Canada-Japan

eastcoaster

I thought I would start the thread today:

What do we need to do to beat Japan other that the obvious, which is play to our capabilities.

I would love to see Hooper move up to midfield. While I understand the logic in putting her in the back, right now we have no midfield. Without a midfield, Sinclair disappears. If Hooper can control the midfield, and she is more than capable of doing it despite being a striker, our fortunes might reverse. Replace Hooper in the back with Sasha Andrews.

Replace Matheson with Andrea Neil. Matheson has done nothing the last two games.

Replace Wilkinson with....Anyone. She is out of her league right now.

Don't pull a Holger...meaning have confidence in your bench. Subplayers if they are not doing well....even Kara Lang. She may be the media darling, and she is the future of this program, but at times she just kicks the ball and tries to run over people. She is young and will have some stinkers. dont be scared to sub her is she is.

Use Moscato, she is a great midfielder. If she is not matchfit, as some people have mentioned..why the hell is she on the team. If she is on the team, she should be ready to go. She would be a great mid second half sub.

Finally, stop kicking the ball to the other team. It is not under-8 soccer.

Lets hope we can pull it off tomorrow, for the sake of Elaine. She might jump of a bridge or something if we dont make the quarters

some articles:

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/story.asp?id=8BA46E14-67A8-4C9B-A167-09991A1695D6

Go big or go home

Canada must beat Japan to advance in World Cup play

John Korobanik

Journal Sports Writer

Friday, September 26, 2003

BOSTON - It has come down to this: 90 minutes of soccer to show the world what they can do, or blow a golden opportunity.

The Canadian women's soccer team has one simple, singular purpose now -- beat Japan on Saturday. Anything less than victory means they will be eliminated from the World Cup tournament and any respect they had gained on the international scene this year will be diminished.

"That would be the most disappointing thing," said striker Kara Lang. "We came here to prove Canada is becoming a soccer country. To lose that opportunity would be very disappointing."

Reeling from a disappointing 4-1 loss to Germany and an uninspiring 3-0 win over Argentina, the Canadians were left wondering Thursday if they have the mental strength to regain the confidence they've lost and the offence they can't find.

"I can't say the problem is mental," striker Christine Sinclair said following a players' meeting and a team practice. "A lot of it may be. But the teams here aren't the teams we played this summer. World Cup teams are a lot better and people have to understand that."

And the teams have figured out ways to break up Canada's primary offensive move -- airmail the ball from the back side to the forwards. Canada couldn't do it against Germany because they didn't have their usual size advantage and it didn't work much against Argentina because the South Americans used their speed to beat Canada to the balls.

"It was so frustrating against Argentina," said Sinclair. "Christine (Latham) and I barely ever got the ball."

Veteran Charmaine Hooper, Canada's most celebrated striker who has been forced into the defence because of injuries, insists Canada gained a lot of respect with its results this summer and the way it played -- tough, aggressive, battle-to-the-end style that moved them into the top 12 teams in the world.

"Whatever the reasons are for the way we've played here," she said, "what we have to remember is what got us here in the first place: fighting, battling, tackling, playing hard. There's no reason why we can't continue to do that.

"We have to look at the goal in front of us and that's to be successful in this tournament."

Hooper said the Canadians have lots of experience over the last few years and that should be enough for the players to deal with whatever nerves arise from being in the World Cup.

"I can't say a lack of experience is an excuse because it's not. In the last four years we've played about 63 games or something, so you can't say inexperience is a factor because it's not. That's just an excuse."

And being in a must-win situation against Japan shouldn't be anything new, she added.

"Last year at the U-19 world championships, a lot of these players played in that and, if anything, it was a a much bigger deal in Canada, in front of a home crowd and people have high expectations of you. I don't see any difference between that and this. If anything, that was a much larger scale than this."

It's a simple situation now, says veteran Andrea Neil who missed Wednesday's game because of a pulled hamstring but said she will be fit to play on Saturday.

"We have to perform for 90 minutes. If people need more motivation than that ... . I mean it's about getting a win and nothing else matters at this point. We have to do all the little things we haven't done the last two games and make sure we have a much more polished performance."

That means, says striker Kara Lang, who has struggled here, to "do what we do best. Play a simple game, the game that's brought us the success we've had the last few months."

Coach Even Pellerud has been juggling his lineup and formations all summer because of injuries and absences but said the team scored 41 goals in nine games before the World Cup and he's confident it has both the mental and physical abilities to show its mettle Saturday.

"I consider this team extremely strong, mentally," he said. "What's happened here surprises me. Saturday we have to play with confidence, aggressiveness, intensity."

