Canada vs China [R]

Auger9

some articles:

Quebec trio clicks for Canada

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/story.asp?id=078FE2A3-D69B-468F-B8FE-5038814E360C

C'mon Even you can tell us

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/Women/2003/10/02/215358.html

Experience means ...

That sometimes you don't play

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/Women/2003/10/02/215357.html

China a true test of Canada's mettle

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1065046214460&call_pageid=1044529386722&col=1044529386490

Capitalizing on errors crucial to Canadians

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/story.asp?id=F94E3AF2-24BD-42A9-B011-902E4E9EF91A

and on a side note...Canada is in last place for the FIFA Fair Play crap:

JAPAN 867

CHINA PR 857

SWEDEN 848

BRAZIL 810

RUSSIA 791

GHANA 790

GERMANY 781

AUSTRALIA 767

USA 762

NORWAY 762

KOREA REP. 753

NIGERIA 752

KOREA DPR 733

FRANCE 705

ARGENTINA 657

CANADA 614

way to show 'em ladies!

No sooner do I post it.

Oh, Canada! I really had no faith in you!

The best part is, I won my bet (My friend said that Canada would win by two goals or more. I took that bet). No, that's the second best bit. The best bit is, we're through! Even if we didn't really deserve it much. Swiatek is an absolute heroine and a half.

No sooner do I post it.

Oh, Canada! I really had no faith in you!

The best part is, I won my bet (My friend said that Canada would win by two goals or more. I took that bet). No, that's the second best bit. The best bit is, we're through! Even if we didn't really deserve it much. Swiatek is an absolute heroine and a half.

quote:Originally posted by Elaine

glad we're on top, but upset that izzy's out b/c of injury. tough blow for her, as she's been working so hard, but i'm glad it doesn't look like a serious injury and she hopefully will be back up and going soon.

WAR CANADA!!

Well a good result...thanks to the keeper..and solid defending.

But I have said it before Latham is horrible, and yet Sportsnet thinks she is great..I dont get it..Lang plays both ways..Latham does nothing defensivly and loses ball 9 times of out 10...and they say she works hard...

Arrgh.

quote:Originally posted by Elaine

glad we're on top, but upset that izzy's out b/c of injury. tough blow for her, as she's been working so hard, but i'm glad it doesn't look like a serious injury and she hopefully will be back up and going soon.

WAR CANADA!!

Well a good result...thanks to the keeper..and solid defending.

But I have said it before Latham is horrible, and yet Sportsnet thinks she is great..I dont get it..Lang plays both ways..Latham does nothing defensivly and loses ball 9 times of out 10...and they say she works hard...

Arrgh.

Hmmmm....well I have a completely different take on it. I thought Canada played quite well. They seemed to be more the more intelligent team. I think you guys are being overly critical. It wasn't like China had all the possession and Canada just bunkered and prayed. Canada had their moments. Your backline is bad ass. Fast, intelligent, and worked very well together. Your goalkeeper impressed me too. Not enough communication between the midfield and forwards though. They didn't seem to link up very well, but they made due. All in all, an excellent win.

Hmmmm....well I have a completely different take on it. I thought Canada played quite well. They seemed to be more the more intelligent team. I think you guys are being overly critical. It wasn't like China had all the possession and Canada just bunkered and prayed. Canada had their moments. Your backline is bad ass. Fast, intelligent, and worked very well together. Your goalkeeper impressed me too. Not enough communication between the midfield and forwards though. They didn't seem to link up very well, but they made due. All in all, an excellent win.

I just saw a Canadian team with 3 of its 4 starters on Defence out injured, a midfielder hobbled by a hamstring problem; only a handful of players on the bench fit to play and its (arguably) best player only partially fit beat the "most technically skilled" team in the world. I am going to stow any criticism of style, skills or coaching for at least 24 hours and revel in it.

I just saw a Canadian team with 3 of its 4 starters on Defence out injured, a midfielder hobbled by a hamstring problem; only a handful of players on the bench fit to play and its (arguably) best player only partially fit beat the "most technically skilled" team in the world. I am going to stow any criticism of style, skills or coaching for at least 24 hours and revel in it.

Pheque ugly. Yeah you heard me! **** UGLY! We're in the semifinals! When we have four World Cups and then start playing ugly we can get jaded like Brazil and bemoan the fact that we're winning ugly. Right now we're winning and that's all that matters. Yeah we need to do some things if we want to try to keep our stature up in the coming years.

In the meantime, we play direct, we defend in numbers, we're aggressive in the tackle and we might hard for balls and try to disrupt the other team's attack. The long ball game isn't as pretty as total football, but when played well it's effective.

We played it well tonight. China one-touched it all night and the only goal came on a hit-and-hope that beat the offside trap. And we had two other strong chances, same as the Chinese IMO (the far post cross late in the second that the Chinese couldn't get to and the ball that fell to the left of our goal in the first half and was mis-hit). We're playing with make-shift defence. We finally flooded the midfield, pressed the ball and got our forwards back to close the gap between the mids and the forwards.

Five of our 10 outfield players are teenagers to boot! Come on we have the next 50 years to be negative about our national teams, let's try to enjoy the success we do get!

cheers,

matthew

Archived