Challenge Cup preview thread

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am not close enough to follow things, but could anyone post who is qualified for the Canadian amateur championship from each province as they qualify? Especially men, senior.

(PS late: I changed the header to the right name, thanks guys.)

Give you what I got. There most likely are more provinces completed their selections but these are the ones I've heard of.

Surrey United-BC

Calgary Callies-Alberta

Saskatoon Arsenal-Saskatchewan

Sokol SC-Manitoba

Kanata Soccer Post-Ontario

Halifax Athens United-Nova Scotia

All senior mens sides. Challenge Cup's coming up fast!

Guest Jeffery S.

Could you also remind us dummies when and where it will be played. And the format.

Is it possible that Wizards players will bolster Kanata, can they make major roster changes from who played in their regular seasons?

Kanata will not 'pick up' wizards players from this year . Once a player signs a pro contract, I beleive he is ineligible for amateur competition for 30 days from the time the case goes before the CSA. Unlike PDL players, signed CPSL players are considered pro. I don't know if thats the exact letter of the law, but its something like that. I know this because we had to go through the process earlier this year. I assure you that the line up that faces nationwide competition is the same one that won the Ontario Cup minus three players who have gone back to school or overseas to play (Cheers Loui). However, this doesn't mean that there aren't any ex Ottawa Wizards or other former pro players on KSP.

I hope this sets your mind at ease

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Pony

Kanata will not 'pick up' wizards players from this year . Once a player signs a pro contract, I beleive he is ineligible for amateur competition for 30 days from the time the case goes before the CSA. Unlike PDL players, signed CPSL players are considered pro. I don't know if thats the exact letter of the law, but its something like that. I know this because we had to go through the process earlier this year. I assure you that the line up that faces nationwide competition is the same one that won the Ontario Cup minus three players who have gone back to school or overseas to play (Cheers Loui). However, this doesn't mean that there aren't any ex Ottawa Wizards or other former pro players on KSP.

I hope this sets your mind at ease

I was really not uneasy about this, since knowing how things go in Canada I wouldn't be surprised by sudden roster changes before a final or tournament. Though I agree that a rule that says that all players had to be on the roster a month before is a good one, at least ensures no last minute roster tampering. If a player is technically pro or not I think is irrelevant, as i think any so-called "amateur" side could still pay a player a small salary or stipend, or a costs compensation, without that adulterating a non-pro concept.

If I weren't from BC I would be happy to see Kanata win, though I must admit it is hard enough for me to cheer for a team from Surrey.

One thing you must know is that most CPSL players are not pros. It all depends on the contract you sign. Some guys sign amateur contracts and still receive money, but their main source of income comes from elsewhere. If you are a pro and wish to play amateur again you must wait 30 days and apply for amateur status. Or you can wait 6 months from the end date of your last pro contract to gain amateur status. And I can be sure to tell you that no current wizards will be joining Kanata in QC.

My heart is with Manitoba but Kanata should win it.

Good luck to all

Okay, so we've got so far;

Surrey United-British Columbia

Calgary Callies-Alberta

Saskatoon Arsenal-Saskatchewan

Sokol SC-Manitoba

Kanata Soccer Post-Ontario

Panellinios-Quebec (a Montreal club?)

Halifax Celtic-Nova Scotia

The other Atlantic provinces must have wrapped up by now, no?

(Here's an interesting bit, for me at least. Kanata, Sokol, and Saskatoon Arsenal are in the same group. Kinda cool. Winner goes to the medal round! Losers go to, uhmm, home).

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

(Here's an interesting bit, for me at least. Kanata, Sokol, and Saskatoon Arsenal are in the same group. Kinda cool. Winner goes to the medal round! Losers go to, uhmm, home).

Sounds like bad news for Arsenal. Although there are many players in common, Arsenal are not as good as the U of S Huskies who were able to get some results against the Manitoba Senior teams in the late summer. My guess is that both Kanata and Sokol will not have too much difficulty in dispatching them providing they are bringing their "A" game. Arsenal have 9 players who can compete successfully at this level. They really need 13 or more to be competitive with the Kanatas, Sokols, and Surrey Uniteds of this world. I'd be pretty satisfied if they can finish top 6.

i played for surrey united for 1 season 3 years ago. hated the coaches, players, playing system, uniforms. everything. i did have some personal success, but being from out of town, was never given a real chance. i retired from soccer for physical, personal, and educational reasons after that. that said, the team is highly skillfull and would give the whitecaps a serious run for their money. having said that, surrey united are not the best club in b.c.

surrey united will play hard and entertaining, but won't win the cup.

Panellinios is a Montreal club. They are in the Parc-Ex neighbourhood mainly and play around Jarry Park. Their youth teams are traditionally talented but undisciplined, stocked with mainly kids of African and Greek immigrants.

The senior squad seems to be getting quite good, having supplied Matondo and Ribeiro to the Impact in 2003 and 2 more players for the CanAm Cup final.

Archived