Will that happen against Japan?

"Well, you never know that."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/Women/2003/09/26/210114.html

Time to show the world

Canada has to play up to their potential to advance past Japan tomorrow By TERRY JONES, EDMONTON SUN

BOSTON -- One thought. One suggestion. One question. I asked it again and again and again here yesterday. What would it be like to get to the Women's World Cup of soccer as allegedly the most improved team in the world and not show what kind of team you've become?

"Extremely, extremely disappointing,'' said star striker Christine Sinclair.

"We've got one game to get it together. That's what we're looking at. Either we can or we go home.

"The bottom line is we haven't played as well as we can and there is no getting around that. We've got to go out and prove to the world that the last two games weren't us.''

Canada goes against Japan at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro tomorrow. It's win, or go home an overhyped team which gagged on the biggest show in their sport.

EXPECTATIONS ARE HIGH

"The team which has played here isn't the team people have watched play around Canada this summer,'' said Sinclair, the winner of the golden boot and golden shoe at the FIFA U-19 Women's World Championships last summer and the co-leader in scoring at the Gold Cup qualifying tournament to get here.

"Coming into the tournament the expectation was that it would come down to this game against Japan and it has. We didn't play very well against Germany and Argentina but if we play well against Japan and go on ... if we beat Japan and go through, what's wrong with that? At this point, that's how we have to look at it.''

But to a woman, the thing is they want to show the world their stuff. And they haven't. Not even close.

A team which looked well-coached, confident, collected and composed for the last year and a half has played here like they'd never met each other before.

"I think we definitely haven't played to our potential,'' said 16-year-old Kara Lang.

"We know Canada isn't happy with the way we've played and we haven't been happy either. We know what we're capable of doing and if we don't do it now, we're going home. We have to iron everything out. We have to come together as a team again and do what we do best.

"It's been extremely frustrating. We know what we can do. I think a lot of it has been nerves. But to not show the world what kind of team we think we've become ... so far that's been the most disappointing thing.

"We came here to prove that Canada has become a soccer country. We don't want to lose this opportunity to show how far Canada has come.''

Charmaine Hooper has been there and done that with two previous editions of Canadian teams at the Women's World Cup. But they just wanted to prove Canada was competitive. This team came to prove that Canada had become one of the best teams in the world, not a three-and-out just-happy-to-be-here bunch.

"Of course it would be disappointing not to prove that, considering the last few months we've had. For us to fall short would be extremely disappointing.

"We came here to earn respect as a top team in the world. We have to start doing the things we did to get here - fighting, tackling, playing hard. There's no reason we can't do that. The bottom line now is just remember what got us here and go out and play that way. This is the World Cup. This is where it all must come together.''

Hooper doesn't believe it's a lack of experience thing.

She says much of this team is made up of the players, which showed everything they wanted to show here last summer at the FIFA U-19 Women's World Championships last year in Edmonton.

"In some ways that was a much bigger deal because it was in Canada and there was so much more pressure to perform. There were high expectations and Canada met them. I don't see any difference between this and that. We have to do the same thing - meet them.''

Andrea Neil, another three-time Canada World Cup player, says it's what they are all thinking about now ... to come here and not show the world what Canada has become would be far worse than what happened the other two trips.

"I can't put words to it. It would be devastating. We're far better than we were four years ago.

CANUCKS EXPECT A TOP TEAM

"We have to perform for 90 minutes. We can't let this slip away. We want this so badly.''

Even Pellerud said it's the same as a coach thinking of Canada going home without showing the world what these girls think they've become.

"That is the hardest thing for a coach. You want to show how the performance has improved, how the game has developed and how many great players we have now.''

Pellerud says he knows his team is being carved back home because people care now and have expectations.

"I consider that a compliment. Canadians expect us to be a top team now. So far we haven't managed.

"What has happened here so far is a surprise to me. In our nine games before we came here, we scored 41 goals.

"Now it comes down to showing how much they want this.

"This next game boils down to desire, ambition and effort.

"As a coach, now I have to tease their heart. Do you want to go home or do you want to stay.''

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20030926/SLANG26/TPSports/Other

Pressure gets to prodigy

Coping with high expectations is as difficult as learning the game for Lang

By PETER MALLETT

Friday, September 26, 2003 - Page S6

TORONTO -- Ever since bursting onto the international stage last year at the age of 15, the expectations placed on Kara Lang to become an instant impact player were always too high, a little overinflated. Going into this year's women's World Cup soccer tournament, that has changed -- the pressure became overwhelming.

