Article on Hume from Liverpool.co.uk

An Observer

Hume affairs Oct 21 2003

By Rob Brady, Liverpool Echo

IAIN HUME is approaching an important time in his life.

With a new manager to impress, he is about to leave his teenage years and is soon to become a father.

Yet he has remained impressively focused on the pitch as he seeks to cement himself in Brian Little's long- term plans.

Hume said: "I try to keep my mind on what I do day to day at Tranmere.

"With a baby due, it's a bit hectic, but I have to keep my mind sorted.

"Football comes first. I want to consolidate myself in the squad, get a few more goals and get us up the league table."

Hume has arguably been Rovers' best player in the two games so far under Little.

He came off the bench to score a great volley which sparked a second-half revival at Blackpool. And it was his superb right-foot curler on Saturday that proved the catalyst for victory over Oldham.

The Canadian international said: "That was one of my best, especially because of the situation the club has been in. We have not had a win in so many games and it helped get us level.

"With the new manager coming in there is a spark about the club. Confidence is picking up.

"The manager told everyone they would start with a clean slate. Hopefully I have taken my chance.

"I'm hoping he likes me and I stay in his plans."

Little is likely to stick with a 3-5-2 formation for the visit of Swindon Town tonight (7.45pm).

He said: "You have to have a solid pattern of play which you believe in. It's not about me knowing what the best eleven is, it's about looking at a system and knowing which people can play in that.

"If we were the best team in the division I would pick a team that would play the same way week in, week out.

"At the moment I couldn't win an argument saying we are the best, so I have to use a bit of coaching and tactics to try and give our teama chance."

Swindon had an excellent start to the season, but have slumped in recent weeks.

A 3-0 defeat at struggling Chesterfield has left Andy King's men floundering in mid-table.

Even so, Little has warned against complacency.

"Swindon had th e ir poores t result of the season at the weekend," he said. "I know Andy King very well and he will have said a few words to them afterwards. I think they will come here very strong."

The Rovers boss is unconcerned by the fact he is still to appoint an assistant manager.

Little said: "I will talk to some people this week and maybe next.

"If I'm really impressed a decision might be made, but it's not top of my priority list.

"Lots of things are right at the moment, but I would see in the fullness of time either someone within being directly responsible for working with me or someone from outside coming in."

* Defender Graham Allen has escaped with a ban after his outburst at referee Steve Tomlin.

Allen was fined £500 for his reaction after being sent off against Bristol City last month, and warned over his future conduct.

Actually, being someone who lives in the UK and married to a midwife, they do have kids here younger than in Canada by and large (especially those that dont go to university). I believe the UK has the largest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe.

Anyway, at least we know Hume can score both on the pitch and off.

How soon can we cap him(or her?) We need a pre natal national development team. If we're serious about qualifying for the The World Cup in 2026, then the CSA better not let another future talent slip through thier fingers. Really, what we need to do is start capping the gleam in current national teamers eyes. Capping them before they are born might be too late. We need to cap them before they are conceived.

quote:Originally posted by James

How soon can we cap him(or her?) We need a pre natal national development team. If we're serious about qualifying for the The World Cup in 2026, then the CSA better not let another future talent slip through thier fingers. Really, what we need to do is start capping the gleam in current national teamers eyes. Capping them before they are born might be too late. We need to cap them before they are conceived.

Funny, the pre natal national development team. :)

Archived