Wanna see the future USNT style of play?

Crazy_Yank

Watch the Chicago Fire. They are tied for the best record in MLS, and lead the league in goals scored. They play a beautiful possession soccer game without a true play maker. On defense they pressure everyone all over the field, forcing their opponents into mistakes. Chicago can counter attack extremely fast. They have speed at every position. San Jose play a very similar style. It's no coincedence that these are the two best teams. I honestly both are good enough to finish in the top 3 in Mexico. More so Chicago because they have awesome depth. Every single American starter (9 out of 11) has been capped by the US within the last 12 months. Every single American player was been capped at some level. All their foreigners play for their national teams.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Watch the Chicago Fire. They are tied for the best record in MLS, and lead the league in goals scored. They play a beautiful possession soccer game without a true play maker. On defense they pressure everyone all over the field, forcing their opponents into mistakes. Chicago can counter attack extremely fast. They have speed at every position. San Jose play a very similar style. It's no coincedence that these are the two best teams. I honestly both are good enough to finish in the top 3 in Mexico. More so Chicago because they have awesome depth. Every single American starter (9 out of 11) has been capped by the US within the last 12 months. Every single American player was been capped at some level. All their foreigners play for their national teams.

Don't they (Chicago) play in a narrow, short field with football markings? I've only seen them play twice on the television so its hard for me to judge their style or quality. But it does seem as if there is an unwritten MLS rule that precludes pressure on the ball in the middle third of the field that all teams respect. At least, thats the way it looks on Saturdays.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Don't they (Chicago) play in a narrow, short field with football markings? I've only seen them play twice on the television so its hard for me to judge their style or quality. But it does seem as if there is an unwritten MLS rule that precludes pressure on the ball in the middle third of the field that all teams respect. At least, thats the way it looks on Saturdays.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

The Fire's home stadium is Soldier Field, which is a perfect sized pitch. While Soldier Field was being rebuilt they played on a small field owned by a D3 college. Wider fields allow them to better exploit their player's set of skills.

Archived