It's as if Lang, now 16, is being hyped as a larger than life goal-scoring threat and one that could take over the game at the drop of a hat.

After all, the Oakville, Ont., midfielder was the youngest player ever to represent her country and the youngest ever to score an international goal when she bulged the twine for Canada's senior women's team in an Algarve Cup match against Wales in March, 2002.

Some said she had the skill and ability of Canadian veteran striker Charmaine Hooper and there were even comparisons drawn with United States legend Mia Hamm, since Hamm started with the United States program at almost as young an age.

But others including Canada's own media information guide saw even more in Lang's potential, noting it took Hamm a full three years to score her first international goal while Lang accomplished that feat in her second game for Canada.

The bubble appeared to have burst in her World Cup debut on Saturday in Columbus, Ohio, though, a 4-1 loss to Germany that saw Canadian head coach Even Pellerud substitute Rhian Wilkinson for Lang at half-time.

Not a disaster for most players who would have been glad to just stick their cleats into Crew Stadium's lush green turf in a World Cup match, but for a player of Lang's ability it was an obvious disappointment.

Pellerud said Lang looked "tired and short of breath" and admitted the amount of pressure placed on her shoulders was just too much.

"That is a problem in Canada -- we have a problem with our soccer perspective," Pellerud said. "I think all the attention on her has made the expectations too high -- they are far too high. This is a talented girl. But soccer is a technical and tactical game.

"That is where we are right now. She is still learning the game. Kara has to take the next step from being a raw talent to becoming a sophisticated well-balanced player and that is quite a step."

After her initial disappointment Saturday, Pellerud said he was impressed with her performance Wednesday against Argentina, when Lang played the full 90 minutes, and set up Canada's second goal by crossing the ball to the foot of striker Christine Latham.

Now the pressure appears to be back on as Lang and her teammates are in the hunt for a berth in the quarter-finals, needing a win against Japan in Foxboro, Mass., on Saturday in their final opening round match in order to finish second in their group and qualify for the next phase.

Despite the hype and fanfare surrounding Lang, she has retained a down-to-earth approach since setting foot on the international stage.

"The further I go and the better the competition I play against just makes me realize how much I have to improve," Lang said. "It's humbling to play with players like Charmaine Hooper -- and sometimes I look at them and think I'll never have the skill or game sense like they do but it gives me motivation."

It's this humility that experienced coaches such as the Danish born Pellerud take to heart, realizing Lang not only has incredible talent but a soccer intellect to match.

They also look for more sophisticated things from players than most North American sports fans who will often gauge an athlete's success by goals, touchdowns or runs batted in.

Lang was selected to Canada's under-16 squad in 2001 after leading her youth club the Oakville Angels to the Ontario Cup and her former youth coach George Stobermann never forgot their last meeting.

"I think my last words to her when she was leaving the program for international duty were remember those people that got you there and make sure that you recognize where you are and just be humble," Stobermann said.

quote:Originally posted by Auger9

some articles:

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/story.asp?id=8BA46E14-67A8-4C9B-A167-09991A1695D6

Go big or go home

John Korobanik

Journal Sports Writer

BOSTON -

"the South Americans used their speed to beat Canada to the balls."

What? Canada kept kicking the balls to them. Speed was not an issue.

some articles:

Go big or go home

John Korobanik

Journal Sports Writer

BOSTON -

"the South Americans used their speed to beat Canada to the balls."

What? Canada kept kicking the balls to them. Speed was not an issue.

quote:Originally posted by eastcoaster

Use Moscato, she is a great midfielder. If she is not matchfit, as some people have mentioned..why the hell is she on the team. If she is on the team, she should be ready to go.

Maybe she is on the team because, even though she couldn't be ready for the first round, they expect her to be ready for the quarterfinals, which take place something like two weeks (valuable healing time) after the roster was due.

quote:Originally posted by eastcoaster

Use Moscato, she is a great midfielder. If she is not matchfit, as some people have mentioned..why the hell is she on the team. If she is on the team, she should be ready to go.

Maybe she is on the team because, even though she couldn't be ready for the first round, they expect her to be ready for the quarterfinals, which take place something like two weeks (valuable healing time) after the roster was due.

What I always admired about most countries is that their fans support their National teams with passion. Obviously this site's purpose is the same and bravo to all of you as contributors.

Let's put one thing into perspective tonight as our team is burdened with the resonsibility of tomorrow match agaisnt Japan.

Their dedication to their countries national team will not be rewarded with rich pro soccer contracts and multi-million dollar endorsements. They are playing for their country.

