Canada West (CIS) playoffs set

Andrew W

Sunday afternoon saw UBC clinch the final playoff spot in the Canada West Conference with an 8-2 win over University of Calgary. UVic beat Lethbridge 3-1, but UBC takes third place and the final playoff spot. University of Alberta also won 1-0 over Saskatchewan.

On Hallowe'en in Saskatoon the University of Alberta and UBC meet in one semifinal while conference regular season champs Trinity Western face the host Saskatchewan Huskies.

The winners meet in the final on Sunday Nov, 2. Hopefully Gordon can keep us updated both days with results. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Hopefully Gordon can keep us updated both days with results. ;)

I'll give it the old college try :D. Friday may be iffy due to work - audit of my Department this week, but they are scheduled to be done Friday a.m. so chances are good.

Caught the Sask-Alberta game yesterday. A fairly dreary affair with not much to play for for either side. Alberta sat the majority of their starters to begin the game and then made even more changes at the half.

Saskatchewan seemed to send out their best 11 but they seemed fairly beat up. Prime started up front, then slipped into midfield then played the 2nd half as a central defender. He was clearly nursing an injury. Gareau also looked less than 100% and seemed to hurt his back midway through the 2nd half. Keegan Thomas, who I believe was at one point committed to Alberta, looked sub par was well.

Alberta's goal was one of the few chances for either team in the 2nd half and involved an excellent cross to Panizzon in the box who took a touch and found Myskiw wide open around the penalty spot and he calmly slotted home. Alberta had some good chances in the 1st half mainly through Bachelu who came off at the half.

Hopefully Sask can give TWU a game this weekend. I think if healthy they are dangerous but they might not have much in the tank. Alberta and BC is a pick 'em to me. Like last year, Alberta seems to have lost a bit of form towards the end of the season but we'll see what they've got this weekend.

A bit of a primer for the upcoming action:

A recent dump of snow along with sub zero tempatures and some gusty winds means that playing conditions tomorrow (Friday, October 31) will not be pleasant.

Third seed BC plays second seed Alberta in the first game at 11:30 Saskatchewan time. BC seems to have hit their stride with consecutive 8 goal outbursts. Alberta, as ditty notes above, seems to have lost a bit of form. They played on consecutive weekends in Saskatchewan, first BC, then Alberta. BC looked the better team, but Alberta has the superior won-lost. A pick 'em, with both sides capable of winning.

Top seed TWU plays host Saskatchewan in the second game, begining at 2:00 local time. TWU the clear favourite in this game as Saskatchewan, despite an excellent defensive record, finished 6th in Canada West with 3 wins and a draw. ditty reports that Saskatchewan is looking a little banged up, and may not have much left in the tank. TWU won both games between the two teams, 2-0 in Saskatchewan and 3-0 out in BC.

Final and Third place games to go on Sunday afternoon.

They are able to use their status as a Christian school to draw some players who may want that sort of setting. Plus, they put a tremendous amount of emphasis on the school's athletic programs. As well, they've got some quality players like Paul Ballard who was in the U-20 national player pool.

Although I would agree, they've made the transition from a community college to university athletics in one hell of a hurry.

Alberta crushes UBC 4-0. First-year Junior Castrillon nets a hatty and Bachelu gets the other. Didn't expect this but when you play in Saskatchewan in November (almost) you can expect the unexpected. A big win for Alberta. I like their chances on Sunday regardless of who they play.

Hope Sask can pull off the upset vs Trinity Western.

Trinity Western defeat Saskatchewan in extra time, 2-1. TWU did not even the score until the 90th minute, apparently on a goalmouth scramble. A long range shot by Lee Ellis won it in extra time. Perugini scored the tying goal while an own goal by TWO put Saskatchewan up just after the break.

TWU-Alberta on Sunday. These teams don't like each other so it should be a good showdown.

Canada West Semi's:

Weather, minus 10, with winds of 25 kms/hour - phuqing cold.

