Canada (U-20) v. Paraguay (U-20)

An Observer

Even with the loss, overall this team seems more competitive in its warm-up friendlies than the previous u20 team did before Argentina 2001. And with so many regulars missing & being replaced in some cases by really young kids, I think this still bodes well for UAE next month.

agreed. It will be interesting to see what they do with Hume, Belotte, Godfrey, Rayner, and Marshal back. Although, it should be say they had two overagers in Frominades and Williams.

I would like to see Canada play with Belotte and Godfrey upfront and Hume just behind them as he played for Tranmere on the weekend. Then you could have Simpson on the left, and Matondo, DiTullio, or Ledgerwood on the right and Hutchinson and Chin/Dutra in the middle. Lemire/Hughes could be speedy replacements up front.

Guest Jeffery S.

From a Paraguay daily paper, ABC, link to original is:

http://www.abc.com.py/supartic.php?fec=2003-10-20&pid=74437&sec=22

Just a note that Panama had two wins and a draw, Paraguay a win and a draw and a loss, we and Mexico a win and two losses in this tournament. All games were tight it should be said, we ended up with three goals for and four against.

Sub 20: Paraguay defeats Canada in Panama

Paraguay beat Canada 1-0 on the last day of the international under 20 tournament being held in the Rommel Fernández Stadium in Panamá.

Nelson ‘‘Maradona’’ Romero scored the goal that gave Paraguay their only win in Panama, in a game played yesterday against Canada.

The Paraguay goal was scored by Romero in m. 35, and the Canadians could not turn the game around due to their lack of offensive spirit and the strength of the Paraguay defense, which is their finest virtue, as reported by the Spanish press agency EFE.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

From a Paraguay daily paper, ABC, link to original is:

http://www.abc.com.py/supartic.php?fec=2003-10-20&pid=74437&sec=22

Just a note that Panama had two wins and a draw, Paraguay a win and a draw and a loss, we and Mexico a win and two losses in this tournament. All games were tight it should be said, we ended up with three goals for and four against.

Sub 20: Paraguay defeats Canada in Panama

Paraguay beat Canada 1-0 on the last day of the international under 20 tournament being held in the Rommel Fernández Stadium in Panamá.

Nelson ‘‘Maradona’’ Romero scored the goal that gave Paraguay their only win in Panama, in a game played yesterday against Canada.

The Paraguay goal was scored by Romero in m. 35, and the Canadians could not turn the game around due to their lack of offensive spirit and the strength of the Paraguay defense, which is their finest virtue, as reported by the Spanish press agency EFE.

Considering that Canada was missing several key players these results give reason to be optimistic going into the WYC. Also consider that we played in a similar tournament just prior to the 2001 WYC and, if I am not mistaken, the results were much more lopsided against us at that time. Chile and Australia were some of our apponents at that time

Yes, I am very encouraged by this. I hope Marshall can be yanked free form his NCAA duties. And I really like the idea of having Belotte, Godfrey and Hume on the field at the same time. LeMire or Hughes or ??? could come on as a striking sub if needed.

Now, as for the remainder of their preparation, who knows what's next? G-L? They are about a month away from their opener vs. Brazil. I imagine they have a few more games line-up in preparation. I would love to see them play a U-23 team or maybe one of the MLS teams. Playing against full-grown men is excellent preparation.

Article from CSA website.

A few interesting tidbits. Seems Hutchinson only played the first match.

David Edgar who did not even make our U-17 side this year stated two of the matches and played 2 1/2 games in total. Haineult who was the U-17 captain only played 20 minutes in comparison. Hughes played more than Lemire which may suggest that he has earned a place for the U-20 tournament (probably at Chursky's and Todaro's expense from the side that qualified). And fellow underager Ledgerwood also starter all the matches. Finally, the overagers in Williams and Fronmadis did not play all the minutes and were mostly subbed in or off in the matches.

Finally, the next U-20 side is looking quite impressive now with Hughes, Lali, Sheppard, and Wilson up front or attacking midfielders; Gyaki, Ledgerwood, and De Jong in the midfield, and Hainault, Edgar, and Kassaye in the back. With Lindley in goal. And then you also have young players Lombardo, Peters and possibly De Guzman. The future is bright

Canada Finishes Tournament With A Win

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Men’s Youth (U-20) team posted a 2-1 win against Mexico on Friday, October 17th and a 0-1 loss to Paraguay on Sunday, October 20th closing the Torneo Mondialito Sub-20 Tournament in Panama City, Panama with a 1-2-0 record. Canada lost 2-1 to Panama on Wednesday, October 15th.

Canadian forward Dylan Hughes scored in the 16th minute for his second in the tournament placing Canada ahead of Mexico leading into the half. Mexico would even the score in the 70th minute before Chris Lemire earned Canada the game winner on a penalty kick in the 81st minute after substituting in for Hughes twenty minutes earlier.

“It’s not everyday that you get a win against Mexico, especially outside of Canada.” said head coach Dale Mitchell. “We were smarter defensively tonight and capitalized on our opportunities. We will need to be every bid as good against Paraguay on Sunday.”

In the last of three games Canada played in the tournament, Paraguay would score an uncontested goal in the 35th minute leaving Canada with only the one win on Friday against Mexico.

“We were not sharp enough tonight to get a result against a South American opponent,” said Mitchell following the loss to Paraguay.

“Most of our boys are not accustomed to three games in five days at this level. The tournament has been a beneficial glimpse of what the World Youth Championships will be like.”

