The Atiba Situation

Dandal

I totally agree this is only a trial. A slight difference from this one and others Canadians have had in the past. Most are the result of agents contacting clubs.. This one appears to be the club approaching the agent. Doesn't mean it is a sure thing but the probability of signing is likely higher.

Having said that, I would imagine Atiba would still have to earn his playing time should he be signed.

Again, I suspect this is only the beginning for this group. I would expect more trials for other players.

Hume, on the other hand, is under contract and playing so likely only rumours about him going elsewhere. Then Tranmere is not a bad place to be for a 19-20 year old to develop.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Sorry to put a damper on things, but I have to say this: it's just a trial! Let's keep it in perspective.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings all canucks from a fan of Öster!

Atiba has mainly played as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2 lineup in Öster. I would doubt that he already is mature enogh to play in Serie A, if Udinese signs him they probably think of him as a man of the future.

I have met him a few times, and he is a great guy with just the right attitude to make it. However, he is not really "there" yet but after one or two years as a regular player in a decent club he will probably succeed.

//EoE

When in Montreal two years ago for the Lynx-Impact match, me and Mirza, while out on the town, ran into Chris Pozniak in Burger King.

We talked for a while and he had some interesting things to say. One of them was regarding his European prospects and whether he had any trials on the horizon. Regarding trials, he said that there's two types of trials.

First, and I think this is what has jaded many Canadians here, is the type of trial that really means nothing. Poz says that a trial is pointless unless the team really is interested in the player and is paying close attention, otherwise trials are just given out as favours (for example, agents) but often no matter how well a player does, if the team is not really taking the player seriously, there's not much chance.

This ofcourse leaves the second type of trial, that where the team is genuinely interested in the player. Given the fact that Udinesse out-pursued other European clubs for the rights to Atiba, and Hutch's high-profile, it's obvious that this trial falls into the secondary category.

So I think those being pessimistic about this trial, possibly based on past-experience and let downs from Canadians going on trial, are a bit wide of the mark. This trial should certainly be taken far more seriously than other, lesser players who have been on trial with various European clubs.

While Udinese is a Serie A club, it should be noted that Parity does not exist in Italian soccer like other European leagues. When you realize that Udinese has average attendance of less than half of all the big five Italian clubs (Juventus, the Milans, and the two Rome clubs), one can only imagine that budgets are much smaller. This would mean, I suspect, that the squad size is smaller than would be seen at the bigger clubs. In other words, Hutchinson will need to be seen as useful to the club in the very near future or he will have to come cheap.

Still, the good news is that if he is signed, he would have a much better chance of playing a little than he would at the big clubs. There will be no Rivaldos sitting on the bench at Udinese. That would also suggest that, while not connected, Pizzaro's departure would be more likely if Hutchinson was signed.

Putting it into perspective, Udinese's attendance numbers fall below all of the teams of the Bundesliga and only Fulham in the EPL has lower attendance numbers. This also leaves me to wonder who the interested Bundesliga (if they are B-1 teams) teams might be and how serious are they..

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

So I think those being pessimistic about this trial, possibly based on past-experience and let downs from Canadians going on trial, are a bit wide of the mark.

I didn't mean to come across as pessimistic. I just think some people were getting a bit ahead of themselves as some comments made it sound as though he has already made the team. I tend to find both the highs and the lows amongst many Voyageurs a bit excessive.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

While Udinese is a Serie A club, it should be noted that Parity does not exist in Italian soccer like other European leagues.

I agree that there isn't parity in Italy. But are you saying that this is the same as (in which case I'd agree) or different from (in which case I'd disagree) other leagues? Virtually all leagues have their dominant clubs and I don't think Italy is any different either way.

quote:When you realize that Udinese has average attendance of less than half of all the big five Italian clubs (Juventus, the Milans, and the two Rome clubs), one can only imagine that budgets are much smaller.
Udinese's attendance is low in an absolute sense but great when you consider that the population of Udine is just under 100,000. I think their budget is quite large despite the low attendance numbers and relative to everyone else in Italy (apart from the top 5) as they consistently possess star players, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. As was also mentioned elsewhere, Udinese have done remarkably well and must be considered one of the current top clubs in Italy apart from the top 5.

Forget Pizarro, I'd imagine that Hutchinson could be in direct competition with this guy:

LIVI MISFIT HAS ITALIAN CHANCE (from here)

24 Dec 2003 08:41

Livingston outcast Cherif Toure-Maman could clinch a surprise move to Serie A after being handed a trial by Udinese.

Toure-Maman has been told he can leave Almondvale when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.

The midfielder has spent two years with the SPL side but has made just one appearance this season.

The 22-year-old still has a further 12 months remaining on his contract but Livi are happy to cut their ties with the African.

Udinese have now handed Toure-Maman the chance to resurrect his career by inviting the midfield man to Italy in the New Year.

Livi boss Davie Hay feels Toure-Maman could have the talent to earn a contract with Udinese and has no qualms in releasing the player.

"For whatever reason it just hasn't worked out for him here," said Hay.

"I've always maintained he is an exceptional talent but he's not produced it often enough for us.

"We've had a long chat, though, and if this doesn't work out for him then he'll be welcomed back with open arms and given a fresh start."

I was suggesting that the Italian league is the same as other leagues in Europe.. Probably more than we assume. Yes the budget is still large.. compared to say a Hannover or Bochum in Germany. On a side note, I wonder what happens in Parma now that signature sponsor, Parmalat, has filed for Bankruptcy protection?

As for the Toure-Maman reference, I agree completely.. It is direct competition with Hutchinson.

