Add in Onstad to back up and Pesch to be the forward off the bench.

cheers,

matthew

I read in some of the posts a concern that some important players will not be available for the Czech and Ireland games because they will be playing for the U23 team on November 15 and 19th. I think it is a bonus that these important U23 players will be playing as well, and not in friendlies but in real qualifying games against a soccer nation such as El Salvador. What is wrong with that? does it not qualifying for the senior team starts against Concacaf nations? So think about it, who has the more relevant games. To me it is great that we get to have coincidental games that allow more players a taste of the show and a chance for the coaches to see them.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I read in some of the posts a concern that some important players will not be available for the Czech and Ireland games because they will be playing for the U23 team on November 15 and 19th. I think it is a bonus that these important U23 players will be playing as well, and not in friendlies but in real qualifying games against a soccer nation such as El Salvador. What is wrong with that? does it not qualifying for the senior team starts against Concacaf nations? So think about it, who has the more relevant games. To me it is great that we get to have coincidental games that allow more players a taste of the show and a chance for the coaches to see them.

Agree with that.

I'm very pleased by these 2 quality games for the Senior Squad. It will be a busy November with the U-23 and the U-20. Hope to see some games on TV.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

they have already appeared to have been a little bit hasty in announcing the Czech match would be the final one before the end of the year.

As soon as I saw the announcement of this second friendly that statement came to mind. Strange, usually the CSA say they are going to do something but then don't do it. This time they said they weren't going to do something but did do it. Would be nice if they wouldn't have to keep contradicting what they have previously said, but if it has to happen then what happened this time is certainly better than what usually happens! :D

I could not be happier for Canadaian soccer.:D

These friendlies in this schedule format are long overdue. Hopefully after going 3-0 down against the fins, the team will gell a bit tighter this time. Hopefully their will be a new cap or too, including Marco Reda.

What ever else happens, this is turning out a huge month for canadian soccer, with the u-23's and u-20's playing huge games as well.

Whatever else, it will also be interesting to see the impact on the team for WCQ.

Wow,this is exactly what we've all been wanting for so long.This is the perfect opportunity to introduce a couple of new faces and maybe an old one(Aguiar).I don't think we should make too many radical changes from Finland although we might not have a lot of choices.I would like to get a real good look at Jazic for a full 90.Hopefully De Vos and Brennan are fit.Probably won't see De Ro unless San Jose get eliminated early.Seems like most of our striker options will be in El Salvador and B.C.Pity.

Finland,Czech and Ireland all in 5 weeks?Canada will now find out what it might be like to qualify for a European event.Those 3 teams would make a tough Euro group.

great preping for qualifying.we have to go with the 5-4-1 against the czechs,and 4-3-3 against the irish.get xausa in as an attacking midfielder against the czechs.i would also put mackenna up front as striker against the irish.just a few suggestions.

Well I don't know about where you play your games, but isn't it far more easier to play games where the players are near?

Every winter the Finnish Football Asso****ation brings a load of crappy footballers on hollidays to Bermuda or whatever, just to play teams like Cayman Islands and so on. Otherwise coyunries like Latvia, Estonia or some Norwegian "allstar squad" comes on a visit far away from the potential audience..

Ofcourse if you think playing Ireland or the Czech Rebublic being a curse or just booooooring friendlies, you might want to reconsider!?

Or are you just that arrogant? Don't you want to play against the best? (Not meaning "the mighty" USA)

Sorry man!!..Got confused with Mckenna`s birthdate. He was born on Jan. 21, 1980. Because I read a quote that said that Mckenna, De Guzman, etc. would be with the U-23`s, and they wouldn`t be available for the 2 friendlies coming up against the Czechs and the Irish. And I realised that Mckenna`s not eligible (U-23) but DeGuzman can play perfectly.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Go for the Trifecta dude!!!!

A player must be born on or after 1 January 1981 to be eligible.

Julian's birthdate is March 25, 1981.

quote:Originally posted by Northern Star

Well I don't know about where you play your games, but isn't it far more easier to play games where the players are near?