4-0 Alberta. A very entertaining game with UBC pushing the attack while Alberta countered quickly and effectively. Gillespie, particulalry was effective in this regard. The game marred somewhat by the frozen pitch whcih mad efooting treacherous (although the second game saw more players in turf shoes, so less slipping)

The first goal was at 40 minute mark as Gillespie found an unmarked Junior Castrillon who knocked it in off the post. UBC continued to push and forced a couple of excellent saves from Alberta's keeper Devon Fraser before the half. Second half started the same way with BC pressing in search of an equalizer. Alberta continued to counter effectively and 6 minutes into the second half, a very nice pass from Hilaire Kamden found Castrillon who again slotted it home nicely. UBC lost their form at this point and Alberta started to take the game to them. On the hour mark, A cheeky flick from Castrillon found the net and gave the alberta Striker the natural hattrick. 3 minutes later, Brett Bachelu made a nice run with the ball and dribbled his way into space to slot home a left footed shot from 20 yards out. BC lost out on a chance at a consolation goal with just a few minutes left when the official missed a hand ball in the box by Alberta. Game ended 4-0, full credit to Alberta who countered well, and to BC who pressed the attack throughout the game. All of Junior's goals were very well taken.

Second game was a travesty as TWU sneaks out with a 2-1 victory in a dreary and poorly played second game. TWU definitely the least deserving of two undeserving teams in this one. Content to trade artillery fire for most of the first half, there was little excitement or flow to the game. U of S slightly more ambitious in the first 20 minutes and managed a couple of marginal scoring chances. Near the end of the half, TWU got a lucky bounce and took off 3 on 2 and managed to butcher it terribly. A fitting end to the half, frankly. The game turned in the second, however, as TWU conceded a terrible Own Goal on a harmless cross knocked in off the head of Mark Peters. TWU started to push forward, and although their offensive plan consisted of long balls upo the wings, coupled with diving and whining to win free kicks, the game did open p a little. As a result Saskatchewan's Jordan Schidlowsky had four excellent chances to put in a second all of which were partially saved by the TWU keeper in desperate dives at the ball. The failure to capitalize would haunt Saskatchewan 3.5 minutes into injury time when the official, desperate to prove his impartiality, called a phantom foul on Dwayne Gareau. This call was brutal, not only was their no contact, but the TWU player neither felt compelled to dive or whine as he lost control of the ball. His look of shock at the call said it all. IN fairness to the ref, it was not he who failed to stop a bouncing, mi**** seeing eye ball free kick that somehow dribbled into the Saskatchewan net. The U of S keeper will be seeing that goal in his sleep for years to come. Scorer for TWU was Nicola Perugini.

Extra time. Brutal officating continues. First TWU is given a free kick when Keegan Thomas brutally assaults the the elbow of a TWU player with his chin, and moments later a Saskatchewan break is called back as the official fails to play advantage, killing an odd man rush for Saskatchewan. The "golden goal" is perhaps fitting as a TWU player launches a long aimless ball just inside of the Saskachewan half and it drifts...and drifts...and drifts...and nearly brings rain before it drops into the top corner of the net. Saskatchewan Keeper Johnathon Neufled will be having nightmares in Stereo for decades. Two brutal goals to hand TWU a victory. And I have no idea who scored the final TWU goal, the ball was not in a position where I pay attention to the player, and the play, frankly didn't warrant any more attention that I was giving.

Neither team deserved to win, a reasonable world would simply declare Alberta Canada West champs. TWU was terrrible, Saskatchewan only marginally better. An horror own goal and two howlers...at least the teams had the decency not to play 30 minutes of extra time and go to penalties. The game didn't deserve that drama.

So, Sunday, the final is between Alberta and TWU, and with any justice, TWU will get thrashed. UBC plays Saskatchewan in the third place game, and again, with any justice, UBC wins. Because today, despite loosing 4-0, they were the second best team that played.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

TWU started to push forward, and although their offensive plan consisted of long balls upo the wings, coupled with diving and whining to win free kicks, the game did open p a little.

This is exactly how TWU behaved when they were in Edmonton. I know both the Bears and Calgary Dinos hate them with a passion. Hopefully ALberta cleans their clocks today. I would hate to see a team like TWU represent Canada West in Montreal.

THanks for the game reports. Junior has always been silky smooth in front of goal.