As the team toured Canada this summer they were greeted by an adoring public who filled stadiums from coast to coast. They responded by winning every game. Never before has a National rewarded the public with so much success. Some may say they feasted on easy oppenents, but they still won every game including against Brazil twice.

The players worked for all of this, day by day practice by practice.

This was the best soccer summer in our history.

For those of you who dismiss the significance of women's soccer that is your problem and this attitude won't help build up the game in our country.

We now have the responsibility as supporter to rally up our friends and families and stand behind our team as Canadians, whatever the result.

"I consider this team extremely strong, mentally," he said. "What's happened here surprises me. Saturday we have to play with confidence, aggressiveness, intensity."

These words from Pellerud come a bit as a surprise to me, unless he was misquoted. I personally heard him say about the team before the WC that "their self-esteem recovery is yet not as strong as some Europeans".

So far this seems to have been prophetic. I hope his prophecy will come to and end against Japan. For the sake of the women game in our country, I really would like to see them win. I will be satisfied if at least we can make it out of the group.

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

What I always admired about most countries is that their fans support their National teams with passion. Obviously this site's purpose is the same and bravo to all of you as contributors.

Let's put one thing into perspective tonight as our team is burdened with the resonsibility of tomorrow match agaisnt Japan.

Their dedication to their countries national team will not be rewarded with rich pro soccer contracts and multi-million dollar endorsements. They are playing for their country.

As the team toured Canada this summer they were greeted by an adoring public who filled stadiums from coast to coast. They responded by winning every game. Never before has a National rewarded the public with so much success. Some may say they feasted on easy oppenents, but they still won every game including against Brazil twice.

The players worked for all of this, day by day practice by practice.

This was the best soccer summer in our history.

For those of you who dismiss the significance of women's soccer that is your problem and this attitude won't help build up the game in our country.

We now have the responsibility as supporter to rally up our friends and families and stand behind our team as Canadians, whatever the result.

:D win or lose, im still behind the team, would be nice for them to pull it off though...

Coach Eiji Ueda has called for a rousing and heroic effort. "We'll give it everything we've got," he promised. Striker Homare Sawa, the star of the opening game, looked ahead to the Group showdown in upbeat mood: "We're very optimistic, and we're more than ready to take on Canada."

only thing is, Japan's going into this game with nothing to lose, they'll bring out everything they have, our team's pride is at stake, so is soccer in this country.

by Trillium

So what does Even say to his team today ?

The press has already covered how he feels Lang and crumbled, does he do something to bring her back up ?

Can he push any emotional buttons to get the players to have more heart so that they are truly first to the ball ?

If he plays Matheson, will he tell her to ensure her tackles are successful and not just numerous ?

What does he say to Hooper, or is he looking over his shoulder, Americans a female coach, Germany a female Coach, ah...Hooper a Canadian National Coach now that WUSA looks very shaky for next year ?

What about those players on the bench, the ones he seems not to know are riding the pine, what does he say to them....your time will come ?

Has Even made sure Kevan Pipe and the rest of the 20 plus CSA admistrators and hanger on contingent are not near the players, or indeed will the CSA president bring his accent to join Peleruds in calling for National Pride, digging deep for the Maple Leaf ?

Remember folks, team management includes, players head space, knowing what will make them dig deep, along with tactical competence, and player skill preparation.

We can judge Even on : Tactical brillance ( see Canada vs Argentina ), Skill preparation ( see Canada vs Germany )Psycological.... ah here is the rub we have to go back to Canada at the U19 tournament to see any blood on the sleeve heart, and the question is was it the City of Champions the 12th player who gave that squad a injection of heart, or was it the coaching staff and players ?

If I was Even, I would be making a quick call to Kabul, to have one of the Canadian soldiers ( yes a woman ) talk to the team over the speaker phone, telling them being there for your country wearing the maple leaf is a privlege, something valuable be it playing a sport game or carrying a gun ...

This Canadian team needs to go to war today, they need to put a real fire in their bellies.

If they dont have it, that look in their eyes in the warm up we are done.

Over to you Even, do you know what cutural references will ignite your players, or do you think there is no hope and you have given up ?

Sportsnet said andrea neil still has a hamstring injury, she may or may not play. Lang injured her ankle, she had to do a light practice, and her ankle was heavily iced.

I wonder whick keeper will get the start. LeBlanc has the most experience, Swiatek played well on wednesday and is probably the most agile keeper, McLeod hasn't played yet but she's probably got the most heart for it.

http://www.canoe.ca/OttawaSports/os.os-09-27-0084.html

Saturday, September 27, 2003

Canucks set to go for broke

By TERRY JONES, Sun Media

BOSTON, MASS. -- It's a go-home game. And there's only one way to go into it and that's to go for it.

