Frank Yallop should be the man

Champs

I really think Frank Yallop has the experience as a coach to take are national team to the world cup. I have no idea why Miller has choosen these players. Thats the problem in Canada we need someone that knows the game. And I think Frank is the right man to do it. I personally think the following players should of got selected:

Hirscfeld GK

Onstad GK

Mckenna D/f

Pozniak D

Nsaliwa D/M

Jazic D/M

Reda D

Pizzolitto D

Bircham M

DeGuzman M

Staltieri D/M

Bent M

Aguair M

Imhoff M

Nash M

DeRosario F

Peshcosolido F

Radzinski F

My Starting Eleven would be:

Hirscfeld

Pozniak

Mckenna Reda Jazic

Staltieri© Aguair Bircham DeGuzman

Radzinski DeRosario

I understand that we need the veterans in there too. Thats why I put this team together. Players like Atiba, Canizalez, Hume, Friend their all farely young, you cant just put them into the national team picture when you have players like Aguair, Radzinski, DeVos, and Staltieri. These players play for top teams in Europe. So use these players. Thats the reason why I think Yallop will do the job, because he uses his players wisely. (example) When he had Donovan and

Ronnie Ekelund upfront. DeRosario came in as a sub an was playing good, so were Ekelund and Donovan. So he tried something new and put Donovan Midfield and then started DeRosario and Ekelund upfront. So I really think he would do the job really good.

You're pretty much right about Yallop and I agree about your

choices, but I don't think you've really considered the availability

of players for this match.

Generally you can pick any player you want and FIFA rules allow them

to leave the club, but considering many of our players are still vying

for first team positions it becomes a club vs. country issue. Watson,

Fenwick, Corrazin, De Vos, and Pesch all know first hand about that.

Stalteri was supposed to leave this year's Gold Cup after the

first round should Canada have advanced. Yes, politics come into play.

WCQ is a long process, and we should include the younger ones

in A LOT of friendlies or tournaments to prepare. What if our front

line gets injured? You better have a Hume, Belotte, or Canizales

available. Or do we rely on McKenna upfront? I think Yallop has a good grasp on this, as well as some familiarity with CONCACAF

teams and conditions. But Miller is no slouch either. We just have

to wait and see.

But be assured of the following facts. Radzinski and De Guzman will

only show up when the match is MAJOR (Canada vs. T&T/USA/Mexico/CRC)

and doesn't conflict with their club games/interests. So which game

would you rather have him play? T&T or Monserrat? USA or El Salvador? It's not that easy to be the Canadian coach. :(

quote:Originally posted by Champs

I really think Frank Yallop has the experience as a coach to take are national team to the world cup. I have no idea why Miller has choosen these players. Thats the problem in Canada we need someone that knows the game. And I think Frank is the right man to do it.

I just quoted the relevant part to do with my reply. I have never met Mr. Yallop so I can't comment about him. Didn't Yallop and Miller played together in the national team? Wouldn't their knowledge of the game be similar?

Yallop and Miller are two totally different people. I don't know a lot about Miller's background, except he was born in Scotland, raised in Langley and was in the Glasgow Rangers youth setup as a teen in 86. He spent most (all?) of his career in Scotland and went from playing for Hamilton Academicals in the Scottish 2nd div to coaching them. From there I think he went pretty much directly to the Abbotsford soccer assocaition where he has been their technical director before being chosen by Holger as an assistant to replace Twamley.

Yallop spent 13 years with Ipswich Town. He's got his 'A' liscence from US soccer and a English FA Preliminary badge (whatever that is). While still playing in MLS he helped coach P40 for MLS, a program that brings in the best HS and college-aged players and lets them jump straight to the pros. Anyway from there he went to be an assistant with DC United and then a head coach with San Jose where he won a title in his first season.

At the start of this, his third season, Yallop was dealt a tough hand. He had lost his keeper Joe Cannon who moved to France. Wade Barrett went to Denmark, Zak Ibsen, another starting defender was gone. Ecuador international Ariel Graziani left and so did ES intl Ronald Cerritos. Plus they lost DeRosario for most of the year.