I still think indirect - Hutchinson has received praise for his performances as an U20 defender, rather than a midfielder & I would be surprised if he's being looked at for the purposes of the midfield. Note that Atiba made the starting 11 FIFA all-star team in defense, not midfield.

Guest Jeffery S.

I've being doing some web searches on Atiba, and it seems that in spite of him going to Udinense on trial as a confirmed piece of news, just last week he was mentioned again as of interest to Man City. They scouted him in mid October in a game where there were also scouts from Panathinaikos and Paris Saint Germain.

In any case I wonder what happens if the transfer window nears and Atiba does not sign for the Italian club. Will there still be time left for him to find another club? I wonder if in Sweden they can still sign a transfer until later as they don't start their league until March and it would not make sense for them not to be able to sign someone in their pre-season. I am hoping that a better Swedish club will be his fail-safe option if the Italian one does not go. You can find articles from late December from Swedish fan sites, where a couple of top flight Swedish teams are mentioned still.

I agree that it is a distinct possibility that Atiba won't find a new club before the end of January. According to a fan site he leaves for Udinese tomorrow, but it is still a trial. Some of the other european clubs that have been mentioned seems more like spin from Atiba's agents than serious interest from the clubs managers. But several swedish premier league clubs are interested and Atiba has already an offer (from Helsingborgs IF, 6th place last year, champions 1999). Domestic transfers are possible until the league kicks off early April. Atiba's present club, Östers IF, are willing to let him go, but will definitely try to get as much money as possible. They will not let him go to a domestic side before the international transfer window close.

"-I'm happy they're giving me this opportunity", Atiba Hutchinson says to swedish tabloid Aftonbladet before he today (Tuesday) leaves for his trial with Udinese. "Udinese is the club that's shown the greatest interest, so this feels good."

Atiba doesn't rule out continuing playing in Sweden: "- I like it here and Allsvenskan is a good league and I guess the second level is a decent league too. So it's a good alternative."

Atiba will be back from Udinese sunday this week (January 11), so for those with working knowledge in Italian it might be worth keeping an eye on Udinese's website (www.udinese.it).

Just for who is interested, I have been advised that Atiba's agent is not as posted earlier to be Barry Mclean but infact has signed with a agent from Italy to represent him and his future in futbol for the next two years as of early January of 2004. When I have his correct name and spelling I will forward it to you.

From Sporting Life:

ATIBA ON TRIAL

Serie A side Udinese have handed a trial to Canada under-21 star Atiba Hutchinson.

Hutchinson, currently under contract at Swedish side Oster, has flown to Italy in a bid to secure a permanent deal.

"I have not decided about my future for 2004. I am under contract with Oster, but clubs from Allsvenskan have also shown an interest," said Hutchinson, who impressed many watching scouts at the recent World Youth Championships in the United Arab Emirates.

"In a few weeks' time I will have made up my mind," he added.

Since there still isn't any news on Atiba and Udinese (I was under the impression that the trial should be over today), I thought I'd let you know that swedish premier side Helsingborgs IF has increased their bid for Atiba to something like US$ 600-700K, about twice their initial offer. The renewed bid is official news, the sum isn't.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Just in I have heard from Italy rumors that Atiba has signed with Modena according to very good resourses. We will soon here I would guess on the wires if there is truth to it. But my sources are good!

Well with Modena, who are much lower in the tables than Udinese, this might mean some first team action for Atiba? or No.

Well if its true not only he will be the first Canadian to sign for a Seria A team. If he plays in a match game he would also be the first Canandian player to play for a Seria A. Thats great if it all happens for Atiba lets wish him well with any team Udine or Modena. Modena as mentioned is more likely, Udine has strikers and midfileders on there list of signing a few from what I understand.

Well, Atiba is back in Sweden, trained with the other boys earlier today. Talked to the local TV news, but didn't want to say much about if he was about to sign a deal with some club or even which clubs he'd prefer to play with, though it didn't seem Udinese was an option any more. And, polite as he is, he insisted that continuing with Öster still is an alternative. The news folk commented "Well, we don't really beleive that, do we...".

They usually put the news show on the net, so I'll try to post a link to the clip when they're done.

The show goes on:

Latest Hutchinson news is that he has recieved permission to visit "a non-scandinavian club that has shown interest in signing Atiba", and left Sweden yesterday. Local newspaper has it that he is in Turkey, since the club in question is on a training camp there. Except for the turkish clubs that you obviuosly find in Turkey there are supposed to be german, dutch and russian clubs on camp there. Öster's management stresses that this is not a trial: "Udinese was a an exception. Atiba shouldn't need to travel around and put himself on display. His sporting merits should be well known since the YWC."

And some non-Atiba news. Chris Pozniak was, as reported on another thread here, on trial with norwegian premier sida Lilleström. But yesterday Lilleström signed swedish international defender Christoffer Andersson. I guess this means that Pozniak is no longer an item with the club.

Addendum:

I did a search on the net and found Efes Pilsen Cup in Antalya, turkish seaside resort, playing this week. Participating teams are Galatasaray, Kaiserslautern, Spartak Moscow,

Trabzonspor, Werder Bremen and PSV. There might of course be other teams camping in the area, since Antalya seems to be a popular spot for winter training camps, but I think one of these six is a good bet. Personally I would hope for PSV. The dutch league is good with young players.

Yeah, well we might both be wrong. Latest rumour says he, in spite of what his manager said about going on trials, participated in a training match with a russian team earlier today. Whatever, there's a reason why they named it the silly season.

Archived