Third place game:

U of S comes out with little drive or passsion, still feeling the pain of the loss to TWU on Friday I think. UBC opens the scoring within 5 minutes on a goal by Dave Wong (may have been Brian Gebbie, I saw 11, the people behind me insisted at half time it was 21). UBC takes the game to Sakatchewan for the first 25 minutes. Sakatchewan seeming finds the on switch however, and the tide permanently changes as Saskatchewan pushes forward agressively. Seemingly for naught as several glorious scoring chances are muffed. Dwayne Gareau having the best, alone in front of the net, but loosing his footing and allowing the UBC keeper a chance to smother the ball. UBC, although back on their heels, keep an effective counter attack so the last 20 minutes were very entertaining and those of us in the stands were left wondering if an equalizing goal was in the offing, or whether UBC would score on the counter. The second half saw Saskatchewan continue to push forward and again several scoring chances were generated: But no goals. At approximately 60 minutes (sorry forgot to bring a watch) UBC's Duff Marrs leaves the ref no choice but to red card him as he pulls down Jordan Schidowlsky from behind just outside the box. He was the last man, and got his marching papers. Saskatchewan continued to press, and to UBC's credit, they continued to strike back on quick counters to keep the Saskatchewan defence honest. Finally, with approximately 5 minutes left in the match, previously snake bit Schidowlsky pounces on a ball in the box and puts it into the back of the net. Not content to take it into extra time, Saskatchewan continues to drive at the outnumbered Thunderbirds and just 2 minutes from Time, 5th year player Terry Fusco slots home the winner, although the UBC keeper really should have stopped the shot. The U of S wins 2-1. A thoroughly entertaining game, and some outstanding skill showed by many players on both teams.

Canada West Final:

TWU and an overmatched game official conspire to make the final a boring display of stop and start soccer. TWU foulded, and dived and whinned all game, and the ref felt compelled to call every little infraction. He really had a brutal game, and choke out the life that Alberta tried to bring to the game. Alberta scored first on a goal by Jordan Gillespie, although TWU had forced two outstanding saves from the Alberta Keeper Devon Fraser. TWU tied the game at about the 40 minute mark on a nce strike by Jason Flint. Alberta really took the game to TWU, although both relied to much on the long ball. Second half was also pretty dull soccer and it looked destined for extra time when a nice run by Jordan Gillespie through 3 TWU defenders and a perfect pass onto the foot of Junior Castrillon resulted in an Alberta goal 5 minutes from time. Castrillion's goal his fouth of the tournament. Final score 2-1. Alberta fully deserving of the win. And personally, I have to say I am glad to see TWU lose. They are a successful team but they play an unattractive long ball style, they dive, they whine and they are very dirty.

Game MOM has to be Jordan Gillespie. Tournament MVP is a toss up between Junior Castrillion and Devon Fraser. The scored 4 of Alberta's 6 goals while the latter made some brilliant saves when the outcome of both games were still in doubt. I was very impressed with Alberta and they were clearly the best team of tournament.

Thanks Gordon, hope you thawed out. Funny, but TWU was like that when they played as a community college side as well. Who was, in your opinion, the MVP of the tournament? :D

After some careful additional consideration I think I'd give it to Devon Fraser. Against UBC he made two outstanding saves when it was still 1-0 for Alberta. Similarly, against TWU, he made two brilliant saves when the score was 0-0. In both cases a goal may have changed the complexion of the game. I hate to turn up my nose at goals, and Castrillion scored 4, including both game winners. But Fraser's saves, I thought, were huge.

Also noticed that the Canada West All stars were announced on Thurday. There must have been some outside backs in BC who were huge everywere but in Saskatchewan because neither Hilaire Kamden from Alberta nor Amilcar Prime of Saskachewan made either the first or second team and both looked to be the class of the conference based on the games I saw in Saskatoon.

Canada West Announces Men's Soccer All-Stars

October 30, 2003

Vancouver, BC - The Canada West office is pleased to announce its Men's Soccer All-Stars and Major Award winners for the 2003 season.

The Canada West Men’s Soccer Championship kicks-off tomorrow, Friday Oct 31st in Saskatoon, SK. The #2 seeded Alberta Golden Bears will battle the #3 UBC Thunderbirds at 11:30am CST, followed by the #1 seeded Trinity Western Spartans versus the host and #4 seed Saskatchewan Huskies at 2:00pm CST.

The Bronze medal game will be played Sunday Nov 2nd at 11:30am CST followed by the Gold medal game at 2:00pm CST. The Canada West Champion will represent the league at the CIS National Championships to be held Nov 6th-9th in Montreal, PQ.