Every winter the Finnish Football Asso****ation brings a load of crappy footballers on hollidays to Bermuda or whatever, just to play teams like Cayman Islands and so on. Otherwise coyunries like Latvia, Estonia or some Norwegian "allstar squad" comes on a visit far away from the potential audience..

Ofcourse if you think playing Ireland or the Czech Rebublic being a curse or just booooooring friendlies, you might want to reconsider!?

Or are you just that arrogant? Don't you want to play against the best? (Not meaning "the mighty" USA)

What the **** are you talking about?

I haven't read one single post on this thread where there hasn't been positive reaction to the news of the Ireland and Czech friendlies.

What a fantastic month of soccer!!! Even if we lose every bloody game this month, at least we will be better for it, especially with World Cup Qualifying on a few months away. With that said, I am confident we will get the result we need against El Salvador, and I think our U20s will show well in the UAE--may not win, but will show well--and we may pull off a decent result against Ireland...More than 40 different players should see game time this month, which should help our coaches get a good sense of who is ready to play at the senior level. I agree, we need to see Reda, Bernier and Aguiar. I'd like to see a healthy Brennan and DeVos, but wouldn't want to rush them back. How about Menezes? If Aguiar is available, we may see Stalteri up front, if only because we'll probably be thin on strikers. Unless, of course, we bump McKenna up front or play Xausa. I have a feeling that Radz will not be available for either of these games.

Whatever the case, kudos to the CSA for the two friendlies. I hope the coaches of our 3 teams will do well to share information on their players.

quote:Miller will announce his selection for the two games on November 10

I don't know if anyone else picked up on the significance of this date. The first round of MLS playoffs end on November 9th so if San Jose are eliminated, Miller can call up Onstad and DeRosario. Personally I think San Jose will go through and these two will not be available. I hope Kenny S. will get at least one half of one game in goal. He deserves it after backing up Hirschfeld and Onstad for the last couple of years. Also important is if either of those two get injured in WC qualifying we need someone who has some international game experience at the highest level. This is what friendlies are all about: getting the younger and on-the-bubble players some playing time with the big team.

Albert

I have so many conflicting thoughts to post right now. It's great that we have two friendlies lined up, when back during the Holger Regime, there were barely any (save in early 2003, those four friendlies were fly), and these are very good teams we're playing. In fact, the Czechs were ranked Second in the Fifa Coca-Cola World Ranking back in 2000. But... why so many European teams? We need friendlies against CONCACAF opposition. After the Cuba defeat back in July, and with World Cup Qualifying coming up, it's clear that we need to face CONCACAF sides more often. Some home friendlies, maybe, against Caribbean and Central American opposition. Nevertheless, I'm happy that we're playing these two great squads, and I hope that either Sportsnet or FOX Sports World will broadcast 'em.

quote:Originally posted by Jeff Ferguson

I have so many conflicting thoughts to post right now. It's great that we have two friendlies lined up, when back during the Holger Regime, there were barely any (save in early 2003, those four friendlies were fly), and these are very good teams we're playing. In fact, the Czechs were ranked Second in the Fifa Coca-Cola World Ranking back in 2000. But... why so many European teams? We need friendlies against CONCACAF opposition. After the Cuba defeat back in July, and with World Cup Qualifying coming up, it's clear that we need to face CONCACAF sides more often. Some home friendlies, maybe, against Caribbean and Central American opposition. Nevertheless, I'm happy that we're playing these two great squads, and I hope that either Sportsnet or FOX Sports World will broadcast 'em.

The friendlies have to be in Europe, because that's where our best players, except for a few, are. This is our only chance for a "training camp" for the first round of World cup qualifying starting in late January or February. I also feel that we can only get better against superior opposition like Ireland and the Czechs, and we've had planety of games against Concanaf opposition last summer. Play our game and make it stronger.

I also feel, as I 've stated before, that the Olympic qualifying is a mixed blessing. Even if we go to Mexico for the final Oly qualifying, there is little chance we would succeed in getting 1 of the two places, and the congestion of the schedule with more IMPORTANT MATCHES. Make sure our senior team has the best players for the Euro friendlies to get our A team working together for the WCQ, use the El Salvador game as experience for some of our upandcomers.

Archived