CSA announces friendly with Ireland

Massive Attack

Men's World Cup Team

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Canada To Face Czech Republic and Republic of Ireland

Ottawa, Canada – The Canadian Soccer Association today announced its Men’s World Cup Team will play international “A” friendlies against two of the top 15 teams in the World when they face the Czech Republic and the Republic of Ireland on November 15 and 18, respectively.

Canada will face the Czech Republic in Teplice, Czech Republic on Saturday, November 15. The Czechs, who won their European Championship Qualifying group with a record of seven wins and one draw, are ranked No. 11 in the FIFA World Rankings.

Canada will then fly to Dublin on Sunday, November 16 to face the Republic of Ireland at Lansdowne Road in Dublin on November 18 at 7:30 p.m. local time. The Republic, No. 15 in the FIFA rankings, was eliminated last month in the European Championship qualifying round and was looking for a fixture during the international break for the playoff games.

Colin Miller will again be the head coach of the squad after taking over on an interim basis for the friendly against Finland on October 11.

“These are two huge games for us,” said Miller. “I was pleased with how we ended against Finland and we were eager to play more games before the end of the year. As we get closer to World Cup Qualifying early in 2004, it’s very important for us to be able to play together as often as possible. It doesn’t get much better than facing the Czech Republic and the Republic of Ireland and we are very excited and pleased to be able to play such well respected teams and we look forward to the challenge they represent.”

Miller will announce his selection for the two games on November 10 and will not choose players selected by Men’s Olympic Team head coach Bruce Twamley for the Olympic qualifying series against El Salvador on November 15 and 19.

Canada has never played either country at the senior level.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1512

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! 2 European friendlies in a week. Unheard of! Well done, CSA. This is an excellent chance to try a change here and there to see if anything positive results. Also let's hope the team comes together as a united group.

I guarantee will beat Ireland they play like us. The Czechs I dont know. Watch out for Pavel Nedved.

Starting 11:Against Czech 4-4-2

Hirschfeld

Mckenna Reda DeVos Jazic

DeGuzman Staltieri Bircham Brennan

DeRosario Radzinski

Subs:

Onstad

Hastings

Bent

Peschosolido

Watson

Klukowski

Xausa

Starting 11: Against Ireland 3-1-3-1-2

Hirschfeld

Mckenna DeVos Jazic

Bent

Staltieri Bircham Brennan

DeGuzman

DeRosario Radzinski

Subs:

Stamatopoulos

Imhof

Hastings

Peschosolido

Watson

Klukowski

Xausa

I take it the same pool of 16 will be used for both friendlies? That is understandable, and with so many of our young players away with the U-23's, we don't have that many to draw from anyway.

I don't exactly have the players' ages memorized, but I imagine the following players should be available.

Hirschfield

Kenny S (I don't want to try to spell that name again).

De Vos

Reda

McKenna

Jazic

Bent

(Hastings, Watson, Fenwick too, and my guess is we'll probably see at least 2 of these)

Brennan

Stalteri

Bircham

Aguiar(we can dream)

Imhof

Radzinski

Peschisolido

Would a player such as Hume be called up for the U-23s? That's a lot to ask of a player, U-20, U-23 and MNT at the same time. I am assuming Nsaliwa, De Guzman, Hutchison and Klukowski will be with the Olympic team. Looks a bit thin up front, but I can't think of anyone else at the moment, unless De Rosario is made available.

This is huge. In the entire history of CSA :-), we have never had a back to back friendly in Europe! Well, good for them for a change!

But I do hope that all players including Julian DeGuzman will be given their fair opportunity....There is no point in lining up friendlies and getting your ass kicked because your best players are sidelined for obscure reasons.

The release said Miller will not call U-23 players that Twamley wants. I'm going to assume that the U-23's will want DeGuzman in their line-up. Considering it is a international weekend and league play is suspended, put JDG in the competitive setup and someone not in the U-23 pool in the senior side.

Thus, I think this is the perfect opportunity to re-introduce Aguiar to the WC side because some normally strong candidates for midfield should be called up for the U-23 games. Bring Reda in as well because deVos should maybe play only one of the two games for caution's sake. As well, cost aside, should we not call a larger side because freindlies allow for more subs than full internationals.

This is great stuff though, just the tonic the team needs - lots of games and lots of time together.

FYI, here's the press release from the Football Association of Ireland:

http://www.fai.ie

Ireland to play Canada at Lansdowne - 28 October 2003

The Republic of Ireland will play Canada in a friendly at Lansdowne Road on Tuesday, November 18, next with a 7.30 p.m. kick off.

It will be the first meeting between the two nations.

The Canadians are taking in a European tour and the previous Saturday, November 15, will be in the Czech Republic for a friendly game with the Czechs.