October 15, 2003 - Torneo Mondialito Sub-20

Estadio Rommel Pernandez - Panama City, Panama

Panama 2(1)

Canada 1(0)

Goals: Canada – Dylan Hughes (85); Panama – (5, PK), (65)

Cautions: Canada – David Fronmadis (6), Jason DiTullio (71), Dyland Hughes (90)

Canada: 1-Danial Fernandes, 3-David Edgar, 4-Kevin Harmse, 6-Andres Arango, 7-Jason DiTullio, 8-Gordon Chin (Chris Lemire, 67), 11-David Fronimades (Dylan Hughes, 70), 13-Atiba Hutchinson, 14-Chris Williams, 16-Nikolas Ledgerwood, 17-Sita-Tatay Matondo

October 17, 2003 - Torneo Mondialito Sub-20

Mexico 1(0)

Canada 2(1)

Goals: Canada – Dylan Hughes (16), Chris Lemire (81, PK); Mexico – (70)

Cautions: Canada – Arango (26), David Edgar (87)

Canada: GK-Andrew Oliveri, 3-David Edgar, 4-Kevin Harmse, 5-Waldemar Dutra (11-David Fronimades, 75), 6-Andres Arango, 7-Jason DiTullio, 8-Gordon Chin, 10-Dylan Hughes (Chris Lemire, 61), 15-Josh Simpson, 16-Nikolas Ledgerwood, 17-Sita-Tatay Matondo (14-Chris Williams,70)

Subs not used: Hainault, Fernandes, Dave Simpson

October 19, 2003 - Torneo Mondialito Sub-20

Paraguay 1(1)

Canada 0(0)

Goals: Paraguay (35)

Canada: GK-Andrew Oliveri, 4-Kevin Harmse, 6-Andres Arango, 7-Jason DiTullio, 8-Gordon Chin, 10-Dylan Hughes (Chris Lemire, 60), 11-David Fronimades (Waldemar Dutra, 46), 14-Chris Williams (3-David Edgar, 46), 15-Josh Simpson, 16-Nikolas Ledgerwood (Dave Simpson, 46), 17-Sita-Tatay Matondo (Andrew Hainault, 70)

Subs not used: Fernandes

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Considering that Canada was missing several key players these results give reason to be optimistic going into the WYC. Also consider that we played in a similar tournament just prior to the 2001 WYC and, if I am not mistaken, the results were much more lopsided against us at that time. Chile and Australia were some of our apponents at that time

We lost to the Aussies and I think we drew Chile on a Canizalez free kick, or did we win it? In any case we did not lose to Chile.

As for upcoming preparation, we are going to Turkey in mid November to a rather beautiful spot on the Med coast, where the idea is to play the Turkey national U-20 side and perhaps another European side going to UAE also doing there prep in the same area.

We are going to have to call in one or two more keepers. From what I understand about us going with the block that was in Charleston, I think Karim will be called, and one of either Rayner or Djekanovic, allowing that we take three keepers.

Marshall should come amongst defenders, and the three strikers mentioned. Don't know if anyone else is missing apart from these.

Just read the lineups for the last two games posted on the CSA site. Anyone else notice Atiba did not play the last two games? Certainly, he would have made a difference. Appears they flew him in for the first game, then back for Osters' game today. Hope he didn't get hurt.

Good preparation for our U-20 team considering we were missing some attacking players. Panama look good at this level, but I think Canada is the best team at the U-20 level with the US in Concacaf.

I'm a bit surprise by the fact that an U-23 player started 2 games in goal for us. I read on Bigsoccer that Fernandes gave a bad gaol against Panama in the first game, after that Olivieri started the last 2 games. BTW it seems that Olivieri will be the starting keeper for the El Salvador series.

You would think that if they were going to go with Fernandes at the U20 WC, that they would have given him more PT. Looks like it will be Rayner, Srdjan or Karim. At least Olivieri got some action prior to the El Salvador series.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

You would think that if they were going to go with Fernandes at the U20 WC, that they would have given him more PT. Looks like it will be Rayner, Srdjan or Karim. At least Olivieri got some action prior to the El Salvador series.

I also think that Fernandes will not start for us in the U-20 WC. I don't know who's the best among the other 3 keepers. I think that Karim has the edge, in November he will be at the end of the NCAA season, having played 20 or more games in 3 months. Are the other 2 playing some games with their club at this point.

As for Olivieri, I'm glad for him, I played against him with my youth club when I was younger and he's very good. He's not your typical canadian tall canadian keeper, he is 5-10 but very quick.

Guest Jeffery S.

Re Fernandes: Seems a ball went through his legs on a close shot for the 2nd Panama goal. Okay, they lost 2-1 to the host team, not exactly a crisis.

Still doesn't make sense to not play him, after all, isn't this all about preparing the team for UAE?

By the way Rayner has signed for Port Talbot, at the bottom of Wales league, don't know if he is in shape. And Djekanovic is starting for his club in Serbia, 3rd tier. As for Karim, they started the league well but have been blown out with a lot of goals against in recent matches. So really none of our keepers are what you call shining at a high club level.

I,m assuming that Fernandes fell out of favor because of the Panama tournament. Normally Fernandes should've started at least 2 games and maybe all of them because it's a preparation for our U-20 teams. But the fact is that after the first game, Fernandes did not play, I don't understand why?

As for the other keepers I don't know whose the favourite to be #1. The gk situation has never been clear with with this team.

Archived