WUSA - Is the W-League ready to step up?

Chet

Nordby1 on the BigSoccer boards posted the following. Looks like the feeding frenzy for displaced WUSA players has begun. It will be interesting to see which women's league emerges as the best once things settle down.

I hope the W-League and its teams aren't sleeping. The demise of WUSA presents a great opportunity for the W-League to improve its profile and its quality of play. How exciting would it be to see Hooper, Nonen, Latham et al playing in Edmonton next year! Imagine the publicity the team would get from signing one of those players. But I'm thinking the league will have to act fast or all the Canadian and US National team players will end up playing in Europe.

Does the W-League have the resources to compete with the Norwegian Toppserien for the top international players? They would have to expand their season, I think, to attract many of the better players. But surely the audience for women's soccer is at least as large in North America as it is in Europe.

quote:I just saw an article posted at the Norwegian website "toppserien.com" that is reporting that the club Kolbotn, last year's league champions, wants to sign Dagny Mellgren, the all-time leading scorer in WUSA history. The article also mentions that one of Kolbotn's best players, Solveig Gulbrandsen, would have probably left Norway to play in the WUSA if the league had not collapsed.

I thought it was also interested that in this article Ragnhild Gulbrandsen, Dagny's former Norwegian teammate on the Boston Breakers, mentioned the possibility of USWNT players Kate Sobrero and Kristine Lilly coming over to play for Ragnhild's club Trondheims-Ørn.

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

W-League could create a pro league giving us W-league 1 (the new) and W-league 2 (the old)...

So then why bother? Present teams in the W-League are there because it's cheaper than being in a professional league. So they'd remain in the amateur one (the old) and the new teams from the WUSA will be in the new league, so in essence you still have two seperate leagues!

The pay doesn't have to be high, it just has to be competitive with other leagues. With WUSA out of the picture, all the players will have to settle for far less money than they might have expected otherwise. If a living legend like Hooper can draw 300 more fans per game plus one or two additional sponsors, then her contract pays for itself.

It may not matter. Looking more and more like the WUSA is going to survive a bit longer. If only they would ditch the import restriction so more Canadians would have a shot at playing professionally.

The pay doesn't have to be high, it just has to be competitive with other leagues. With WUSA out of the picture, all the players will have to settle for far less money than they might have expected otherwise. If a living legend like Hooper can draw 300 more fans per game plus one or two additional sponsors, then her contract pays for itself.

It may not matter. Looking more and more like the WUSA is going to survive a bit longer. If only they would ditch the import restriction so more Canadians would have a shot at playing professionally.

Archived