"I'm going out there and I'm going to bust my ass like I've never busted my ass before,'' Calgary's Christine Latham said yesterday.

"We're not going home (today). Period.''

It's Portland or Bust for the Canadians when they play Japan at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass., today at the women's World Cup (Rogers Sportsnet, 7 p.m.).

The winner advances to the quarter-final against either China or Russia in Portland, Ore. The loser, if you listen to Latham, gets a trip to Tokyo.

This isn't about anything other than attitude, says the striker who scored in the 79th and 82nd minutes to haul Canada out of the dumpster and deliver a 3-0 win over Argentina on Wednesday in Columbus, Ohio.

"It doesn't matter about our confidence and why we didn't play well against Germany (a 4-1 loss) and why we didn't beat Argentina 8-0 or anything, but just busting our ass and winning one game,'' Latham said yesterday.

It's time to be the team, she indicates, that American coach April Heinrichs said "is reckless, destructive, scrappy and show absolutely no concern for their own bodies.''

NO POINTS FOR STYLE

Latham says bustin' butt to kick butt is all they have to think about.

"If we beat Japan 1-0, I don't care how ugly it is,'' she said.

Canadian coach Even Pellerud hasn't been concentrating on anything technical since his team arrived at the tournament.

"This game is about how much you want to be here as opposed to going home,'' he said. "That's the thing that will decide the outcome of this game ... It has to come from inside every player.

"If we play our best, like we did this summer, we would dominate them,'' he said of the Japanese team, which has been shut out in nine of the 12 World Cup games it has played.

"We have to come back and play aggressive soccer ... we just need to turn our heads and get back to our own style.''

One problem with the Canadian team is its inexperience. The squad has been playing afraid-to-make-a-mistake soccer. Players who normally want the ball haven't played like they wanted the ball.

And Pellerud says that has to change.

''The problem is the stage and getting here and becoming hesitant. You have to go for it,'' he said. "We just have to go out there and decide to win. It's a kind of back-to-basics time for us.''

Assistant coach Ian Bridge agreed.

"We have to play the same way all our women's teams are coached to play. Go forward. Attack. Play attacking soccer,'' he said.

"All we have to do is be Canada.''

Nothing to lose? What about the chance of going onto the next stage?

I think we're in a better position mentally, because we don't have the burden of having to decide whether to conserve a tie (which Japan can, seeing as how they are ahead on goal differential) or going for the win.

Canada comes into this match knowing one thing and one thing only - we must score goals.

This creates a scenario where Canada can commit to their gameplan.

Japan, on the other hand, may be experiencing some conflict as to how to approach the game. This can defintely lead to on-field problems, as maybe not all players are on the same page (some looking to stay defensive, some looking to score goals..) and there might be some hesitation in whatever they do. Be it attacking (especially so) or defending.

For Canada it's simple, for Japan.. Not so much.

Coach Eiji Ueda has called for a rousing and heroic effort. "We'll give it everything we've got," he promised. Striker Homare Sawa, the star of the opening game, looked ahead to the Group showdown in upbeat mood: "We're very optimistic, and we're more than ready to take on Canada."

only thing is, Japan's going into this game with nothing to lose, they'll bring out everything they have, our team's pride is at stake, so is soccer in this country.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Nothing to lose? What about the chance of going onto the next stage?

I think we're in a better position mentally, because we don't have the burden of having to decide whether to conserve a tie (which Japan can, seeing as how they are ahead on goal differential) or going for the win.

[...]

Japan, on the other hand, may be experiencing some conflict as to how to approach the game. This can defintely lead to on-field problems, as maybe not all players are on the same page (some looking to stay defensive, some looking to score goals..) and there might be some hesitation in whatever they do. Be it attacking (especially so) or defending.

For Canada it's simple, for Japan.. Not so much.

I agree completely, but I'd add that Japan would probably not want to go into the bunker for this one. If Canada plays like they're able to, the bunker can be a risky ploy.

My guess is that Japan will try to take away the midfield, as the Germans certainly we able to. That means it's time for our mids to step up. I almost wonder whether a 4-4-2 would be preferable to a 4-3-3, with maybe Sinclair dropping back. She's got the size and toughness, and Lang and Latham should be able to get the goals in. Plus Sinclair can get in on set pieces etc.

I still feel very optimistic about this. I also feel annoyed that Sportsnet still isn't working for me! Argh!

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Archived