What Yallop did this year is amazing to me. He grabbed three LA cast-offs (Brian Mullan, Brian Ching and Craig Waibel) and is starting all of them. He got Waibel off waivers (20 starts this year), Ching in a draft after he went to the Aleague (6 goals in 15 games before getting hurt) and traded a pick for Mullan (another six goals). He used a raw rookie (Todd Dunivant) in the back for all 27 games adn another rookie Chris Roner has started 19 games. Add in two untested guys (Jamil Walker, three goals this yaer and Eddie Robinson 13 straight starts until he too got injured) that have contributed and Yallop has conjured the best team in MLS with a bunch of kids, some never weres, castoffs, Manny Lagos, an aged Jeff Agoos, Landon Donovan and a sometimes healthy Ronnie Ecklund.

Plus they've had bad luck with injuries. What does this tell me? 1) Yallop can find players quickly to fill holes and can change five starters and still keep a winning team 2) he can suffer injuries and still put players intto his system without having everything fall apart. 3) he's got a pretty good eye for talent after grabbing Dunivant, Mullan and Ching and turning them into something useful. or maybe 4) Landon Donovan is so good that you can throw any 10 guys around him and they'll win. No I think the first three are more accurate.

I know he hasn't coached long, but he's been very successful, is a former nat and is Canadian. I'm hoping personality issues aren't still lingering from 97, but personally I want Yallop and no one else.

So to compare him Miller just because they used to play together is big stretch.

cheers,

matthew

re; champs team in the post that started the thread. I like the team you have chosen but I also have to question why Nash gets in ahead of Brennan. Although Nash has shown he is much better than just about any other Canadian at set pieces, You can't expect Nash to play 90 minutes, and you can't compare Nash to Brennan in terms of pace. It seems to me that Jim has been able to get some usefull crosses from the left side too.

re: the coach, does any one have any scoops on who has applied other than to say Yallop is the man. If the CSA demands that the coach know CONCACAF, does this limit us to these guys?

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Yallop? Experience? A few years at Sj and a a few in change as an MLS assisstant?

No thanks. Maybe later but not yet.

Bruce Arena was in the same situation when he took over the USNT. He's done all right for himself. Yallop has played in England's top flight, gone thru concacaf's qualifying, and is one of the best MLS coaches. I think he's the best man for the job. He had San Jose kicking ass with whatever lineup he threw out there. During the first half of the season at times he was missing 5 to 6 starters due to injuries and national team call ups. He's a perfect fit for Canada. Although personally I would have liked to see Bora.

I understand that the CSA is planning to split the Coaching job and the one of Technical Director, which I think it is a good idea just based on workload. Also that they plan to look for a coach who has some experience in an enviroment similar to ours. In other words they will stay away from highly soccer evolved nations as Germany, Holland, England, Italy, etc. I guess it also means that the likes of Yallop are sol. (and sorry can't tell you where I heard this).

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I understand that the CSA is planning to split the Coaching job and the one of Technical Director, which I think it is a good idea just based on workload. Also that they plan to look for a coach who has some experience in an enviroment similar to ours. In other words they will stay away from highly soccer evolved nations as Germany, Holland, England, Italy, etc. I guess it also means that the likes of Yallop are sol. (and sorry can't tell you where I heard this).

How does this leave Yallop SOL? Played for Canada and coaches in the US. I can't think of any other nations with a similar environment besides Canada and the US.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

How does this leave Yallop SOL? Played for Canada and coaches in the US. I can't think of any other nations with a similar environment besides Canada and the US.

The name of Australia was mentioned that is why it may be think that Canada and/or the U.S. were not in the running. Don't know any more.

• 3 years later...

This is creepy. If someone wants to revive old threads, how about someone finding the interview with Hartell saying how MLS would draw 7000 at the new soccer stadium and the Lynx would likely outdraw them in the new stadium? It was funny then, and even better now.

Jason

Archived