Earlier this season Canada were in Finland where they lost another friendly to the home side 3–1. They also took part in the Conicaf Cup tournament but went out in the first round to Cuba.

Manager of the Canadian side is Colin Miller who was born in Scotland and who played for a number of clubs there before moving to Canada. Among his clubs were Rangers, Hamilton Academicals, St. Johnstone and Dunfermline.

He later became manager of Hamilton Academicals. He is the holder of the highest badge available for coaching in Scotland.

The Canadians were listed at 83 in the latest FIFA rankings released earlier this month. They are four places above Georgia and eight places higher than Albania, two of the nations in Ireland's group in the Euro 2004 qualifiers.

Ireland are at fifteenth, one place lower than a month ago.

This friendly will be the first match for the Republic and manager Brian Kerr since the defeat against Switzerland in Basel earlier this month which ended Ireland's hopes of qualifying for the Euro 2004 Championship finals in Portugal next summer.

Further information on the Canadians is available on the Canadian website at www.canadasoccer.com

FYI, here's the press release from the Football Association of Ireland:

http://www.fai.ie

Ireland to play Canada at Lansdowne - 28 October 2003

The Republic of Ireland will play Canada in a friendly at Lansdowne Road on Tuesday, November 18, next with a 7.30 p.m. kick off.

It will be the first meeting between the two nations.

The Canadians are taking in a European tour and the previous Saturday, November 15, will be in the Czech Republic for a friendly game with the Czechs.

Earlier this season Canada were in Finland where they lost another friendly to the home side 3–1. They also took part in the Conicaf Cup tournament but went out in the first round to Cuba.

Manager of the Canadian side is Colin Miller who was born in Scotland and who played for a number of clubs there before moving to Canada. Among his clubs were Rangers, Hamilton Academicals, St. Johnstone and Dunfermline.

He later became manager of Hamilton Academicals. He is the holder of the highest badge available for coaching in Scotland.

The Canadians were listed at 83 in the latest FIFA rankings released earlier this month. They are four places above Georgia and eight places higher than Albania, two of the nations in Ireland's group in the Euro 2004 qualifiers.

Ireland are at fifteenth, one place lower than a month ago.

This friendly will be the first match for the Republic and manager Brian Kerr since the defeat against Switzerland in Basel earlier this month which ended Ireland's hopes of qualifying for the Euro 2004 Championship finals in Portugal next summer.

Further information on the Canadians is available on the Canadian website at www.canadasoccer.com

De Guzman turns 23 in January. So maybe he`s not eligible for the under 23 olympic qualifying.

Anyway, excellent friendlies!!!. They`re going to definitely help us out before our WC qualifying debut in January. It`s the perfect time to show the world where our soccer`s at and that we`re not just hockey players!! Go CANADA!!!!

De Guzman turns 23 in January. So maybe he`s not eligible for the under 23 olympic qualifying.

Anyway, excellent friendlies!!!. They`re going to definitely help us out before our WC qualifying debut in January. It`s the perfect time to show the world where our soccer`s at and that we`re not just hockey players!! Go CANADA!!!!

Wow, great news, it's just a real shame we couldn't have our manager in place before this. We could call everyone in (except the U23s) and give them a crack at cracking the squad. Still this will be two good tests and a chance for players to get more familiar with each other.

I hate to say it, but I'm really going to be pulling for the Galaxy to knock off the Quakes and free up DeRosario and Onstad. Having Dwayne with Rads together makes such a big difference.

I would love to see DeGuzman with the full team, but I really think the U23s need him. El Salvador won't be easy at all, even with a chilly reception waiting for them in Kelowna. There's some tough, tough decisions ahead. I hope we show some more vision in picking some new faces for these crucial games. Good time to give Menezes a go, test Reda and get Aguiar back involved.

cheers,

matthew

Wow, great news, it's just a real shame we couldn't have our manager in place before this. We could call everyone in (except the U23s) and give them a crack at cracking the squad. Still this will be two good tests and a chance for players to get more familiar with each other.

I hate to say it, but I'm really going to be pulling for the Galaxy to knock off the Quakes and free up DeRosario and Onstad. Having Dwayne with Rads together makes such a big difference.

I would love to see DeGuzman with the full team, but I really think the U23s need him. El Salvador won't be easy at all, even with a chilly reception waiting for them in Kelowna. There's some tough, tough decisions ahead. I hope we show some more vision in picking some new faces for these crucial games. Good time to give Menezes a go, test Reda and get Aguiar back involved.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by fza

Go for the Trifecta dude!!!!

A player must be born on or after 1 January 1981 to be eligible.

Julian's birthdate is March 25, 1981.

quote:Originally posted by fza

Go for the Trifecta dude!!!!

A player must be born on or after 1 January 1981 to be eligible.

Julian's birthdate is March 25, 1981.

Archived