UMBRO MVP AWARD

AARON RICHER BRITISH COLUMBIA

ADIDAS ROOKIE OF THE YEAR AWARD

NICOLA PERUGINI TRINITY WESTERN

COACH OF THE YEAR

LEN VICKERY ALBERTA

ALAN ALDERSON TRINITY WESTERN

FAIR PLAY AWARD

UNIVERSITY OF LETHBRIDGE

FIRST TEAM

GOALKEEPER

DEVON FRASER ALBERTA

FULLBACKS

AARON RICHER BRITISH COLUMBIA

COLIN RIETVELD ALBERTA

PAUL BALLARD TRINITY WESTERN

NEIL MORROW ALBERTA

MIDFIELDERS

JORDAN GILLESPIE ALBERTA

SEAN BATTISTONI VICTORIA

TREVOR ROSENCRANS TRINITY WESTERN

MICHAEL RIEHL TRINITY WESTERN

FORWARDS

STEVE FRAZAO BRITISH COLUMBIA

BRETT BACHELU ALBERTA

SECOND TEAM

GOALKEEPER

CHRIS CECIL TRINITY WESTERN

FULLBACKS

JAG SAJAN VICTORIA

DEREK WILSON VICTORIA

MIKE BARNEY TRINITY WESTERN

PAUL SEYMOUR BRITISH COLUMBIA

MIDFIELDERS

MARK KORTHUIS ALBERTA

DWAYNE GAREAU SASKATCHEWAN

NICOLA PERUGINI TRINITY WESTERN

TERRY BELL BRITISH COLUMBIA

FORWARDS

JORDAN SCHIDLOWSKY SASKATCHEWAN

JASON FLINT TRINITY WESTERN

Hey Gordon, you realize the three Sask boys on U of A are all first and second team all-stars, not to mention a Manitoba product in the net. Ever lament they didn't stay closer to home?

Well, there is a fourth (Mike Kennedy) that wasn't on either team and yes, all four of them would make quite a difference for the U of S. I'm told that the U of A and U of C can offer better financial inducements (don't know how true that is) so it is likely going to be a recurring theme. Obviously other factors come into play: The U of A has some programs that the U of S does not offer and is a very fine school overall. Not to mention a successful soccer program. None of the players on the U of S team begrudges them the choice. Incidently, because of the large numbers from both teams who played on the Storm or in youth leagues together, the U of A players gave the U of S team very warm congrats on their win in the third place game, probably 75% of the team game on to the pitch as the game concluded.

UBC also starts a Manitoba striker, Adrian something or other. With the success of the Manitoba senior leagues, I am surprised that neither Manitoba nor Winnipeg have a soccer program. Cheeta, any thoughts on this (trusting you are over the green & white perpetrated bitchslapping on Sunday :D)

Alberta coach Len Vickery has said in the past it is the ability to offer a year-round program that lends itself to recruiting. I believe Alberta usually go on tour in Feb/March, last time to Florida. There are the Condon scholarships (about $1800 I think) available to all athletes in Alberta but I believe you must be an Alberta resident to be eligible.

Alberta also has 2 starters who are international students: Kamdem (Cameroon) and Rasmussen (Denmark).

I hope Saskatchewan's program continues to progress. There are some great players coming out of Sask and it would be a shame if many continued to leave. I know U Regina had a team that played an exhibition schedule this year.

Manitoba's lack of a soccer program has always suprised. Maybe it's because 2 Manitoba schools would need to join Canada West, for travel reasons.

Well, there'd be three schools for Manitoba to choose from. University of Manitoba, Winnipeg and Brandon. All are members of Canada West in other sports and seem to make it work. Don't know why none of the Manitoba schools are involved in CIS soccer. If I'm not mistaken, the Bisons won a national championship in 1978.

Cheeta may know better and hopefully he'll ring in here.

Well, there'd be three schools for Manitoba to choose from. University of Manitoba, Winnipeg and Brandon. All are members of Canada West in other sports and seem to make it work. Don't know why none of the Manitoba schools are involved in CIS soccer. If I'm not mistaken, the Bisons won a national championship in 1978.

Cheeta may know better and hopefully he'll ring in here.

Archived