Letter from Holger Osieck

ray

Yesterday I received a letter from former Canadian MNT coach, Holger Osieck, acknowledging the thank-you card signed by many Voyageurs. I would like to share the contents of the letter with you since it is surely meant for all of us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Toronto, Sept. 29th, 2003

Dear Ramon,

I would like to thank you and all Voyageurs (not only those who signed the card) for their interest in the Canadian National team and great support.

I was absolutely delighted when I received your card of appreciation with all good wishes last week.

Although I know some of you were not too happy that I didn’t participate in your chat forum, but I didn’t like to deal with people anonymously.

Whenever, however, I had the opportunity to talk to members of your group in person, I really enjoyed it and from my perspective we always had good and informative chats.

Looking back I am happy with a number of achievements: The approval of the blueprint gave our development program a solid basis and better funding; the new coaching structure set in place, will definitely help to develop the game in future; Above all the process of rejuvenating the National team. A great number of talented young players have been introduced into the program. The international exposure has been tremendously beneficial to their individual development. In order to improve their standards, however, they have to play permanently in a challenging environment (Premiership football).

I don’t want to touch all different issues now but I hope that down the road a compromise in the club-country situation can be reached, and that Canada will be able to host international games in venues that meet international standards. The controversy in regards to player selection will be an eternal issue, but whoever the coach may be, he will win games and pick the players he can rely on.

Again thank you very much, keep supporting the program and hopefully CANADA will make it to the next World Cup in 2006.

Yours sincerely,

Holger Osieck

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t mind telling you, I was very happy to have received this letter and it will remain an important keepsake for me.

Thanks to all who participated in this, another successful Voyageur project.

Cheers,

ray

I can't really say I sensed any bitterness, the way I read (including the fact there was something there to read at all).

As the Voyageur who probably had the most discussions with Holger in person (as far as I am aware) I want to concur with what Holger said in that respect. Thanks Holger.

Archived